Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

amazing Burtons suits

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I think the possibility of returns lessens the "second thoughts" bidders may have before placing a high bid.

And one cannot rule out those terrible people who "buy" something for a party or event and return them once not needed any more (happened to me once).

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
These suits have very long legs and sleeves (27 inch sleeve and 34 inch inside leg). Add to that good condition, flash dB waistcoat, great fabric and great vintage, and I can imagine a couple of long armed, long legged bidders getting very excited. Think how often Mario and rudie (both with 34 inch inside leg) complained about how difficult it is to find good vintage suits. Yes, a high price, but with good reasons.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Man, those waistcoats are amazing, though I agree, I think the fabric and cut of the first suit is better than the one that knocked the top off the price ceiling. And, as someone with a relatively long inseam, I concur - whenever I see something with trousers that might fit I am all the more tempted to open up the wallet. Still - wow. Watching US Ebay lately, I'd assumed the bidding wars might have ended. Guess not.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
i'm seriously floored by the £843 price. it's a nice suit, and DB waistcoats are rare, but wow.
I just don't get it. You can get that suit, bespoke made, to your measurements, for under £700. My guess is that the buyer is buying an 'investment.' Even so, more money than sense springs to mind.

i dunno. i think it's just a bidding frenzy. unfortunately prices like these influence the prices that vintage shops sell for.
Now that does explain things. I sold an old Mercedes Sprinter van on e-bay, it had been used for Isle of Wight deliveries. The constant salt water spray had given it a premature rust appearance. If it raised between £500 & £700 I would have been more than happy. At ten years old with high mileage, I really couldn't have expected much else. A three way bidding frenzy raised the successful bid to £2460. Lunacy, but I was quids in.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
You can get that suit, bespoke made, to your measurements, for under £700.

you'd need fabric as good as that suit first; the only fabric i know as good as that is vintage fabric. even Fox Brother's LL range - which is flannel, not a complex worsted like the suit in question - is £120 a metre.

that's £400 - £480 for the fabric alone which would leave about £200 - £300 to pay the tailor.

... unless you can find some vintage fabric for cheap, and pay a vintage-obsessive non-professional tailor, as Two Types did with Qirrel here on the Lounge.

now that i do the maths, i think the prices aren't that bad. :p

what bothers me is that vintage suits could become a rich man's plaything. [huh]

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I just don't get it. You can get that suit, bespoke made, to your measurements, for under £700.

Hmm...to reiterate HBK's point, I've taken cloth to a tailor and had excellent CMT bespoke suits made for about $600 USD, however these are merely modern suits with classic inspiration. Most tailors I've dealt with wouldn't know where to start if a asked for an exact replica of a period suit.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I think it would be damn difficult to get a suit made to this standard nowadays. I think you'd struggle to find the fabric etc. It's more than just buying good fabric and showing photos to a tailor. The fact that suit sold at that price is a shock but in the cold light of day, if it's your size, it's a good price. It will, in theory, last longer than any modern suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko