Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alec Baldwin: Good-bye, Public Life

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
His going off on his daughter, which is the source of much of the disgust with Baldwin, and this discussion, certainly wasn't made public by him.

Do you not find this piece disgusting? Because you seem to suggest that no one could have a bad opinion of Baldwin because of this piece of homophobia-laced disgusting trash (written by the man's own hand).

I'm not sure if it is because you believe that no one could be upset over homophobic slurs or outright homophobia, or what. But your insistence that people dislike Baldwin mainly because of his phone call to his daughter is doing a lot of people a disservice, including myself and several other people on this board who have expressed similar opinions.

Do you not find this piece disgusting? Because you seem to suggest that no one could have a bad opinion of Baldwin because of this piece of homophobia-laced disgusting trash (written by the man's own hand).

I've suggested nothing of the sort.

I'm not sure if it is because you believe that no one could be upset over homophobic slurs or outright homophobia, or what. But your insistence that people dislike Baldwin mainly because of his phone call to his daughter is doing a lot of people a disservice, including myself and several other people on this board who have expressed similar opinions.

I've commented on his rant to his daughter because others brought it up. What you chose to infer from that is up to you, but that doesn't mean you're correct. And I find it extremely naïve to say that his daughter rant has not colored peoples' opinion of him.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
And I find it extremely naïve to say that his daughter rant has not colored peoples' opinion of him.

I never said anything of the sort. Can you please point out where I said it had no influence?

ETA: I think we're having some confusion here. What I am saying is irregardless of his phone message to his daughter, he just gave people a lot more to hate about him in writing. Even if that phone call had *never* happened or *never been released* plenty of people would see him in a poor light now. I think the phone call, if it was important or not, is way eclipsed by this latest thing.

Also, yelling at your daughter has nothing to do with being a homophobic idiot.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
If I had a nickel for every time I had induced my parents to castigate me (very reasonably) in similar terms and worse than those used by Baldwin, I'd be pretty rich.
Same here! And there were teachers and coaches who said things to me that would probably cause them to lose their jobs today. And these were, on the whole, good people who simply lost their patience. Quite honestly, it was good preparation for later life. Once you've had a Jesuit priest lace into you every other tirade directed at you will be like a pretty girl whispering sweet nothings in your ear. :)

Feraud

Bartender
I never said anything of the sort. Can you please point out where I said it had no influence?

ETA: I think we're having some confusion here. What I am saying is irregardless of his phone message to his daughter, he just gave people a lot more to hate about him in writing. Even if that phone call had *never* happened or *never been released* plenty of people would see him in a poor light now. I think the phone call, if it was important or not, is way eclipsed by this latest thing.

Also, yelling at your daughter has nothing to do with being a homophobic idiot.
There is no confusion, someone is simply dodging the question..

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I have some sympathy with Baldwin in that he appears to be someone who doesn't understand when it's in his best interests to shut his mouth.

I consider myself quite moderate, but once I'm riled I just keep going - and damn the rest of the world. I have, at times (in a work situation), thought about what I am about to do next, realise it might seriously damage my position, then think 'Sod it' and go ahead anyone.

It upsets people that it's not wise to upset - and provides fuel to your enemies. But when you are pushed to the limit, sometimes you just go ahead and do it anyway.

Sometimes you just have to do what you feel is right at the time and take the consequences. You night find yourself in trouble but, as someone once told me: "It's better to live hand to mouth, than mouth to arse."

(Before I'm accused of supporting Baldwin's homophobia etc, I would say that it isn't relevant to my point: I simply relate to someone who has trouble containing themselves when pushed to the limit - after all, is there anyone here who wouldn't feel fury if their sensitive and private conversations were made public? And isn't publishing private conversations a breach of copyright?)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
And isn't publishing private conversations a breach of copyright?)

Copyright only protects performance and written works. Even then, you can publish (or republish) limited sections of copyrighted works in certain circumstances (for critical purposes, for example).

Statements made to the press are publishable for obvious reasons. You can say "off the record" or ask that the source stay private, but that is on the journalist's discretion and morals. In a similar vein, you cannot say an entire communication/ interview is off the record. If people publish something that you didn't say that would fall under defamation and your recourse would be in the court of law.

This is why you should never say anything to the press you don't want published. Because they will publish it.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Copyright only protects performance and written works. Even then, you can publish (or republish) limited sections of copyrighted works in certain circumstances (for critical purposes, for example).

Statements made to the press are publishable for obvious reasons. You can say "off the record" or ask that the source stay private, but that is on the journalist's discretion and morals. In a similar vein, you cannot say an entire communication/ interview is off the record. If people publish something that you didn't say that would fall under defamation and your recourse would be in the court of law.

This is why you should never say anything to the press you don't want published. Because they will publish it.

And that's especially true in the Internet Age -- anything that's published will be propagated far beyond the range of the ordinary newspaper article within hours of publication, and will take on a life of its own. Not only should one never say anything to the press they wouldn't want published, one should never say anything they wouldn't want to have smeared over every web browser on the planet. Anonymity won't protect you, either -- all the cute user names in the world won't stop someone who's determined to find out who you really are, and it's usually a lot easier to do that than anyone realizes.

The best rule is to never say anything in private that you wouldn't be willing to stand behind in person, in public, before an audience of millions. Such is life in the 21st Century.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
LizzieMaine said:
The best rule is to never say anything in private that you wouldn't be willing to stand behind in person, in public, before an audience of millions. Such is life in the 21st Century.

Don't think.
If you think - don't speak.
If you think and speak - don't write it down.
If you think, speak and write it down - don't be surprised.

Enrico

New in Town

In Civil Air Patrol we are directed to be deliberately vague when dealing with the press during a rescue or at a crash site. But it is highly stressed that we never say "off the record" or "no comment" - both inspire curiosity and suspicion in equal measure. Not like we're doing anything secret, but misinformation is something our command wants to eliminate, and misinformation is rampant among the lower ranks of any organization. Maybe others should follow our example and put the rumor mills out of business for good. Too often meaningless nonsense and scandal erupt because some intern let their tongue slip in casual conversation - or worse, put something on Facebook.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Not to spoil anyone's fun, but I look to this site to get away from people like Baldwin.

Besides, he's an actor. He's supposed to be stupid and egotistical.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Not to spoil anyone's fun, but I look to this site to get away from people like Baldwin.
So you posted on a thread concerning a subject that doesn't appeal to you for the sole purpose of denouncing its existence on the FLounge?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran