Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

CRH

Call Me a Cab
You can definitely get a smoother finish. Just do it evenly and know when to quit.

Sounds like sagely advice to me, right up there with:

- keep your eye on the ball
- keep your stroke smooth and follow through
- just squeeze the trigger
- brake early and accelerate into the turn :eeek:

I think it's the know when to quit part that makes me nervous. :juggle:

indycop

I'll Lock Up

:D well...

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Got this today

ihoi.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Charcoal Homburg

100_1157.jpg

100_1156.jpg

Wow! So they make 'em in charcoal too? I thought it was just black, but that looks great. I don't think you did bad at all. Besides, if you wanted to, you could wear it for the same purposes a black homburg might be intended for anyway, on the subject of black tie events... On the other hand, it looks like a good hat to wear more casually as well, depending on how you wear it. What is Akubra's homburg crown height? My vintage Stetson homburg is about 5 1/2 inches, if I've measured correctly.

EggHead

Practically Family

The one I like is "Quit while you're ahead". This allows me the excuse of not doing anything.

...What do you guys think about using steel wool for sanding?

I guess that could work. I use Ultra Fine grit sandpaper. Ace hardware had a set of these sandpaper fronted sponge-like pads. Had 3 grades, medium, fine & ultra fine. I use the medium after trimming a brim then finish it with the fine. The ultra fine is used for additional pouncing of my Campdrafts. HTH

Panda Moanium

New in Town
New Stylemasters

My new Akubra Stylemasters in Acorn and Moonstone Grey arrived from Hats Direct in time for Christmas. :eusa_clap

1639b.jpg

Great hats, love the style and the colours, both of which are quite chameleon like depending on light conditions. The Moonstone has the standard white lining but the Acorn lining is peach coloured.

The box did get somewhat abused in transit and the Moonstone in particular is a little damaged at the rear which you can see in the upturned photo, but I'm hoping that a little manipulation will sort it out.
b4701.jpg

2207c.jpg

My biggest concern is the size - I was pretty confident ordering size 58 as my only other Akubra, the Banjo Paterson was quite loose when I got it and needed padding out, but over time has become a very comfortable fit. However both Stylemasters are just about ok now, with the Moonstone in particular tending to leave a mark on my forehead, so if they shrink any more which I know Akubras tend to do, I could be in bother.

Otherwise very happy with them, they will go well with more dressy outfits which I was never that comfortable wearing the Banjo with.

57054.jpg

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It sounds like your head may be a bit too oval for the roundness of the Stylemaster. You might have to get it reblocked in the future, or just stretch it over the knee (not a permanent fix, and only as a last resort).

Despite that, the hats look great!

Panda Moanium

New in Town
Thanks Neo, yes I do suspect I have a long oval head looking at how the Banjo Paterson has conformed to my shape over the past few months. I am considering the stretch over the knee technique if they do get tighter, but hopefully they will do their own conforming with a bit of wear.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Neo, yes I do suspect I have a long oval head looking at how the Banjo Paterson has conformed to my shape over the past few months. I am considering the stretch over the knee technique if they do get tighter, but hopefully they will do their own conforming with a bit of wear.

Just don't stretch too hard or you'll pop the stitches lol. The moonstone looks great despite the damage, and both hats look really soft and comfortable.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
"My biggest concern is the size - I was pretty confident ordering size 58 as my only other Akubra, the Banjo Paterson was quite loose when I got it and needed padding out, but over time has become a very comfortable fit. However both Stylemasters are just about ok now, with the Moonstone in particular tending to leave a mark on my forehead, so if they shrink any more which I know Akubras tend to do, I could be in bother."

That's what Hat Jacks are for ! My Mid-Brown was the same way at first, but the felt is so soft that after the first wearing in a good soaking rain and drying on the hat Jack, no more ! I wear my Stylemaster at least 2/3 times a week ( wearing it today in fact ) as it works with well dressed up with a suit/jacket or with a parka and jeans. You'll like it :)

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Just got my first ever Akubra! It's a size 60 Stockman, from the Goodwill auction site. Some store in Illinois had this one: a little dusty, which the air compressor took care of, but brand new as far as I could tell, still with its little care tag tucked inside. What strikes me most is the stiffness of the felt! It reminds me of cheaper Baileys and Stetsons that way. Are they all like that? Do they soften up over time?

Anyhow, i steamed the bejesus out of it, making it into an oval to fit me better, and recreasing it to my liking. I even steamed it while it was on my head so that it'd conform to me. (That probably should've been filmed and posted to some avant-garde dance website.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo