Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

alfyman

One of the Regulars
You've definitely got my attention, Very Very Nice. "but don't clean it yet" I've had a jacket cleaned and it looked as though it was dyed more than clean..Love This Jacket..

kowalski

Practically Family
ADMIN***PLEASE keep Sales in the CLASSIFIEDS - That's what it's there for. Thankyou.

ok, sory.
best regards

Last edited:

Gee

Familiar Face
gee2525

First go at attaching photos. If this works, does anyone fancy another game of guess the year of the jacket?

Gee

Familiar Face
Obviously didn't work. I have followed the advice in the F.A.Q. section, but am obviously missing something. Can't find the "Post Reply " button, everything seems to lead to the quick reply box. I have even joined Photobucket, and typed in the http address in the quick reply attachments box. How stupid do I feel? Everyone else seems to have got the hang of it. Numpty proof advice urgently needed.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Hi Gee,

In Photobucket, click on the "Direct Link" and it should the say "copied". In the Lounge, select either the "Go Advanced" or just the "Post Quick Reply. In either of those select the "Insert Image" icon, then paste the link from Photobucket in the box. Be sure the "http://" only appears once in the box.

Good luck!

John

dr greg

One Too Many
Here's a project for some net nerd...how many authentic RAF flight jackets turn up on ebay or similar sites every year, multiply by the number of years the internet has been in existence, compare with actual numbers of issued in WW2, calculate % still surviving, calculate average life and survival of said garments.....

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
It would require a crack research team, because each jacket would have to be positively IDd as unique. Nearly impossible to filter out the re-sales.

Gee

Familiar Face
It would require someone considerably more intelligent than myself. Thank you for the advice John, I'm sure it was foolproof for your average fool, but I'm still struggling. My only experience of pasting is hanging wallpaper. May have to seek help from my wife or 7 year old son!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a project for some net nerd...how many authentic RAF flight jackets turn up on ebay or similar sites every year, multiply by the number of years the internet has been in existence, compare with actual numbers of issued in WW2, calculate % still surviving, calculate average life and survival of said garments.....

Very funny! Whose up for this little task here?

Gee

Familiar Face
I should probably apologise for the quality of the photos, and more importantly advise that the detail imediately above the main zip in the photo of the whole jacket lying on its back is actually a book I placed there to obscure the shape and size of the original label - didn't want to make it too easy!

aswatland

The two panel construction is of course typical of pre-war and early war jackets. However they were still made in 1944-5, but with horizontal seams on the sleeves, which this one has. The style of Lightning zips and the AM sleeve zip (which may be stamped "N" or "FF LTD") did not appear on Irvins until 1943. My guess is that this jacket dates to 1944 or 45 and is most likely the work of Irvin Air Chute. It is unlikely to be earlier than 1943 unless the zips have been replaced, but there is no evidence of this from the pics.

Last edited:

Gee

Familiar Face

:eusa_clap Top marks Dr Swatland. The only way I knew the age of this jacket is the date on the label! I have to say that if it really is an I.A.C. jacket, and I'm guessing the contract number will confirm this, then it may be a monday morning/friday afternoon version - the fault with the underarm grommet has been very neatly tidied up, fair play, it may have been caused by a minor flaw or tear in the material, but whoever cut the leather for the buckle side of the belt seems to have hugely overestimated the space available, crammed it through the buckle and sewn it up! In all other respects it does seem to be a very well made jacket which has had a very easy time of it. No story with the jacket though, apparently it was rescued just before being thrown in a skip in Solihull in 1972!

aswatland

The 40288 contract was awarded by the AM in 1943 and Coastal Command and conventional Irvins were produced as part of the contract until the end of the war. It is one of the few later war contracts with the date on the label.

Gee

Familiar Face
Thank you again for your help. I am just wondering - does the contract number confirm that the jacket was made by I.A.C.? I don't think I have ever seen a photo of a jacket with such an oversized belt on the buckle side, or such thin belt loops before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred