All Things Leather Thread

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by HawaiiShrimp, Sep 23, 2018.

1. HawaiiShrimp

HawaiiShrimp New in Town

Wondering if anyone else interested in sharing your leather goods? Here is my contribution. Hope to see yours. Thank you.

20180922_131144.jpg

mtrlr and Woodtroll like this.
  2. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Practically Family

elephant trunk and cowhide wallet [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. HawaiiShrimp

HawaiiShrimp New in Town

I made a video about my leather wallet collection and the reason I like them. Enjoy.

4. HawaiiShrimp

HawaiiShrimp New in Town

That's beautiful and unique. I never use elephant trunk leather. Very nice. How old is it?

Sheepdog149 likes this.
  5. Sheepdog149

Thanks, it's a couple of years old...

6. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

Two words for you, Sheepdog - "Dumbo's mother."

feltfan and Sheepdog149 like this.
  7. Sheepdog149

8. Sheepdog149

Here's new/now pics of my Tochigi steerhide wallet (Japan made). It's darkened with use, suntanning and hand rubbed coconut oil. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    mtrlr and Lost Ronin like this.
  9. So33

So33 Familiar Face

image.jpeg

I just came home from work. This is my everyday carry. I keep the keys snaped onto my briefcase so I won't leave in the morning without it. Filson Packer wallet, Filson/Shinola watch and band, Filson briefcase.

10. Sheepdog149

Vintage leather military bag [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtrlr likes this.
  11. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I'm old - what is that big wallet with the big chain look? Is it a skate board thing?

Sheepdog149 likes this.
  12. Sheepdog149

Hi there! I don't know if it's necessarily a "skateboard thing." I think truckers and bikers put it on the map - but I could be wrong. I guess it's sort of like wearing a pocket watch chain...personally, I dig the rugged, free-spirited look. But, you know what they say -- "Different strokes for different folks."

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Seb Lucas likes this.
  13. Clifton

Clifton New in Town

Chain wallets predate skateboards wider following. I wore one in the seventies and eighties because I didn't want to lose my wallet as I rode. Truckers and bikers wore them before that in the U.S. but getting stuff to England was expensive and difficult, so I waited until a custom bike shop opened in Bournemouth. I still have the wallet but wouldn't wear it because I am neither fashionable or a Hipster - just an older biker.

There were drawbacks to chain wallets; with 'proper' trousers for wear at work I'd slip the wallet down the back of my belt as the pockets were too small to carry it. But the most embarrassing incident was when I'd paid by cheque (ah, the good old days) and hand my wallet over, opened at my cheque guarantee card in the card folder, so the number could be copied to the back of the cheque (that number guaranteed the cheque would be honoured). Vendor walked off to his till towing me behind him in an undignified, sideways, quick step.

I now carry a gentleman's leather folding wallet. Hope he doesn't find out.

TV show's, Sons of Anarchy and Myans (I believe) have made long chains with wallets fashionable again, so I guess mine will stay in a drawer. Importantly, though, do what makes you happy and damn the torpedoes.

Seb Lucas likes this.
  14. I can't imagine anyone wearing a chain and metal attachments on a back pocket wallet thinking it would be just fine for them to sit on the leather seats in my car or furniture in my home. Truckers used to wear these over sized chain wallets to secure larger shipping papers and other documents. Now it's some sort of fashion statement. I remember it being very prominent with the Goth kids of years ago. I wouldn't want it clanging and raking against most everything. Of course I'm old too Seb. I've ridden a MC since 1964 and never lost a wallet or needed a chain.

Seb Lucas likes this.
  15. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Thanks all. I've seen the look around for years (mainly with groovy looking kids) and wondered about it.

16. Colin G

Colin G Practically Family

I'm 47 and the wallet chain thing has been back in with the hipsters since I was in my late 20's and it was nothing really new then either. Most of my friends at the time used a wallet chain and some still do. The average person may not see them a lot but in my circle of friends in the late 90's to mid 2000's, they were ubiquitous.

It is not my thing as I never carry a wallet but whatever blows your hair back. Wear a chain or don't. Hell, wear a toaster on your head as a hat for all I care.

Sheepdog149 likes this.
  17. Sheepdog149

Yup, old habits die hard. For me, it's just like carrying a pocketknife or a lucky coin (silver half dollar) everywhere I go...well, mostly everywhere. But, depending on the occasion, I may switch to a bifold or minimalist wallet.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  18. Sheepdog149

[​IMG]

Bushman likes this.