Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Chuck Bobuck said:
.. I like my Squatter with a centerdent. That is just 1 karate chop to the top and I like the back of the crown lower than the front, so I just push that down with my fingers and shape. easy with a little practice. A little water helps you mold it like clay. YMMV.

JR_Sqtr_3-2.jpg

Chuck, that's the hat that inspired me when I was first thinking about a Squatter :D ! You have a nice subtle classic look there. I didn't put it together that this was your hat until seeing the pic again. I really dig Akubra's moonstone.

I'd sure like to see some side shots of that hat if possible.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
CRH said:
Chuck, that's the hat that inspired me when I was first thinking about a Squatter :D ! You have a nice subtle classic look there. I didn't put it together that this was your hat until seeing the pic again. I really dig Akubra's moonstone.

Thanks CRH! I like moonstone also. I'll try and catch up on some pics this weekend.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Great Guides

Mr_Misanthropy said:
I'll bash it again with more steam and more brute force and keep you all updated.
Before you steam bash it, you might want to check out the following thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10272

Matt provides some great examples of dry bashes at the top of page 1, which I tend to like the look of--I steam the brim when necessary, as on my Fed IV, but leave the crown dry.

Then check out the great video for creating a basic diamond bash posted by Dinerman on page 2 of the same thread. I found this very helpful with my first open crown fedora.

The talented and knowledgeable folks on this website helped me with my first bash, and I'd made essentially the same mistake as you--front crown too low, back crown too high. The advice HarpPlayerGene and others recommended: make sure the back of your crown is 1/4" to 1/2" lower than the front. You might try that out, too.

As you get more confident with the bash, you'll feel more confident in the fedora. Own it!

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
jazzncocktails said:
Before you steam bash it, you might want to check out the following thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10272

Matt provides some great examples of dry bashes at the top of page 1, which I tend to like the look of--I steam the brim when necessary, as on my Fed IV, but leave the crown dry.
A caveat to my earlier post: I misread that this was a conversion from a porkpie to another type of crease. Yeah, Daoud and CRH are right, go for the steam on this one.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Oh, yeah- I shoulda said-I only bring out the steam or water when I have to do some major re-configuring- on a nice new hat, or a good old one, a dry bash works great. Most of my hats, though, have come to me in some form of squashed-ness or other deformity which won't respond to gentle persuasion.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Daoud said:
Oh, yeah- I shoulda said-I only bring out the steam or water when I have to do some major re-configuring- on a nice new hat, or a good old one, a dry bash works great. Most of my hats, though, have come to me in some form of squashed-ness or other deformity which won't respond to gentle persuasion.

I'd rekon a Squatter would be a prime candidate for the "Journey to the Bottom of the Dunk Tank".

Better than getting kicked of your horse into a river by some Silverbelly cowboy.......

Now get that hat in the tank son and squeeze it around. I won't have you look'in like some poor folk when the drovers get here.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
I just joined the club...

This weekend I finally pulled the trigger on a Fed IV deluxe from HD & the day before got a sweet deal on a 'gently used' :rolleyes: Overlander heritage off the bay for under $40.00 shipped!

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
So I should forego steam and all that jazz and just dunk my hat into some cold water and shape it? I didn't get to it this afternoon like I wanted, but I should have some time to pay attention to it tomorrow. I wish they would have just sent it open crowned instead of this pork pie shape.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Mr_Misanthropy said:
...I wish they would have just sent it open crowned instead of this pork pie shape.

Igreed.

However, Mr_Misanthropy, we have survived for the last 40,000 years not because we are full of good ideas - we have survived because we are lucky and creative. And your are lucky too because you get to punch open that crown and run it under the faucet until the hat starts to feel heavy. Now get that Squatter wet and wring it out and punch it out and squeeze it out and pinch it out and .............

Get your groove on Baby! Squeeze that bad boy like silly putty!

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
lol CRH, you crack me up. I think you're more excited about shaping this hat than I am! I'm a few too many martinis along tonight to start working on it, but I promise, if I'm not working tomorrow I'll turn it into a wearable hat! Please, be patient! I need a nice long black coat to go with it now...

Wil Tam

Practically Family
if anyone is interested in a black fed iv ...

just a heads up --- when I checked out after my order, Ron the sale dood emailed me my confirmation I asked if there would be any other additional colors added for the fed .. he informed me that the black version will be available in 60 days ..

----------------
Now playing: Iron & Wine - Bird Stealing Bread
via FoxyTunes

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Mr_Misanthropy said:
....I think you're more excited about shaping this hat than I am! ...

Hmmm..... Does it show? I'm excited that we are going to have more Squatter pics in Akubra Overload!

hpim06081.jpg

hpim06151.jpg

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Mr_Misanthropy said:
lol CRH, you crack me up. I think you're more excited about shaping this hat than I am! I'm a few too many martinis along tonight to start working on it, but I promise, if I'm not working tomorrow I'll turn it into a wearable hat! Please, be patient! I need a nice long black coat to go with it now...

Now don't be carrying on like this is gonna be an all-day project, especially if you are going to dunk it. Get it wet, shape it a bit, and Bob's yer flippin' uncle.
You won't be doing anything permanent, y'know. And if you can type when you've had a few, you can sure as hell shape a hat! Perhaps you need to ask yourself, "what would Dr. Thompson do?" I think in your heart you know the answer to that one!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Daoud said:
Now don't be carrying on like this is gonna be an all-day project, especially if you are going to dunk it. Get it wet, shape it a bit, and Bob's yer flippin' uncle.
You won't be doing anything permanent, y'know. And if you can type when you've had a few, you can sure as hell shape a hat! Perhaps you need to ask yourself, "what would Dr. Thompson do?" I think in your heart you know the answer to that one!

lol

There is one thing permanent about a black hat.... it's permanently covered with any and everything that floats through the air :eek:.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
RBH said:
Now that looks great!!!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks, RBH. My wife loves this hat. She digs the black and she really digs the crease. So this Squatter has become the bar in our family by which any future hats will be judged.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Heck, I'm sure Dr. Thompson could have bashed a hat after a few martinis, and whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers.. then he would have written an award winning article about it. But you're right, I just need to get it done. Right after this post I will!

CRH - Man, that hat looks great. I don't believe mine is the same hat. :) As for the dust, etc... I have a black cat, so, luckily all his hair won't show too much on my hat. Of course, I could just not allow the cat to wear the hat. (Small joke... very small) I'll get it done and have pics up by tonight when/if I am successful.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Mr_Misanthropy said:

CRH - Man, that hat looks great. I don't believe mine is the same hat. :) As for the dust, etc... I have a black cat, so, luckily all his hair won't show too much on my hat. Of course, I could just not allow the cat to wear the hat. (Small joke... very small) I'll get it done and have pics up by tonight when/if I am successful.

I once left one of my lids upside down on the dining room table. I returned to find the cat sitting there inside my hat! I went to grab the camera and the cat had move before I returned. My wife and I still just laugh and laugh about "The Cat n the Hat" :D

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
CRH said:
Chuck, that's the hat that inspired me when I was first thinking about a Squatter ...

CRH, here's a couple of side views of the Squatter.

IMG_3449-1.jpg

IMG_3444-1-1.jpg

...and a shot inside.

IMG_3458-1.jpg

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Besides the difference in ribbons and colors, it looks to me as if the Squatter and the Campdraft are the same hat. Could someone tell me if that's the case?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran