Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An album of silent film/B'way stars

panamag8or

Practically Family
Actually, it's three albums. I have no idea how my Grandfather got the trunk the albums were in, but he probably took it in trade for some office furniture back in the 50's.

Anyway, I brought them home, and started to look through them, and realized I had something special. A propertyman named Sid Koster compiled the albums during his time in NY and Hollywood. The albums span the years 1905-1922, and feature some of the biggest names around then:

Mary Pickford
Douglas Fairbanks, Sr.
Harvey Von Meter
Zasu Pitts
Gloria Foy
Walter Catlett
Carlyle Blackwell

And many more.

There are many pictures, including candid family photos of a Ziegfeld girl, Muriel Stryker. She might have been family.

The coolest things are a bunch of on-set photos from the 1916 Fairbanks movie "The Half Breed", with Alma Rubens. Some of them look like they were taken while the cast was clowning around, and there is a full cast shot on the set of the old town in the movie.

There are two pics of movie dogs, with the shadow of the trainer's wand in the photos.

All in all, there are over 100 images of actors and actresses, most of them signed to Sid. I also have several of koster's union cards.

What a great glimpse into the past.

note: If this is posted in the wrong forum, can a bartender move it to the right one?

panamag8or

Practically Family
Here are some pics:

Alma Rubens, from the "Half Breed" set.
alma-rubens.jpg

Fairbanks, from the same movie:
fairbanks.jpg

The "clowning around" pic (he's being "scalped"):
clowning-around.jpg

Cast pic:
halfbreed-cast-photo.jpg

Muriel Stryker, the Ziegfeld Girl:
muriel.jpg

Many pages like this, with autographed photos of actors in costume:
costumes.jpg

More pics to come, when I feel like scanning again.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
According to IMDB, The Half Breed was filmed in Boulder Creek and Calaveras County in California. Please scan more whe you have the time.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Great photos, thanks for posting them!

BTW, Antique Roadshow was in Orlando last week, you might have even made it on air with this find. [huh]

Feraud

Bartender
What amazing photos. Just imagine the medium of film was in it's infancy when these shots were taken.
Please post as many more as you can scan.

panamag8or

Practically Family
I'll scan some more on saturday. I've spent the last couple of hours researching some of the names. I discovered pics of Ted, Rose and Kitty Doner, who were Vaudeville performers. Kitty was in the public eye through the 60's, and danced with Al Jolson in the Vaudeville days.

There are a lot of photos from "Lady Be Good", but I think they are from the touring production. No Fred Astaire, dangit.:rage:

Gloria Foy started her signature "To Sid from Patsy". "Patsy" was a play she was in in L.A.

There are some photos from "Little Nelly Kelly", a 1923 George M. Cohan production.

Happyluv: I will post some more Half Breed pics, but I only have a few more.

Tomasso: Grrrr. I wish I'd posted this 2 weeks ago.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
I am SOOOO excited for you! Oh I do love these discoveries...
they are such a gift in life to stumble on fantastic treasures
as you have here. Thank you for showing us the scans!!

P.S. Muriel Stryker is gorgeous

panamag8or

Practically Family
More pics:

Douglas Fairbanks autograph:
fairbanks-autograph.jpg

Gloria Foy:
gloria-foy.jpg

Frances Parks "From your little friend":
frances-parks.jpg

T.Roy Barnes:
TRoy.jpg

Wynne Gibson:
wynne-gibson.jpg

Movie dog, and Walter L Catlett in a role from "Woodland":
dog-catlett.jpg

more to come...

panamag8or

Practically Family
Muriel Stryker (right) and others in a colorized photo. I wonder if these were Ziegfeld girls:
muriel-color1.jpg

Another photo, with some man. I'd love to ID the people in the photo.
muriel-color2.jpg

panamag8or

Practically Family
The rest of the "Half Breed" pics:

Douglas Fairbanks:
fairbanks-buckskins.jpg

fairbanks-rifle.jpg

Fairbanks with a co-star that isn't Rubens.
fairbanks-costar.jpg

Two co-stars:
half-breed-stars.jpg

A "Posse" scene:
half-breed-posse.jpg

Another set picture:
half-breed-set.jpg

These next two pictures are out on the internet. I've seen them on the Douglas Fairbanks website. They were used as publicity shots for the movie.

fairbanks-log.jpg

fairbanks-butt.jpg

Think about this: The costumes, props, etc. were probably authentic, since the heyday of the wild west was only 30 years prior to this movie being made.

missmelly

One of the Regulars
Silent Ladies & Gents

This may have already been brought up but I wanted to tell you all about a great website that has galleries for all the silent ladies & gents.
www.silentladies.com
It's a great site!!!
Ciao!

.:Miss Melly:.:)

panamag8or

Practically Family
I had to bump this to say that I just got a myspace message from a relative of Kitty Doner, asking for a copy of her pic from the album. I'm guessing she is a FL member that read this thread. I think I'll be nice and send her the original. :)

Hendy Lund Appleton

New in Town
So, I realize this thread is ancient history, but panamag8or, if you still have those albums, I'd love any and all copies of the photos of Muriel Stryker. Muriel was my grandmother's cousin. As a kid, I saw her every year at Thanksgiving at the big family dinner. Even in her late 70s, she was still quite the lithe dancer! Wish I'd known then to listen to more of her stories.

I can be reached directly at hendy@molalla.net.

Actually, it's three albums. I have no idea how my Grandfather got the trunk the albums were in, but he probably took it in trade for some office furniture back in the 50's.

Anyway, I brought them home, and started to look through them, and realized I had something special. A propertyman named Sid Koster compiled the albums during his time in NY and Hollywood. The albums span the years 1905-1922, and feature some of the biggest names around then:

Mary Pickford
Douglas Fairbanks, Sr.
Harvey Von Meter
Zasu Pitts
Gloria Foy
Walter Catlett
Carlyle Blackwell

And many more.

There are many pictures, including candid family photos of a Ziegfeld girl, Muriel Stryker. She might have been family.

The coolest things are a bunch of on-set photos from the 1916 Fairbanks movie "The Half Breed", with Alma Rubens. Some of them look like they were taken while the cast was clowning around, and there is a full cast shot on the set of the old town in the movie.

There are two pics of movie dogs, with the shadow of the trainer's wand in the photos.

All in all, there are over 100 images of actors and actresses, most of them signed to Sid. I also have several of koster's union cards.

What a great glimpse into the past.

note: If this is posted in the wrong forum, can a bartender move it to the right one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran