Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
I had recently asked the customer service at DavidMorgan to provide me with a picture of their Akubra Squatter in Mid-Fawn. It seems that they are soon to be updating several of their websites hat photos, and sent me this pic to show me what the new Squatter photo will look like. :eusa_clap Beautiful, isn't it:

Which one do you guys like better?

Personally, I like them both. I'm thinking of making the Sydney my next felt purchase... but plan on making a straw my immediately next purchase.

I like the richness of that Squatter.

Randy

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you don't yet have the Fedora/Sydney, I highly recommend it. It's quite the pleasure to wear, though I'm still trying to find a shape that looks good on my noggin. It's a great thing the felt is so supple, though, it makes my job much easier.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Tawny Fawn Federation IV

My Fed arrived this afternoon. From opening the box, I had a series of "what the heck?" moments. Firstly, the color, I didn't realize that Tawny Fawn was so dark... it's not a major issue, but I was hoping for a lighter color...
IMG_5573.jpg

I tried the hat on a few times before removing the foam from around the ribbon. When I finally did, I had my second "what the heck?" moment. This is the wonkiest ribbon I've seen on an Akubra. It's just umm... yeah... uhh.
IMG_5576.jpg

Reminds me more of Christy's ribbon work than Akubra. [huh] Here's the ribbon on my Fed Deluxe for reference's sake.
IMG_5580.jpg

The liner, for once doesn't have little picks in it from the cardboard insert! Seriously, does anyone else have that problem with HatsDirect?

The fit is spot on, as usual. No complaints in that department.

Small grievances aside and overall, I'm pleased with the hat. But am considering a ribbon replacement in the near future.

Randy

Neophyte

It looks great, enjoy it (you know, except for the ribbon).

Post some outdoors pics sometime if you can. I wasn't considering a Tawny Fawn/Taupe Fawn hat because I thought it would be too bright, but your impressions of the hat, while discouraging to you, are encouraging to me. Odd how life works, isn't it.

At any rate, it's a beautiful hat, and about time someone other than me recently contributed to this thread ;) .

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
theinterchange said:
I tried the hat on a few times before removing the foam from around the ribbon. When I finally did, I had my second "what the heck?" moment. This is the wonkiest ribbon I've seen on an Akubra. It's just umm... yeah... uhh.

Small grievances aside and overall, I'm pleased with the hat. But am considering a ribbon replacement in the near future.

Randy

You might try a little water on the ribbon and work it a little smoother with your fingers. The bow has the lump in it purposely, it's an IJ thing.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
It looks great, enjoy it (you know, except for the ribbon).

Post some outdoors pics sometime if you can. I wasn't considering a Tawny Fawn/Taupe Fawn hat because I thought it would be too bright, but your impressions of the hat, while discouraging to you, are encouraging to me. Odd how life works, isn't it.

At any rate, it's a beautiful hat, and about time someone other than me recently contributed to this thread ;) .

The ribbon is the only major downfall I can speak of in good conscience. It's about to storm here, or I would have taken outside photos. I'll get that tomorrow.

Chuck Bobuck said:
You might try a little water on the ribbon and work it a little smoother with your fingers. The bow has the lump in it purposely, it's an IJ thing.

I know about Indy ribbons. ;) I was referring to how flat and sloppily sewn it is... reminds me more of the screen used Raiders bow work if it wasn't so flat. haha

Randy

theinterchange

One Too Many
After fiddling with the bow some, it's just not going to do anything. It's sewn taunt but wonky, I can't do much without completely ripping it off and starting over.

Now, I'm debating if I should just change the ribbon or contact HD and see about an exchange... I know I DON'T want to live with the bow as is.

Anyone have experience with their exchange process?

Randy

G MAN

One of the Regulars
Got this new Fed IV Deluxe in June but just bashed it a few minutes ago.
I usually mess around with the bash for day's but I think I'll just leave one as it is.

P1000181.jpg

P1000187.jpg

P1000186.jpg

G MAN

One of the Regulars
jbucklin said:
I like that bash G MAN. It looks very much like mine (see avatar).
Your right, it does look like yours. I had noticed your hat before and I liked the look of it with the wider front pinch and decided then to try it myself.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Until this thread, I thought Akubras were all Cowboy-type hats. Drover-type?

This is my Akubra Leisure Time, which was a gift/souvenir from Australia once upon a time, and rarely gets to leave my closet. Still, I like it.

Akubra_2.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
Hatsdirect exchanges

Randy - I've sent two back to Hatsdirect for different reasons, and they've been smooth transactions. You're just going to be out some shipping money and some time. Contact Jenny and let her know you want to send it back, she'll make it right. Good Luck. Frank

Neophyte

I have decided to get the Sydney over the Squatter, as with my current physique, the Squatter looks a little big. When I pop on a jacket or raincoat, the Squatter fits perfectly in proportion, so I will keep it as my favorite weather hat (or if it's just really bright outside).

So, back to the Akubra Fedora. I would like a brown one, but I have two options.

DavidMorgans' Regency Fawn:
1620reg_lg6.jpg

or
Hatsdirect's Burnt Oak:
fedora-burntoak-large.jpg

They are under different lighting conditions, so I'm not sure how they really appear.

So my question is this: Do any of my fellow Loungers have any experience with Akubra's Regency Fawn or Burnt Oak colors? Opinions and pics and personal experience will all be very helpful.

theinterchange

One Too Many
The Lark said:
This might sound odd, but you actually look like a young Harrison Ford here. I think it's mostly in your eye shape, but the stubble sure helps.

I can see it a bit, myself. Nice hat, you should break it out more often!

I've emailed Jenny about my Federation, but will most likely just change ribbons on this one rather than do a big back and forth to Australia. Just to be clear, I wasn't thinking they'd be a problem to deal with, just wondering how the process went, as in how costly it was to back and forth it.

Randy

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Alright, so I've done something a bit different for my Federation. I sort of wanted to go with a wider front crease, but as the wrinkle from the previous crease-work remains, I've decided to go for a tight crease again, somewhat reminiscent of Raiders of the Lost Ark. The catch? It's a hybrid between that and a traditional teardrop, rather than a center crease. I went with the teardrop or c-crown to create that lower crown effect. I feel as if a slightly lower crown looks better on me in a fedora than the high crown I had with the shallow center dent. For some reason, I can't make a center crease fit right, it has to be shallow to rest on my head comfortably. If my center dent is too deep inside the hat, almost all of my head is effectively outside of the hat, as if it's only touching the top of my scalp, not even "grasping" it.

Pictures coming tomorrow, as it is still drying from my wet water creasing.

Tone

A-List Customer
Maybe...the bow and ribbon need fixed? [huh] You know how that ribbon work can be when it comes to creasing a hat and what kind of shape it will hold. And, man, if that bow is off - "Well, it's ruined, see...can't style it with a bow gone bad, see...Mnyeah..." :eusa_doh:

Seriously now:
J.B., exactly how deep are you trying to make your center dent? (Not that the FED IV doesn't default to a c-crown eventually, but...) Sure you're not trying for something a bit more extreme than a standard, shallow dent that might work? It didn't look too bad last time I saw it. Is it too tapered for a center dent now that a c-crown keeps it wide from the front view? Is it too loose that the hat rides down too low on your head while center dented?

The Lark and Jack Scorpion, I was thinking the same thing. There are undeniably inherent and unforced 'Harrison Ford' -isms in those facial features. (I suppose Hollywood and some chicks might dig it. ;) )

G-Man, congrats on your FED. Nice job.

Interchange...hope that ribbon issue works out. [huh]

The Good

Call Me a Cab
J.B., exactly how deep are you trying to make your center dent? (Not that the FED IV doesn't default to a c-crown eventually, but...) Sure you're not trying for something a bit more extreme than a standard, shallow dent that might work? It didn't look too bad last time I saw it. Is it too tapered for a center dent now that a c-crown keeps it wide from the front view? Is it too loose that the hat rides down too low on your head while center dented?

Actually, I have originally been trying to copy somewhat the previous, and (apparently current) state of one of Harrison Ford's original Raiders of the Lost Ark hats, as seen in this picture, with the center crease and all:

http://www.roadrecumbent.com/Screenused4.JPG

The fedora in this picture appears to be deep, and because of my obsessive compulsive nature, I have been trying to emulate this style. However, I realize that what could have fit well on Harrison Ford's head may not be the case with my own. The best way I can describe the feeling of this attempted crease, is that yes, the hat felt loose on my head if the center crease was too deep into the crown. With a c-crown, it perches on the top of my head comfortably, due to the circular form of this crease. If anything, I think a more shallow dent works best on me.

You're right about the taper to an extent, though, as it is this way now due to the rains it's been through. I think it does look slightly less tapered through the c-crown as opposed to the center dent.

P.S. My Federation's dry now, after a slight modification. Here's a couple of pictures:

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00185.jpg

Excuse the faded, cell-phone quality of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo