Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amazing Dresses

texasgirl

One Too Many
I have been watching this dress on ebay. I thought it would be fun to wear after my wedding, kind of a going-away dress. I never bid on it, the bidding went high just from the beginning. It ended up going for $510!!!! I thought it was just gorgeous, but I just can't imagine paying that much for a dress. I thought it would be fun to post some pictures of dresses that are just beyond the normal. Does anyone else have any dresses/shoes/hats etc. that they would have loved to have?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-50s-Cei...0QQihZ020QQcategoryZ48868QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

dress1-2.jpg

dress2-1.jpg

dress3.jpg

jugband1

New in Town
wow- bummer, that is gorgeous! Vintage things sometimes go sky high on ebay (and in stores too for that matter):(

hope you can find something else as nice in the human price range.

kate

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is a lovely dress, but the person who paid that price is a bit out of their mind!! I've been known to over bid on things in the past, things that I must have, but I don't think I've ever gone that high. It does stink for us who really love vintage. It's dresses like these and people who spend astronomical amounts for them that drive the price up on all the other dresses on the bay. I haven't bought anything in about six weeks, because it seems like their hasn't been that much for sale, and what has been for sale is either really tiny or goes for way too much, or even more unlucky, both!

Grace

Vendor
That's not just another pretty vintage dress, it's a CEIL CHAPMAN, ladies, a very highly sought after designer! Though not couture by any means, very nicely made dresses. Said to be a favorite designer of Marilyn Monroe (and others!) her uses of draping and tucking were unrivaled. Her designs *really* compliment a womans body. $500 is nothing, I've seen them go for almost twice that!

A Ceil Chapman is on my list of 'holy grails'. ;)

texasgirl

One Too Many
Grace said:
That's not just another pretty vintage dress, it's a CEIL CHAPMAN, ladies, a very highly sought after designer! Though not couture by any means, very nicely made dresses. Said to be a favorite designer of Marilyn Monroe (and others!) her uses of draping and tucking were unrivaled. Her designs *really* compliment a womans body. $500 is nothing, I've seen them go for almost twice that!

A Ceil Chapman is on my list of 'holy grails'. ;)

I'm just learning about designers, so I didn't know that. But I still couldn't pay that much for a dress. Maybe if I was wealthy and had the money, but I don't. I just thought if was beautiful!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ditto what Grace said... they got it for a steal!
here's an article from Time from 1961 where it states someone bought a dress for $395! That's $2,661.96 in 1996 currency.
Here's an inflation calculator, if you're interested
And one of her dresses went for auction from Monroe:
A sleeveless black silk dress overlaid with floral-print black lace and adorned with a small frontal train of extra lace; back zipper plus a fourteen snap, back closure; interior label reads: "Ceil Chapman," (one of MM's favorite dress designers) zipper broken. Included is a reprinted black and white image of MM wearing this dress as she stands next to gossip columnist Louella Parsons. PROVENANCE: This piece was originally sold in the October 27-28, 1999 Christie's New York auction titled "The Personal Property of Marilyn Monroe," Sale 9216, Lot 208, Page 155 of that catalogue; final price realized was $25,300; original 'Marilyn' lot tag is still attached.
So there's proof Marilyn wore her stuff :)

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
One more amazing dress that´s worth the price... But too expensive for me!

This one is supposed to have been owned by Marlene Dietrich and is made of 12 pounds of glas-pealrs!!!

f26b_1.JPG

f307_1.JPG

f3b8_1.JPG

f444_1.JPG

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Sari that dress is gorgeous. Wouldn't it be amazing if it really belonged to her? I don't know if I'd trust myself with something that precious, I'd probably have to keep it in a safe. A fireproof one. At the bank.lol

LadyStardust

Practically Family
That first dress is beyond amazing! The information on it is really interesting too, I really have to brush up on my knowledge of classic clothing designers.
The dress I'm about to post I would have no use for even if I had been able to afford it. Funny thing is, it didn't even sell! And the price it was listed was way, way below what the value should be, considering how exquisite it is, so I was stunned, and even dismayed, that noone would want this beauty added to their wardrobe.
Edwardian wedding dress:
31_1.JPG

35_1.JPG

b1_1.JPG

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
*sigh* ANYTHING with a Shaheen or Surfriders label in it is just too much for me. I know friends who think getting one of these dresses for $200 or even $500 (for the Surfriders anyway) is a great deal, but I think that's just plain silly!! I'll top out about $135 if I REALLY love something, but anything more than that and I'd rather just do without.

Amelie

A-List Customer
JazzBaby said:
Sari that dress is gorgeous. Wouldn't it be amazing if it really belonged to her? I don't know if I'd trust myself with something that precious, I'd probably have to keep it in a safe. A fireproof one. At the bank.lol

I actually saw an exhibition in Paris (mus?©e Galliera) some years ago that was all about marlene dietrich wardrobe

A piece like that, if it really belonged to her, is a piece that is worth belonging to a museum

(it was amazing, I wish I could see it again now that I know her more [huh] )

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
LadyStardust said:
That first dress is beyond amazing! The information on it is really interesting too, I really have to brush up on my knowledge of classic clothing designers.
The dress I'm about to post I would have no use for even if I had been able to afford it. Funny thing is, it didn't even sell! And the price it was listed was way, way below what the value should be, considering how exquisite it is, so I was stunned, and even dismayed, that noone would want this beauty added to their wardrobe.
Edwardian wedding dress:
31_1.JPG

35_1.JPG

b1_1.JPG

This is just stunning. It's actually late teens to early early 20's, though. It's stunning. you don't often see wedding dresses that are in that good of shape from that era.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I know! I fawn over all beautiful dresses, but it is really one in a rare few nowadays that really wows me, and this one sure did the trick. I think my jaw literally dropped the first time I happened upon it. It had a buy it now price of only $600, which I think is DIRT CHEAP for an item of such quality and beauty, but no one bought it! I would've grabbed it in the wink of an eye, if I did have the money.

P.S.- I only decided to term it Edwardian because I generally extend the period beyond 1910 to around 1917 or so.

epr25

Practically Family
shoes2.jpg

shoes1.jpg

I saw these on ebay this morning. They would never fit me and I am sure I could never afford them. But aren't they stunning! I think if I ever got shoes like that I would want to sleep in them and never take them off. They are on ebay now in the 50's section if ayone can wear a size 5 and has some expendable cash.

Kim_B

Practically Family
epr25 said:
shoes2.jpg

shoes1.jpg

I saw these on ebay this morning. They would never fit me and I am sure I could never afford them. But aren't they stunning! I think if I ever got shoes like that I would want to sleep in them and never take them off. They are on ebay now in the 50's section if ayone can wear a size 5 and has some expendable cash.

Oh. My. Goodness! Those are absolutely gorgeous shoes!

maisie

Practically Family
epr25 said:
shoes2.jpg

shoes1.jpg

WOW!! Now they are amazing!!! I love all the detail in those espcially the little flowers and the blue metallic straps on the top pair!
I'm definitely a shoe person and love 40's shoes in particular, because they could be 4" high and yet still be comfortable!!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart