Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

TPD166

One Too Many
The "problem" would actually be my wife's assessment, not mine. I should probably add the two I have bought as gifts . . .

2 Campdraft Deluxes, 4 Imperial Campdrafts, 2 Bushmen, Boss of the Plains, Fed4, Riverina, Dallas, Zephyr = Baker's Dozen...no problem here! [huh]

TPD166

One Too Many
Akubra “Bobby”

I picked this up recently on ebay and had never heard of that model. It is still offered by Akubra, but not in gray and there seem to be no real style differences from the current one. It is an older hat and a size 59, and while I have gotten away from most 7-3/8 hats, I hoped it would fit like a few Akubra 59s I still have.

It didn’t.

I dropped it off for re-blocking, re-sizing, etc. at Texas Hatters a couple of weeks ago. I know David will do a great job, but will then be "new" Texas Hatters hat and no longer an Akubra.

Auction photo:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
In my collection so far, I have two Federation IVs (dark brown and tawny fawn, both with teardrop creases), a tan Bushman with a telescope crown and flipped up brim for most days (pulled down for added sun protection), and a santone fawn Snowy River (with the teardrop crease and slightly rolled sides). I really enjoy my Akubra hats, but my dark brown one was bought six years ago at one size too tight for me, as I would find out. It's still wearable, but sits higher on my head than the other hats. It is extremely unlikely to blow off due to strong winds.

My next Akubra might be this, if I could obtain it:

It's the black Akubra Cowboy, probably only sold by the Nungar Trading Company. I edited the photo of the brown hat to see what black would look like:
http://www.nungar.com.au/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/25_27/products_id/86

I have one black hat in my collection right now, but it is a narrow brimmed homburg, and I wish to supplement it with a wider brimmed hat. I thought about getting a black Akubra Squatter, but they're sold out of the 3" inches even brim width ones formerly sold in the USA (David Morgan), and the ones in Australia have slightly shorter and dimensional brims. The thing about the Squatter is that it may have been a little bit more formal than I might have been comfortable wearing, most days, so something with a leather band in a western style may do me good, without being very wide like the Territory hat.

javadave61

Practically Family
Here's my third Akubra. Camp draft in silverbelly from EA. Quite nice. Not as fine or soft a finish as the Deluxe but about the same stiffness.

I also have another Fed IV and CD Deluxe on the way. Somebody stop me!

Thanks for the close up look at this. I'm in hibernation waiting for mine to arrive.

ingineer

One Too Many
Quick pics
The 12th Akubra , feather weight Squatter on right.
Adventurer slight re-crease left, that seems to take out a lot of taper.
i think i've found my brother a holiday gift, the Squatter , meh

unless i give it the Dean ( copyright) stomp

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Quick pics

Very nice recrease. And that Squatter is sweet! Reminds me of what I did to my Camp Draft only nicer.

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
Quick pics

Nice hats! I am really digging the Squatter. In fact, you've inspired me to try something with a second hand CD I just received.

nidan48

New in Town
Bought my third Akubra, last one was a Squatter about 25 years ago. Was looking to replace it but the weak spot where the pinch in the telescope was isn't an actual hole yet, I steamed out the telescope and but in a center dent with two side dents, don't like the hat touching the top of my head.
Anyway thanks to the info shared here I found out that I couldn't get a Squatter in the USA, but one can buy straight from Australia at great prices.
Maybe the Campdraft cult got to me but it seemed the CD was a Squatter with 3/8" more crown so I bit on Bluegrass Green. Ordered it Wed afternoon, it was here on Monday morning. Too easy.
So getting a new Akubra reminded me of why I kicked my Squatter and Drover around so many years ago. Wow are they stiff. My old ones are softer now, there is a nice flop to the brim. A few seasons of abuse will help soften the CD.
I like the David Morgan hatbands, mine have worn as well as my hats.
Any other good sources for hatbands?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ