Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

rikbb

Familiar Face
aswatland said:
On the FL people either advertise under Classified or alert people to Ebay auctions via a pm.

Very sorry, didn't mean to break the rules, I'm not selling anything myself, just remembered someone was looking for a large irvin a while ago on this thead. I'll tka the message away. Sorry again,

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I scored an actual vintage 1962 Irvin today while thrifting. :)

I'm thinking this one might be up for sale to one of you here if there's interest. It's labeled 44. I usually take a 38L in a suit coat or blazer. I'm 6'1" and slim. This jacket fits like all of a 42 or maybe truly a 44. It's a very cool piece in surprisingly good shape. Zip works great, all buttons and parts are there. Lots more photos at the link at bottom.

Gee, now I understand what all the fuss is about with you guys. The way they made this thing is tremendous. What great lines.

DSC_0022.jpg

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/harpplayergene/62 Irvin G1/?start=20

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Darnit - you're right! :eek: Kilroy pointed out my confusion in another thread here where I made the same mistake. I'm gonna' edit out most of the pix to neaten up the page and just leave the gist of it so future visitors understand what you and I are now talking about.

Thanks for the tip! :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
No problem Gene. RAF Irvins are just a different flying jacket from your "Irvin".

Enjoy your new acquisition.

Amnesia

New in Town
As this tread appears to have gone into hibernation I thought I'd let you know that the sun came out last Saturday so I donned the newly renovated 1939 Irvin, took the lid off the newly renovated 1965 Morris 1000 convertible and went for a cruise around with my wife. Now that was style!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds quite an experience 1939 meets 1965! Did you have the roof open?

You are right about this thread going into hibernation for the winter. So come on chaps lets see some pics of your latest original Irvin purchases?

deebee

New in Town
I don't know if this is the correct place to introduce oneself but here goes: I live in Vancouver now but was born and raised in England. My earliest memories are of playing around Dunsfold Airdrome--home of "Top Gear"-- since my father worked in the Experimental Hangar there from about 1950 to 1966. We lived in a "Nissen" hut with a communal toilet shared by all the workers until moving to Cranleigh in the mid fifties.
I vividly recall the winter of 1963 when, with snow on the ground for three months, I plodded around Milford delivering newspapers BUT, spared from frozen feet by the use of my fathers sheepskin boots. Dad had been an air gunner in WW2 and, although he would never let me borrow his Irvin jacket he did lend me his boots for that one winter-since I put my feet in the same footprints in the snow for three months they were a welcome gift.
I am now firmly decided on buying an Irvin jacket--after 30 odd years of promising myself--hence my joining this forum.
Well met all!

deebee

New in Town
I have found an Irvin that I am interested in--would anyone be prepared to look at the advt and tell me if it is any good?--I don't have pm ing privileges yet :eek:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
deebee said:
I have found an Irvin that I am interested in--would anyone be prepared to look at the advt and tell me if it is any good?--I don't have pm ing privileges yet :eek:

Welcome to the forum. I too clearly remember the terrible winter of 1962-3. I will happily look at the advert. To get PM access you need to make 15 posts. You could post the link to the advert here, but the downside is there might be competitors here and the price will shoot up!

deebee

New in Town
Hmm, it seems unlikely that I will make 15 posts in the next few days.... I just haven't got that much to say!
How about this-my email address is davidandandrea at telus dot net anybody knowledgeable about Irvins could contact me there and I would greatly appreciate the help.
David B

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
deebee said:
Andrew has just saved another person from making a fool of themselves :eusa_clap
Many thanks!

He's our resident Irvin guru deebee. What Andrew doesn't know about Irvins would fit on a pinhead I'd wager :D

That book on Irvins is still calling Andrew!

Amnesia

New in Town
The sun came out last monday, the top came off the Morris (called celia), and donning the Irvin I drove 70 miles to Stourbridge. Although it was sunny it was very cold and a suitable test for the Irvin. it passed admirably. mind you, three days later I'm still thawing out the wife!! Talk about doghouse. Was there a female equivilent, or should i just leave her (wife not Celia) at home.

1963 I walked to school everyday over the fields and you couldn't see where the hedges were. I wish I'd had an irvin then.

onOn
Amnesia

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Irvin's been getting a lot of use this season!

My open top (Lola) will be retaxed for 6 months from next month, but it will still be chilly enough for the Irvin Suit (well DGL suit, if one wants to be pedantic - and we do, when it comes down to this stuff that we love!).
dglirvin002-1.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Amnesia said:
I'm still thawing out the wife!! Talk about doghouse. Was there a female equivilent, or should i just leave her (wife not Celia) at home.

Amnesia, there was never a female equivalent although various modern makers of Irvin "inspired" jackets offer a female version. My better half is very fond of my ELC, although it resembles a baggy coat on her, but she very often uses it as a blanket on train journeys. Actually I have found women go quite gooey over Irvins, maybe it's the sheepskin, teddy bear thing.

We are planning on picking up a MGB in the next couple of months and I have already said to my wife that I will shout her an Irvin, be it a real deal job like an ELC or an Aero, or one of the feminine versions of an AL or Cirrus. She still hasn't decided which one she wants although she's rather fond of ELCs by the looks of it. The reason for my shouting the jacket is to ward off the very situations you speak of Amnesia. Last soft top we had I was in exactly the same boat as I always wanted to drive everywhere with the top down whether it was day, night, summer, winter. Sounds as if you might have to fork out for a similar jacket for your wife!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot