Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I Anal or What?

MAB1

Suspended
A little over a year ago, I found my Dad's old Open Road, in bad shape.

Since then I have revamped this hat so many times.

I keep trying to turn it into some perfect fedora.

It aint gonna happen. It's a late 70's Stetson.

As I type this... I'm pulling it off my head (damp) shaping the brim. I'll be doing that till I fall asleep tonight.

I wore it yesterday to Hat Club. Everybody complimented it.

But dummy me thinks it can look better. So, I gave it a coffee bath. Now, I gotta reshape it. AGAIN.

I've lost my frickin mind.

I'm sure I have friends that would say it happened long before my hat craze. :D

BTW, I started out with a couple hats. Now I have a couple dozen and work on other peopls hats.

It's taking over my life. I wish I knew what the hell I'm doing. heheheh ;)

Slim Portly

One Too Many
MAB1 said:
So, I gave it a coffee bath.
Please forgive my ignorance, but... a coffee bath? I can imagine the wonderful aroma that this must impart, but other than that obvious advantage, what is the purpose of such a practice?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Slim Portly said:
Please forgive my ignorance, but... a coffee bath? I can imagine the wonderful aroma that this must impart, but other than that obvious advantage, what is the purpose of such a practice?

I do believe it darkens the felt. Something I might consider with my father's old Broner - an eighties woolie. Can't hurt, right? And I can't knock sentiment.

-Dave

funneman

Practically Family
ScionPI2005 said:
Coffee bath...I should try that...might help me stay awake throughout the day.
938-002Coffee-Posters.jpg

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
MAB1 said:
A little over a year ago, I found my Dad's old Open Road, in bad shape.

Since then I have revamped this damn hat so many times.

I keep trying to turn it into some perfect fedora.

It aint gonna happen. It's a late 70's Stetson.

As I type this... I'm pulling it off my head (damp) shaping the brim. I'll be doing that till I fall asleep tonight.

I wore it yesterday to Hat Club. Everybody complimented it.

But dummy me thinks it can look better. So, I gave it a coffee bath. Now, I gotta reshape it. AGAIN.

I've lost my frickin mind.

I'm sure I have friends that would say it happened long before my hat craze. :D

BTW, I started out with a couple hats. Now I have a couple dozen and work on other peopls hats.

It's taking over my life. I wish I knew what the hell I'm doing. heheheh ;)
And the problem with all of the above IS...?

MAB1

Suspended
Problem? What Problem? :D

Coffee bath...

It's a good way to give something a darker Brown tint. It't more of a brown tinge than anything. You can ues old coffee grounds to do it.

I first tried it on my antique newsboy. It was hideously yellow. It's brown now.

By trying to darken my OR, I'm just trying to cover up it's imperfections.

It's drying right now.

If it comes out lookin good I'll post some pics.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
MAB1 said:
Problem? What Problem? :D

Coffee bath...

It's a good way to give something a darker Brown tint. It't more of a brown tinge than anything. You can ues old coffee grounds to do it.

I first tried it on my antique newsboy. It was hideously yellow. It's brown now.

By trying to darken my OR, I'm just trying to cover up it's imperfections.

It's drying right now.

If it comes out lookin good I'll post some pics.

So, inquiring minds would like to know more...especially those who have buckets of old grounds awaiting use on plants...yet another way to recycle the stuff:

(1) What temperature do you do the bath? Is cold water effective?
(2) How long a bath?
(3) Is the color uniform or does it darken parts of felt more than others?
(4) Does the coffee stain penetrate well, not just lie on the surface?
(5) Does it wash out or lighten with time?

I realize you might not have the definitive answer to some of these yet, but you've got me curious.

- Bill

J.B.

Practically Family
Jerekson said:
Wow, I think the OP made a big mistake by mentioning the word coffee.

:rolleyes:

Yup. I have a feeling this thread is destined to hit the FL "classics"?!

Reminds me of the line from Emo Philips: "When I wake up in the morning, I just can't get started until I've had that first, piping hot pot of coffee. Oh, I've tried other enemas..." :D

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wondered when this would come up. Yes, it's true, I used coffee on a campaign hat to shift it from grey to a tawny shade, but found that the coffee, when it dried it would cause "collection stains" at areas in the felt where the coffee in suspension in the water collected when it dried. Plus, rinsing removed siginificant levels of tinting, albeit a degree of tan remained. Rinsing was necessary because subsequent dampening of the coffee tinted hat caused some the tint to run unless it had been rinsed once or twice.
I used instant coffee, so I could make it "dye" strength without using up the regular coffee which would have not amused my spouse...she hates "instant" so I was safe using it, and it was a very cheap brand that only the desperate would drink, or me.
I also used the coffee to tint the grosgrain ribbon, but was dissapointed by the uneveness of the result.
Furniture "stain", not polish, worked terrifically for an even tinting on the ribbon, but did stiffen it a bit. I tried the stain on a hat for a test and found that it too caused horrific variations in shading, even going to black stains in some places, so I would not reccomend it for hat tinting.

dean

I tried to search but can't find it, however there was a thread in the Hats section that had several people discuss how they had dyed their hat a different color, using different means. I think RIT dye is discussed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL