Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Value is Soaring Right Now

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange said:
I've got a Cattleman. It's my hot-weather hiking hat - light color (Sand), no lining, six ventilation grommets. It's got a nice bound edge, and comes precreased in a moderate teardrop shape. (Geez, as of today: only $67 including shipping from Everything Australian!)
Now look what you have done.... gotta get one now...:eusa_doh:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
jecoe@earthlink said:
Dr. S -
As for being another Hudson Valley guy - I'm a bit north of you and on the other side of the River in Greene County - near Catskill. (south of Albany).

Ah, over in the Catskills, that's a lovely area. Actually, the whole Hudson Valley is pretty wonderful... I've been up and down it my whole life, and I never tire of it. (I grew up in Yonkers almost within sight of the Palisades, and now I live right on the River south of Peekskill... I've hiked all the Hudson Highlands peaks on both sides... my sister went to school at SUNY-Albany, and my son's now at RPI over in Troy...)

jec

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
Ah, over in the Catskills, that's a lovely area. Actually, the whole Hudson Valley is pretty wonderful... I've been up and down it my whole life, and I never tire of it. (I grew up in Yonkers almost within sight of the Palisades, and now I live right on the River south of Peekskill... I've hiked all the Hudson Highlands peaks on both sides... my sister went to school at SUNY-Albany, and my son's now at RPI over in Troy...)

Dr. S - Sounds like you know the area well and must drive the length of the mid-Hudson Valley frequently. I myself started down in Westchester County, too (on the LI Sound side).

Yes, this river valley is one of the most beautiful places I know. As full-time landscape painter - I'm very fortunate to live and work here, right where American landscape painting originated, nearly 200 years ago.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
RBH said:
Kao, that is the best hat I have seen on you!!!!
Looks fantastic!
Great job on the crease also.Is it safe to say we will be seeing you in this hat very often? :D
Sometime could you give us a side view of your crease?

You also need to put this in The Brotherhood of The Thin Ribbon thread.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13056

A little delayed, but here's the side view:

DSCN0632.jpg

DSCN0634.jpg

And a back view:

DSCN0633.jpg

I wore it in yesterdays 92 degree heat wave since the humidity is only 10% and it was great!

YARVTON

New in Town
Order Today!

Has the exchange rate been any better in recent past? Fed IV about US$67.00! Wonder if Campdraft in Silverbelly can be ordered from HatsDirect?

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Akubra sizing query

Let me begin by thanking all the veterans here for the information I've picked up lurking here.

I've decided on an Akubra Stylemaster, and my hat sizing experience is, as a newcomer, fairly limited. In the Marine Corps, I wore Large caps and 7-3/8 or 7-1/2 fitted headgear. I seem to recall starting out at 7-1/4-7/38, but my head seems to have swelled over the past thirty years!

The only other non ball cap civilian hat I've had recently is a Dorfman Pacific bucket, size XL. My head tends toward an oval shape, and though I've never been properly sized I'd guess I'd be a long oval.

I've just measured my head, and it comes out as a 61, or 24-1/4".

Do the Akubra hats tend to be true to size, run small or large, or are they very much individualists?

I'd like to think that I can get away with a 61, since there is a three month wait for anything over that:( .

RBH

Bartender
TopGumby said:
Let me begin by thanking all the veterans here for the information I've picked up lurking here.

I've decided on an Akubra Stylemaster, and my hat sizing experience is, as a newcomer, fairly limited. In the Marine Corps, I wore Large caps and 7-3/8 or 7-1/2 fitted headgear. I seem to recall starting out at 7-1/4-7/38, but my head seems to have swelled over the past thirty years!

The only other non ball cap civilian hat I've had recently is a Dorfman Pacific bucket, size XL. My head tends toward an oval shape, and though I've never been properly sized I'd guess I'd be a long oval.

Do the Akubra hats tend to be true to size, run small or large, or are they very much individualists?

I'd like to think that I can get away with a 61, since there is a three month wait for anything over that:( .
Welcome to the Lounge Gumby!
My Campdraft was true sized when I got it [a size 60] Some say Akubras fit a little large.
My Federation was a little big but the sizing tape made it fit fine.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
YARVTON said:
Has the exchange rate been any better in recent past? Fed IV about US$67.00! Wonder if Campdraft in Silverbelly can be ordered from HatsDirect?
I received my silverbelly campdraft from them. You have to email them and ask.

univibe88

One Too Many
TopGumby said:
I think I'll try the 61 and if it runs small, I'll try that Harbor Frieght jack and some steam!

They run big. I wear a 59 - 7 3/8. I ordered both a 59 a 58. To my surprise I'm keeping the 58.

DSC_0034.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
TopGumby said:

I am exactly 24 inches and wear a 61. I would just email hatsdirect and tell them your measurement and let them decide.:D

cookie

I'll Lock Up
TopGumby said:

You could feel safe with a 61 based on your previous caveats - Akubras are big. I wear between a 60-61 and a Cattleman I have that is 61 is a bit loose. But then like all Akubras after wear they will self conform.

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the sizing advice, gents.

I ordered the size 61 in Acorn Fawn (My wife says Acorn should suit me, since I'm such a nut) and it was under $67, shipped from Everything Australian. I had to figure out there are two Everything Australians, the one everybody talks about here is in the .au domain.

Now the long, dry, stultifying wait begins. To prep myself for the arrival I've decided to:

1. Study the Fedora Lounge hat section every day.
  2. Finish reading "Hatless Jack"
  3. Watch some vintage flicks. The kids like Hope and Crosby in the road movies.
  4. Prepare for the family for the arrival. I have to convince them that just because the new purchase gets all the attention dad doesn't love them less.
  5. Watch "Watership Down" to convince myself that those nasty rabbits deserved to be turned in to fine Akubra hats.

Has it been ten days yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points