Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

BlackSmp

New in Town
I never thought that getting a campdraft to experiment with was so great fun

I’m a sucker for front pinch and “middle of the road” brim size

This feels right!

Attachments

• 5CD0C6B2-F861-47A8-B5BE-6CFFDC80E088.jpeg
    5CD0C6B2-F861-47A8-B5BE-6CFFDC80E088.jpeg
    692.1 KB · Views: 90

jeff

One of the Regulars
jeff, Akubra's Sand and Silverbelly ARE the same color.

Ten or more years ago, I had a color swatch PDF file from Akubra's old web site - alas, lost a couple of computers ago - that showed both names next to the same swatch.

THANK YOU so much, Dr! Clearing up a 15 year conundrum. You really are a wizard!

(I'm sure the answer is also held elsewhere in the treasure-trove of FedoraLounge posts, just never thought to do a search)

Ten or more years ago, I had a color swatch PDF file from Akubra's old web site - alas, lost a couple of computers ago - that showed both names next to the same swatch.

THANK YOU so much, Dr! Clearing up a 15 year conundrum. You really are a wizard!

(I'm sure the answer is also held elsewhere in the treasure-trove of FedoraLounge posts, just never thought to do a search)

4EF12961-96C3-487A-AF59-FFA923BD7FF9.jpeg

The Shoe

One Too Many

I’m not sure if that remains the case. Maybe they have slightly different colours for different retailers. Or maybe the two hats (purchased within a year or so of each other) come from a different run, but as my post from March (below) shows, there is certainly a difference between the Sand and Silverbelly hats that reside in my house.
They had sales on the last of the deluxe models a year or so ago (maybe more).
Hats by the Hundred still has their model listed as Silverbelly. The pictures my be deceiving, but the Silverbelly looks to have a darker ribbon and a slightly different coloured felt.
My Silverbelly Campdraft (purchased from The Hattery) and my wife’s Sand Leisure Time (Hats by the Hundred) are quite different colours. View attachment 412380

I’m not sure if that remains the case. Maybe they have slightly different colours for different retailers. Or maybe the two hats (purchased within a year or so of each other) come from a different run, but as my post from March (below) shows, there is certainly a difference between the Sand and Silverbelly hats that reside in my house.

I have to Akubra’s in silverbelly and they are different colors/tones. I don’t know if it’s a year made or a retailer thing.

The Shoe

One Too Many
I have to Akubra’s in silverbelly and they are different colors/tones. I don’t know if it’s a year made or a retailer thing.

The Sand of Etsuko’s Leisure Time is what I imagined when I bought the Campdraft…I’m a little jealous.
I see the Hattery now offer the Campdraft in Sand rather than Silverbelly. I’m tempted. In fact I’ve asked them about the colour. I’ll let everyone know when I get the reply.

The Shoe

One Too Many
I wonder if it’s the same color just rebranded? Looking forward to your report.

I'm betting that is EXACTLY what is happening. I like the color, but sand is a more appropriate name for the color of my Akubras that were sold as silverbelly.
Unfortunately, that is exactly what is happening. Here’s the reply:

Thanks for your enquiry - that one is easily answered :)

The Campdraft you have is indeed SAND (was Silverbelly - but is the same colour - so Akubra have just simplified their coding).

However, the Leisuretime is actually a colour called LIGHT Sand - and it is much lighter in colour.

Hope that solves the mystery of the sands :)

So, I won’t be purchasing a Sand Campdraft. If they come out with a Light Sand Campdraft, I’ll be up for it, though.

Unfortunately, that is exactly what is happening. Here’s the reply:

Thanks for your enquiry - that one is easily answered :)

The Campdraft you have is indeed SAND (was Silverbelly - but is the same colour - so Akubra have just simplified their coding).

However, the Leisuretime is actually a colour called LIGHT Sand - and it is much lighter in colour.

Hope that solves the mystery of the sands :)

So, I won’t be purchasing a Sand Campdraft. If they come out with a Light Sand Campdraft, I’ll be up for it, though.

Not sure what color light sand actually is:

E5506F51-75C6-44F8-AF79-3CB517CF34AB.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points