Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

Steven C P

New in Town
Agree about the leather, zips and pattern. But I have been told personally by the owner of Fenland that they do have a veg. tanning plant solely for use by The Few and Real McCoys.

I know exactly what they did John although being a lawyer I am not going to write it on here - give me a ring if you like...07974 355313 !

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
I love original Irvins. And found this thread when searching :) But is "this" thread talking about repros or originals? (sorry for my confusion - I'm assuming it's repros as you're talking about The Few..etc)
*confused!*

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This thread is actually for originals as there is another thread for repro Irvins. I think the divide between them has got a little blurred of late. Until today the last post on the other thread was made six weeks ago and the thread had got a little lost!

Last edited:

Gorik

New in Town
Irvin identification

Hello,
I just picked up my first real?? Irvin.
Is there anyone who can identificate this jacket, is it a real WW2 Irvin jacket or just a copy?
There is no label inside the jacket, and there is one big problem, the main zipper is broken.
Does anyone know where I can find one?
Uploading pics doesn't work, so here a link.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42643485@N02/5476989646/in/photostream/
Regards,
Gorik

Last edited:

aswatland

Gorik, your Irvin was made in the period 1941-3 by Wareing and Co of Northampton. Wareings had their first contract with the AM in 1935 and produced Irvins from then until the end of the war. Typical features of a Wareings jacket include wide belt loops, large collar rings, underarm eyelets arranged in two inverted "L" patterns and square collar ends. Your jacket is in well preserved condition. Well done. The best source for a replacement Dot zip will be from a pair of flying trousers.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I had the opportunity to get the camera out today and after shooting the Perry A-2s, I photographed my Irvin, which is worn to walk the dog/build snowmen when the weather gets really cold.

This is a jacket that was originally made by Links. It is essentially in original condition, although it lacks a label (it measures 42-44") and the main zip and one of the zippers in the arms have been replaced with ELC reproductions (the sole remaining zipper is a period Lightning). The ultra valuable (!) black elastic strap to the rear of the collar is actually a modern repro.

Given the 2-panel configuration I believe the jacket dates from 1940 and it bears the characteristic rounded collar (that I particularly like), and honey-coloured dense fleece, and medium sized belt loops. The zip tapes have a reddish hue (as does the rear facing of the collar).

It's generally in good, wearable condition - there is some wear to the fleece at the cuffs and waist, but the rest is in strong, sturdy condition. At some time in its life it's come into contact with some white paint on the left sleeve - I've opted not to remove it at this stage as it doesn't bother me greatly.

There are two older repairs: two small, circular leather patches to both sleeve biceps, consistent with abrasion in a narrow cockpit (and presumably a fighter). As Andrew has mentioned recently the summer of 1940 was too warm for Irvins, but his suggestion that the Hurricane pilots wore them more frequently in France during 1939-40 could be more explicable.

What isn't clear from these photos (partially visible on one) is the name 'GEORDIE' painted in faded red pigment to the rear of the collar. I took the jacket into the lab and examined it under both short and long wavelength UV lamps to reveal it clearly.

Dimensions:
Front length = 55 cm (to base of collar stand)
Back length = 64 cm (including collar stand)
Shoulder width = 53 cm
Arm length = 59 cm (measured with curve)
Collar width = 16 cm (excluding collar stand)

I almost considered selling this last year as it wasn't getting frequent use, but I am so glad that I didn't. It is extremely comfortable to wear, very warm and above all has a terrific smell - the fleece is clean, tight and has served a great blanket when camping.

IMG_8064.jpg

IMG_8065.jpg

IMG_8074.jpg

IMG_8075.jpg

IMG_8072.jpg

3934012.jpg

3934008.jpg

3934009.jpg

3934010.jpg

IMG_8077.jpg

aswatland

Ian your Links jacket was most likely from their second contract with the AM, from 1939, which was B24384 / 39 / C.I.B. Links was a high volume maker of Irvins throughout the war. This firm was awarded their first contract earlier in 1939. IAC and Wareings could not meet the demand to supply sufficent Irvins to the RAF at this time. There is very little known about Links. Unlike IAC, Wareings, DGL, Robinson and Ensum no one appears to know where they were located.

free818

New in Town
Irvin-b.jpg
Irvin-e.jpg

Irvin-c.jpg

Irvin-d.jpg

DSCN0363.jpg

DSCN0361.jpg

DSCN0362.jpg

DSCN0364.jpg

My late war RAF gear has taken a big leap forward!

After saving up for a long time, I've finally purchased an original Irvin. I liked the way that the collar fleece is so close in color to the long fleece of the jacket.

Should I clean the verdigris? What method is recommended?

Thanks, John

£775 size 44 :cool:

aswatland

Ian, the jackets from the earlier contract tended to be made from russet-coloured sheepskin, as opposed to the darker shades of the later ones. They also had the un-marked Dot nickel-plated zips.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Ian, the jackets from the earlier contract tended to be made from russet-coloured sheepskin, as opposed to the darker shades of the later ones. They also had the un-marked Dot nickel-plated zips.
Good call then Andrew, sounds spot on. Time for that book!

Gee

Familiar Face
While we all wait for the book, does anyone know what happened to the original "Irvin Nuts........." thread? There were some really interesting posts in that which I would like to read again, but I can't find it any more. Also could I ask Andrew for clarification on one piece of advice you kindly gave a Lounger earlier in this thread - to store Irvins flat in a moth proof bag. Would a modern plastic suit protecting bag be suitable? Or would it need to be cloth? How about a suitcase? I really do want to do the best by my jackets and would like to feel assured that I am taking the best care possible.
Many thanks,
Peter

Gee

Familiar Face
Thanks for the advice, I have just clicked on the link at the top of the first page, but just get a thread dedicated to hats. Could anyone tell me if I am alone in having this problem? It may be a gremlin in my computer, or it may be the link needs looking at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner