Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All the Fancy Buttons on Trousers

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Here's another mystery (for me): what is the purpose of the inside button on trousers? The one that is supposed to button to a small tab of material on the other side of the zipper?

I can understand that it's probably intended to hold things more snugly, but between the clip and button on the outside, having another tab and button on the inside is a bit overkill.

Does anyone ever use this button?

Cheers,
- SteveN

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I figure it takes some of the stress that's applied to the waistband when you move around a lot off the other button and the hook thingie. Might as well button it, it doesn't do any harm.

anon`

One Too Many
adamjaskie said:
I figure it takes some of the stress that's applied to the waistband when you move around a lot off the other button and the hook thingie. Might as well button it, it doesn't do any harm.
This has always been my assumption as well. Though, as my collection of vintage trousers has grown, I have noticed that none of my old trousers have that extender tab on the outside. My going theory is that the tab is a more modern detail that was probably intended to break up the otherwise-vertical line that exists at the zipper. I presume it didn't exist on older trousers due to the whole waistcoat/double breasted suit idea of the waistband not being visible. And in that context, the inside button seems to take some stress off of the "main" button, and in the case of a hook may help prevent it from coming unhooked when worn with a belt.

Two more cents for ya!

Feraud

Bartender
Examples.
DSC02882.jpg

DSC03349.jpg

DSC04198.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It's rather like the jigger button inside a double-breasted jacket in that it helps keep everything in place while relieving natural points of stress for the cloth. Always button the inner buttons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart