Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

rrog

A-List Customer
Swagman said:
Now that you have both, how would you compare the two?

Okay, these are my impressions and opinions only. The Fed IV is a taller-crowned hat. I'm having to be more careful about not bumping it in the truck. It is a little looser, so therefore sits a little lower than the Stylemaster. But the hat will supposedly conform with time. I don't really consider that a problem. I like the dark brown color better than I thought I would. But the mid grey Stylemaster (EA's color) is more to my liking. I'd love to get a Fed IV in carbon grey from hatsdirect. And I really like the brim on the Fed IV better too. I don't know if it's the 2 3/4" front/back and the 2 1/2" sides or what, but it just seems to sit better on my head. The brim on the Fed IV is definitely stiffer than the one on the Stylemaster. I think the Fed IV looks better on me too. By way of comparison, the Stylemaster is the one in my avatar.

And this next statement is a big step for me. I got a Stetson Fargo last year for my birthday and simply loved it. My dad had worn Stetsons and I had never really heard of the Akubra brand so when I decided to get a fedora, I went with Stetson. Not to disparage Stetson, but the two Akubras I have just feel like and fit like they are better hats than the Stetson does. And I've got three other Stetsons that I've purchased off of eBay, all before I got my first Akubra. So my new favorite hat brand is Akubra. And so far, my new favorite hat is the Fed IV. But I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Stetson, since the Stetson was my first. :cool:

I hope this helps.

rrog

rrog

A-List Customer
Colby Jack said:
Here I am with the Snowy River on...by the lonely pines...

I fell in love with that hat back when The Man from Snowy River came out. But I've only just recently started wearing hats and have always been afraid of the larger brim on the Snowy River. But it's a great looking hat. And you pull it off well.

rrogs

Swagman

New in Town
rrog said:
Okay, these are my impressions and opinions only.

Thanks rrog

That's helpful. I have a Mid Grey Stylemaster on the way and have been reading all the rave reviews of the Fed IV. Just worried that the hat will look better on the stand than on my head. Worried it will be too tall for me, but it looks great on you.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
rrog said:
I fell in love with that hat back when The Man from Snowy River came out. But I've only just recently started wearing hats and have always been afraid of the larger brim on the Snowy River. But it's a great looking hat. And you pull it off well.

rrogs
Thanks rrogs!:D

Thwack

Familiar Face
Finally showed up!

n501990646_5333157_1855.jpg

n501990646_5333158_2614.jpg

My first Bashing experience. It went better than I thought, once the kid gloves came off at least. What do you think?

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
KeyGrip said:
I just got that magical email; my Campdraft will be here sometime early January. Man am I excited.

I got my Campdraft on Christmas Eye. I almost flipped out when I answered the door and the mailman was standing there with a box marked "Happy Holidays From Australia". Now I know what all the fuss is over the Campdraft, and I'll be ordering another one in Fawn in the morning. You really do have something to get excited about. ;)

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
PeeWee said:
I got my Campdraft on Christmas Eye. I almost flipped out when I answered the door and the mailman was standing there with a box marked "Happy Holidays From Australia".

Hah! Looks like Hatsdirect have their logistics department wishing the whole world season's greetings! When my Campdraft arrived, I had a similar message hand-written on the box, and it did me ...pleasure. The human touch!

Thwack, your first bash is as good as any I've seen. Great!

Thwack

Familiar Face
Windy...

Thanks for all the kind words everyone

I woke up to a nasty wind this morning. I was worried that my hat was going to fly away when I walked the pups but it never even budged!

I completely agree PeeWee, I loved seeing that Happy X-Mas from Australia on the box. The campdraft was my second choice, figured I would be happy with either so I want for the Fed first.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My tawny fawn Campdraft arrived today for Everything Australian. My order confirmation was dated 10/25/08 and the hat arrived today, 1/2/09, not much less than the posted wait time of three months, but less none the less. I'll put up more pictures after I crease it. I've been under the weather this week, so it'll wait a while.

I put it next to my silverbelly Campdraft to show the color difference. I really like the tawny fawn now that I have it in my hand to see it live. I'm going to like the gray one too if Hatsdirect and Akubra make that happen.

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

rrog

A-List Customer
Get to feeling better BobC and I think it would look nice to see those two hats bashed the same AND side by side.

rrog

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rrog said:
Get to feeling better BobC and I think it would look nice to see those two hats bashed the same AND side by side.

rrog

I was thinking of that. rrog, or maybe a diamond. I played with it a little this afternoon and put a quick dry teardrop in it. I can't get over how much I like this color. I originally ordered mid brown but the change it to tawny fawn. I'm glad I did.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes.

RBH

Bartender
BobC said:
My tawny fawn Campdraft arrived today for Everything Australian. My order confirmation was dated 10/25/08 and the hat arrived today, 1/2/09, not much less than the posted wait time of three months, but less none the less. I'll put up more pictures after I crease it. I've been under the weather this week, so it'll wait a while.

I put it next to my silverbelly Campdraft to show the color difference. I really like the tawny fawn now that I have it in my hand to see it live. I'm going to like the gray one too if Hatsdirect and Akubra make that happen.

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg
Your gonna love the tawnt, I have been wearing mine all day today.
Cant wait to see what crease you put in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy