Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
EDIT: UNFORTUNATELY, I'VE BASHED THIS ONE AND WET IT TOO MANY TIMES, AND GETTING THE STRAIGHT-SIDED LOOK IS UNLIKELY AT THIS POINT. This, however, is not bad news, as it simply means I'll just have to buy another Squatter! That is great news, because I love this hat.

Holy guacamole! What do you do to your hats? Either you are the hardest wearing hat-wearer ever, or you have a strange concept of what requires replacing.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Disregard my earlier statement...I essentially realized that I was talking about shaping a Squatter like a Campdraft.

Eventually I thought "Why not just buy a Campdraft?" and then I realized how ridiculous I sounded before.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I received my size 7 3/4 Squatter today from bolthead. The brim got a little misshapen during shipping, but I can work that out. I like it.

squatter.jpg

Neophyte

Does anyone own an Akubra Whippet?

I'm trying to find any information on this hat, specifically the type of block it has. By this I mean: Does it have a more oval or round crown, and does it have taper?

I'd like to have a short-brim hat with little taper to it, to counteract the massive brim on my Squatter. Anyone?

I'd also like to know if anyone knows of any differences between the DavidMorgan Squatter and the HatsDirect Squatter; that deep fawn Squatter on DavidMorgan has caught my eye...

Neophyte said:
I'd also like to know if anyone knows of any differences between the DavidMorgan Squatter and the HatsDirect Squatter; that deep fawn Squatter on DavidMorgan has caught my eye...
DavidMorgan is an Imperial Quality felt with a liner & chinstrap hooks where HatsDirect is a Superfine Quality/Featherweight no liner.

Neophyte said:
I'm not sure that's right, as my HatsDirect willow green Squatter has a liner that says "Imperial Quality".
Interesting, the one I have doesn't. Akubra may have gone back to the Imperial for recent runs because a year or so back they were Featherweight & no liners. I don't see the grommet holes in your photos so I'm guessing no chinstrap hooks. That may be only difference from DMs now.

Neophyte

That's pretty interesting. I don't even know what Superfine is...how old is your Squatter? Is Superfine a better quality fur than Imperial?

Neophyte said:
That's pretty interesting. I don't even know what Superfine is...how old is your Squatter? Is Superfine a better quality fur than Imperial?
Not really, it is a lighter weight = not as dense as the Imperial. Like the difference between a Dress weight & a lite weight beaver that Art at VS Custom used to offer. IMHO

Neophyte

You know what, I just realized from pics that the DavidMorgan Squatter DOES have ventilation holes/chinstrap hooks, right above the ribbon. Now I know what y'all were talking about...
I honestly have no idea what difference there is between "lightweight" or "dress weight" felt, except for thickness of the felt. I only own three hats, all Akubra Imperial Quality (though the Fedora is extremely soft and supple), so I'm still inexperienced in the hat world. Add that vintage hats in size 59cm are an absolute NIGHTMARE to chase down, and I'd have to say...I'm pretty new at this.

Thank you for explaining that to me. I keep hearing about "lightweight", "Artlite", and "Superfine," but I'd no idea what these were.

Vintage 7 3/8 hats are out there, more abundant than my 7 5/8 size. Unfortunately, 7 3/8 puts you in the size with other Loungers who are GREAT at landing them.

Akubra Imperial Quality are like dress weight felts the hatters get from Winchester. The hatters just pounce them more so they end up with a much higher finish than what Akubra puts out. Until you've handled them, knowing the difference is near impossible.

Neophyte

True, there are vintage hats out there for my head somewhere, but they are really hard to find, at least for me. I even tried JohnnyPhi, but the largest hats there were 7 1/2.

The only experience I have related to hats are wearing them. I've much to learn.

Neophyte

Well, since I've posted so many Squatter pics already, and I'm waiting for a response from EverythingAustralian regarding a Bluegrass Green Campdraft, I'll just post another pic:

SquatterStylin-1.jpg

Covenant07

New in Town
She's certainly fashion forward.......

I don't believe I would have ever imagined saying that a combination of a brown Fed IV and pink crocs looks adorable. But there you have it. It does, and she's beautiful. I love these kid pictures in the different threads.

Neophyte

Alright, guys. It's taken several weeks of numerous "showers", but my Fed IV has been rebashed, something I thought for sure couldn't be fixed. It is now exactly as I'd like it, although the brim is about .20'' shorter all the way around the hat, giving it a stingy profile (at least for me, as I've been wearing the 3'' brim Squatter for quite a while now). I'm very much liking it, though it still needs some work.

FederationReborn-1.jpg

If only I could have a hat that merges the best characteristics of both the Federation IV and the Squatter, and in green:

Oh Wait! That's called an Akubra Campdraft in bluegrass green!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
See? Everyone told you it would turn out okay. It is looking good. Perhaps the Squatter has changed your perspective, but that is definitely not a stingy brim.

Tone

A-List Customer
And if you want another FED IV, just trim the binding off your Campdraft and give it a "dimensional" cut.

Or, send your FED IV in to have it bound back into a Campdraft - only with a dimensional cut.

Or, trim the binding off the Squatter (now that you've had a couple hats and starting to understand how hat shaping works) and make yourself the kind of Stylemaster people actually want the Stylemaster to be.

Enjoy the Campdraft, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails