Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

altenate AAF flight jacket for re-enactor

Theo J.

New in Town
Sometime back, there was a posting inquiring about an acceptably authentic flight jacket which wasn't as heavy as an A-2 or an M-41. The best bet is a first-pattern HBT jacket (which you can get from At The Front Militaria). They're light, comfortable, and w/ suitable decorations would look like any number of the ones worn on-duty in warm to temperate climates; ATF's version is pretty reasonable (in cost) and quite well made into the bargain.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Or if you were a P-38 Pilot in the 13th AF you wore nothing (skin). I talked to a Pilot who said he couldn't wait to get to altitude where it was cooler. It was hard enough putting on a salted sweat crusted helmet let alone a shirt.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Looking over crew photo's of the 490th BS "Burma Bridge Busters" who were operating at low altitudes in the jungle. I noticed a trend to remove the sleeves from the flight suits. They appeared to be standard flight suits tailored to short sleeve. Not rolled up either.

Matt

Theo J.

New in Town
alternate AAF flight jacket for re-enactor

Thanks for your posts, everybody---I think the original bloke was looking for something light enough to wear while earthbound, yet eye-catching because everyone else doesn't have one (but AUTHENTIC, mind you). What Sherlock Holmes called an "admittedly meritricious effect"....

Eyemo

Practically Family
I have an original M41 field jacket that was worn by a 352nd FG Pilot. It's has a silk escape map made into a pocket...:)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Buzz Rickson used to do a repro first pattern (patch pocket) tanker jacket with a variety of USAAF patches. I have one for sale with a 315th Squadron patch.

Cigarband

A-List Customer
DutchIndo said:
Or if you were a P-38 Pilot in the 13th AF you wore nothing (skin). I talked to a Pilot who said he couldn't wait to get to altitude where it was cooler. It was hard enough putting on a salted sweat crusted helmet let alone a shirt.

The Pilots had a major temperature problem with the P-38.
They won't fly with the side window open, it destroys the planes aerodynamics. It was almost the only thing they didn't like about the Lightning.:eusa_doh:

kampkatz

Practically Family
Theo, if you just keep looking over all the WW2 photos of pilots you will find a variety of outerwear worn by US aircrew. Some were customized. Enjoy your research.

Theo J.

New in Town
Thanks for the thought---I got drawn into Warbird flying via a T-6 formation flight in 1971, and collected old flying jackets/helmets/flight suits for years (all of it museums now). My posting was intended to help another guy who clearly hadn't prowled all the archives yet. But I appreciate your response.

cco23i

A-List Customer
jeep44 said:
There is always the wool ETO jacket-a very common jacket worn by ground crews and others in the AAF.

And don't forget the British BD's used by U.S 8th, 12th AF service men as jackets also.

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot