Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I a Chap? (Temple)

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Looks as if it has been re-issued this year!

am-i-a-chap-.jpg

6a00d83451cbb069e20147e06c8823970b-pi

There is also the Chap Manifesto to be obtained

9781841156576.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
The Manifesto is, I believe, out of print, but it can still be found on eBay. Dear Gustav's newer work is a new publication as of this year, and includes many past entrants to the magazine column of the same name alongside its sage sartorial advice. The 'Chap of the Year' contest (now cancelled) was designed to function as a promotional event for the book.

molly

New in Town
If you were named Gustav, I think Chap status is almost guaranteed from birth!

I used to pick up the magazine when living in the UK and from what i remember it had some alright articles, some seemed a bit more for amusement or novelty (thats the impression I have in my poor memory)

Rathdown

Practically Family
I've been a chap my whole life (nanny had me in tweed diapers), and a reader since their first issue.

Edward

Bartender
If you were named Gustav, I think Chap status is almost guaranteed from birth!

I used to pick up the magazine when living in the UK and from what i remember it had some alright articles, some seemed a bit more for amusement or novelty (thats the impression I have in my poor memory)

The Chap's features are often written tongue in cheek, and aimed at a section of the vintage scene over here which has a sense of humour about itself. It does also attract some of the stick-on-moustache crowd who think it's all a tremendous jape, playing at being Upper Class Twit of the Year, but unfortunately you get that element with most things once they get to a certain size.

molly

New in Town
The Chap's features are often written tongue in cheek, and aimed at a section of the vintage scene over here which has a sense of humour about itself. It does also attract some of the stick-on-moustache crowd who think it's all a tremendous jape, playing at being Upper Class Twit of the Year, but unfortunately you get that element with most things once they get to a certain size.

Yeah agreed, I like the humour to a degree and the humour does seem to be quite ingrained into that scene (well judging by the Chap Olympiad and tweed rides and the like) not that thats a bad thing at all, some people like to dress up and act a "part". I guess like the tongue-in-cheek articles it sometimes gets a bit much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner