Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Akubra colors.....? Voilà!

jazzncocktails said:
My Fed IV standard arrived yesterday with the same brim, Wolfwood. I haven't worked on it yet, but clearly have a job ahead of me.

My standard Fed IV also arrived with a Deluxe sweatband, which was a nice bonus...anyone else have that happen? Is that common?

Also, I ordered the Tawny Fawn, which I imagined would be much blonder/more tan than it is--a bit of a bummer. Does Akubra publish a print catalog that they'll ship to the states? Photos on the monitor don't always/often provide a true sense of the color in real life, I'm discovering.

This is under the "Links to Important Forum Threads" sticky in Hats-http://www.akubra.com.au/pdf/Akubra%20colour%20swatch%20card.pdf

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
skyvue said:
How did you achieve that upturn, Paladin? I asked this in another thread and got an answer or two, but I'd be interested in hearing what worked for you.

My Stylemasters both came a bit flatter in the brim than I like.

I followed some variation of info I found on various old threads here. I used steam on the back brim and about 90* down the sides (one side at a time). I then immediately put it on a clean marble countertop and used a small rounded, stemless wineglass, lifted the hat to curl the brim, and rolled the glass along the brim to set a nice smooth edge with just the amount of curl I wanted. It is then easy to even up each side to the center rear and you are set. It worked well for me. Sorry I don't know who to credit for the base idea but I read it on the old threads long before I was a member.

panama jack

One of the Regulars
skyvue said:
Except both of my Stylemasters came with very little upturn. I wish they had more.

that's strange because my Stylemaster from E.A. has quite a lot uf upturn on the brim. I was considering trying to flatten out the back portion of the brim a little bit.

pj

jec

One of the Regulars
panama jack said:
that's strange because my Stylemaster from E.A. has quite a lot uf upturn on the brim. I was considering trying to flatten out the back portion of the brim a little bit.

pj

My Stylemaster came with more upturn than I wanted, too and shortly after it arrived, I used steam to flatten it a bit. (I also narrowed the front pinch)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I think it may be that I like a bit more upturn than many here. Also, they shipped my two hats together, one inside the other. Perhaps that flattened the brims?

One of my Stylemasters -- the bluegrass green one -- I've decided is okay as is, but the "navy" one (I've still not found a trace of blue tint to it) isn't working out so great, alas.

jec

One of the Regulars
skyvue said:
One of my Stylemasters -- the bluegrass green one -- I've decided is okay as is, but the "navy" one (I've still not found a trace of blue tint to it) isn't working out so great, alas.

Are we going to see photos?

panama jack

One of the Regulars
jec said:
My Stylemaster came with more upturn than I wanted, too and shortly after it arrived, I used steam to flatten it a bit. (I also narrowed the front pinch)

Jec,
Is that another Stylemaster in your avatar? If so, what color is it?

pj

jec

One of the Regulars
panama jack said:
Jec,
Is that another Stylemaster in your avatar? If so, what color is it?

pj

PJ-

No, that's a Stetson open-road style western that I had converted by Optimo. (the sweatband was so worn, I couldn't tell if it actually said "Open Road" on it). Some months ago I posted before and after images, but I forget what thread they are on.

My only Stylemaster is a mid-gray.

panama jack

One of the Regulars
jec said:
PJ-

No, that's a Stetson open-road style western that I had converted by Optimo. (the sweatband was so worn, I couldn't tell if it actually said "Open Road" on it). Some months ago I posted before and after images, but I forget what thread they are on.

My only Stylemaster is a mid-gray.

jec,
Looks like Optimo did a nice conversion for you.

pj

pauljmuk

New in Town
well, i'm trying my damndest, and I've just bought my first akubra (cattleman).... you see, I have one of those addictive personalities that my wife seems to love and hate in equal measure.
As an example, I play guitar - nothing serious, just for fun, and some occasional jams with friends down the local pub. Tell me then, considering that I am NOT a professional musician, why do I own three electric guitars, two acoustics, one banjo, one ukelele, one mandolin and a didgeridoo? The reason is simple.... I get Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS).
So

Anyway, as I said, always wanted an Akubra, and now I own one. Then I stumble across this site..... and now I can feel the madness starting again..... she went mad when I bought a guitar rack capable of holding 5 guitars at a time.... now I feel I'm gonna need a hat rack soon!

Thanks all!

jec

One of the Regulars
pauljmuk said:
Anyway, as I said, always wanted an Akubra, and now I own one. Then I stumble across this site..... and now I can feel the madness starting again..... she went mad when I bought a guitar rack capable of holding 5 guitars at a time.... now I feel I'm gonna need a hat rack soon!

Thanks all!

You are DOOMED! lol

CRH

Call Me a Cab
pauljmuk said:
...Tell me then, considering that I am NOT a professional musician, why do I own three electric guitars, two acoustics, one banjo, one ukelele, one mandolin and a didgeridoo? The reason is simple.... ...

See you in hell you greedy ba***rd :whip:

And you better show up because I will not sit through hell without some musical entertainment :D.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Well, it's bad, you know.....as R.L. Burnside used to say. I paid a chunk of money for this hat
r25.JPG
this afternoon, and I'm still not over it. A good definition of addiction is when you can't NOT do something.....and I couldn't not win this hat....no matter what. I'd say I can stop any time, but that would be a lie. I really can't.

jec

One of the Regulars
Daoud said:
Well, it's bad, you know.....as R.L. Burnside used to say. I paid a chunk of money for this hat
r25.JPG
this afternoon, and I'm still not over it. A good definition of addiction is when you can't NOT do something.....and I couldn't not win this hat....no matter what. I'd say I can stop any time, but that would be a lie. I really can't.

That's a nice hat. I would have been bidding on it , too- if it had been a smaller size. Enjoy it.

An item like that does not show up on EBay often - so you gotta go for it when it's there. No excuses needed.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
It is my size and I almost bid on it ....

Had I not just received the first of three Akubras ordered, I would have needed the hat fix and been your competition!

Congrats :eusa_clap

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Well, I hope it's as nice as it looks. Being fairly new to the world of vintage hats, I am just a wee bit freaked out about spending more for an old hat than a new one. But, as noted, you don't see something like this come up every day.

It's kind of odd- you don't see very many old Akubras for sale, even on eBay.au- I guess folks just wear them until there's nothing left, which is me- I'll never get rid of any of mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo