Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Always Coca-Cola? Ain't Nothin' Like The Real Thing!

panamag8or

Practically Family
Matt,

To answer your question on the bottle design change...

The older bottles were meant to be vended from machines that were not too kind on the bottles, what with them dropping and slamming on each other, and the older design had thicker impact points built in, so they wouldn't break. The newer ones don't need those, since you only find them in 6-packs now. The new bottles are also much thinner all around. I visit a soda forum, and the chief complaint among those of us with old bottle vending machines is that the new bottles have more breakage issues.

I like the 8-oz. bottles myself. It is just the right amount to "pause and refresh", and I find myself only drinking one, maybe two, a day, instead of the 3 or 4 12 oz. plastic bottles or cans I used to. After all, that is how it should be... one a day, when you need it.

Last I checked, there was a Coke bottler along the MN-WI border that would take your old 10 oz. bottles and sell you the same amount of filled bottles. The only problem they have is that their bottle supply is dwindling, since even beat-up Coke bottles can fetch $5 on feebay. I have around 200 empty 16 oz Coke bottles gathering dust in my garage, and no way to fill them.:(

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yuck!

You're all going to end up with type 2 diabetes, and have your toes and legs amputated. Think I'm kidding? It's a national epidemic. Ella Fitzgerald had both legs amputated below the knee, due to diabetes. This wholesale consumption of sugary drinks is a horrible public health threat, as bad or worse than tobacco. Mark my words!

Jovan

Suspended
Always Coca-Cola: Ain't nothin' like the real thing. - merged thread

I had the pleasure of drinking REAL Coke tonight. The pizza place here in town sells Coke in glass bottles. I immediately noticed a taste difference but didn't know what it was until I looked at the label, written in Spanish. The fabled Mexican Coke. My $2 was well-spent.

It's gonna be hard to go back...

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Here, in the City of Angels, I can get those South of the Border Cokes, Pepsis, Sprites and, as of late, Orange Crush! I love seeing CANE SUGAR on the label!

katylouise

New in Town
Ah yes, Real Coke. <3

For anyone in Texas, try to track down the original Dr. Pepper recipe made with Imperial Sugar instead of silly chemical sweeteners. It's To Die For! We can only find it in the glass bottles here in Houston, but my brother is up at Schreiner University in Kerrville and he says that ALL the Dr. Pepper is made with Imperial up there. Swoon!

Jovan

Suspended
Damn straight. I'm thinking of buying Sugar Cane Cola, made by Boylen's (?). Probably tastes the same since their goal is, ultimately, to bring back what Coke once was. Much like some of us are trying to bring back what men's tailoring once was.

Jovan

Suspended
Little update: Adjusting to Coca-CornSyrup has been hard. I thought that the place's fountain was nearly out of syrup because it lacked a certain flavour. Then it happened again. And just now I drank a cold Coca-Cola from an American two litre. The taste just wasn't there all along?

Noooooo!

esb_luke73.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Well, I only drink diet, no corn syrup to worry about. I like the Diet Coke Lime a lot.

Of course, aspartame ain't no good for you. But it doesn't make you fat.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Vladimir Berkov said:
Now you need to try a Cuba Libre, made with Mexican cane-sugar Coke, fresh lime juice, and a good impossible-to-find-in-the-USA rum.

Not as impossible to get, if one wishes to do a bit of online ordering.
(Use the courier service rather than danger mail.)

http://www.spiritscorner.com/scriptsing/buscar.asp?K=Directorio&IdSeccion=154

Spirits Corner also carries quite a number of interesting drinks. As a few members here can attest. ;)

http://www.spiritscorner.com/ing/index.html

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
"Made with Real Sugar"

They re-brought it back, and now it tastes right!

It popped onto shelves last summer in blue cans that looked nothing Pepsi-like, then they disappeared. Tasted fine yet not quite right.

I like to think of it as Pepsi-Cola Classic.

It came back again with a more 80s look and an amazing flavor.
Pepsi-Throwback-80s.03.jpg
Pepsi-Throwback-80s.02.jpg

Heather

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
"Made with Real Sugar"

They re-brought it back, and now it tastes right!

It popped onto shelves last summer in blue cans that looked nothing Pepsi-like, then they disappeared. Tasted fine yet not quite right.

I like to think of it as Pepsi-Cola Classic.

It came back again with a more 80s look and an amazing flavor.
Pepsi-Throwback-80s.03.jpg
Pepsi-Throwback-80s.02.jpg

I love the taste of these and I'm disappointed that its a limited time deal. I'll be disappointed to have go back to the corn syrup. Such a tease....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112