Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Value is Soaring Right Now

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:
A great hat ..PERIOD!!!! :D

I couldn't agree more, Rusty. I wore my silverbelly Campdraft this afternoon. That's what started me thinking I need another one.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Now according to all the vendors out there...Bluegrass green is no longer an option....and you'll probably get an email telling you that very soon. A bunch of us have sent our name in to Everything Australian to be submitted to Akubra, asking for more Camp Darfts in that color...but so far no word yet. I also put a request in for a heritage felt Camp Draft...:D

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
lol lol

sorry, yes I meant Campdraft. I knew I needed a drink after work sheesh....

bummer on the color, maybe we will get lucky and they will keep the color.......

Back to my scotch......:eusa_doh:

Ghost

carter

I'll Lock Up
Camp Darfts

Colby Jack said:
Now according to all the vendors out there...Bluegrass green is no longer an option....and you'll probably get an email telling you that very soon. A bunch of us have sent our name in to Everything Australian to be submitted to Akubra, asking for more Camp Darfts in that color...but so far no word yet. I also put a request in for a heritage felt Camp Draft...:D

What other colors do Camp Darfts come in? Don't believe I've ever seen one. ;) :)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've got a Cattleman. It's my hot-weather hiking hat - light color (Sand), no lining, six ventilation grommets. It's got a nice bound edge, and comes precreased in a moderate teardrop shape. It has considerably stiffer (and a hair thicker) felt than my Federation. Like all Akubras, it's very tough and well made: after two summers of use, it still looks new, apart from the gold lettering on the sweatband having been sweated away...

It's an outstanding shade hat, but for me, its 3-1/4 inch brim is just a bit too wide for wearing anywhere but in the woods. It looks pretty cowboy hat-like, which is quite uncommon and eccentric in this part of the world. (I am far more comfortable wearing my Stockman, with its more moderate 2-3/4 inch brim.)

That personal issue aside, I can see why it's a popular hat - it's a very practical, classic model. Another outstanding bargain with the current pricing, if it fits your needs... (Geez, as of today: only $67 including shipping from Everything Australian!)

CATLMN1.JPG

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
I've got a Cattleman. It's my hot-weather hiking hat - light color (Sand), no lining, six ventilation grommets. It's got a nice bound edge, and comes precreased in a moderate teardrop shape. It has considerably stiffer (and a hair thicker) felt than my Federation. Like all Akubras, it's very tough and well made: after two summers of use, it still looks new, apart from the gold lettering on the sweatband having been sweated away...

It's an outstanding shade hat, but for me, its 3-1/4 inch brim is just a bit too wide for wearing anywhere but in the woods. It looks pretty cowboy hat-like, which is quite uncommon and eccentric in this part of the world. (I am far more comfortable wearing my Stockman, with its more moderate 2-3/4 inch brim.)

That personal issue aside, I can see why it's a popular hat - it's a very practical, classic model. Another outstanding bargain with the current pricing, if it fits your needs... (Geez, as of today: only $67 including shipping from Everything Australian!)

CATLMN1.JPG

That is a great looker and one Akubra style I want but do not have. Thanks for posting about it as it has nudged me again toward a Cattleman. Cheers

jec

One of the Regulars
Another Cattleman

Here's a Cattleman in a dark brown color. I second everything that Dr. Strange said about this hat -- especially his comment about the brim being a bit too wide for everyday wear. It does, indeed, have a bit of a cowboy look - although that might not be the case on a guy with a bigger frame than I have.

JimCattleman.jpg

CattlemanSide.jpg

The second photo shows the color more accurately - but since I got this hat on EBay, I don't know what Akubra calls this medium brown.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I suspect it's "Fawn" - but on my monitor, the first picture looks more accurate, while the second looks kinda purple-ish. (But it's a really great angle for showing the hat's shape.)

Hey, I'm a Hudson Valley guy too, Jecoe - Peekskill area. Whereabouts are you?

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jecoe and Dr. S, I think you both wear that hat well. The brim's a little to wide for my taste, but you both look good in it. I like both colors too.

jec

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
I suspect it's "Fawn" - but on my monitor, the first picture looks more accurate, while the second looks kinda purple-ish. (But it's a really great angle for showing the hat's shape.)

Hey, I'm a Hudson Valley guy too, Jecoe - Peekskill area. Whereabouts are you?

Dr. S -

I just double-checked the hat itself and the color is in between the two photos: not as dark as the first, and not as purple as the second. It's probably Akubra's "chocolate."

As for being another Hudson Valley guy - I'm a bit north of you and on the other side of the River in Greene County - near Catskill. (south of Albany).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW