Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An image request: flat 1940s/50s shoes (maybe Keds)?

Alice~

One of the Regulars
Hello all,

I can no longer wear heels and so, am in need of new shoes. Usually I would rejoice at the thought of needing more shoes, but flat shoes are very alien to me! I would really appreciate if anybody has any information or photos of flat shoes worn around the 40s and 50s. I've been looking at Keds which seem popular among vintage lovers, but I don't recall seeing them in any of the old photos/movies I've seen. :confused:

Thank you for reading :)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here are some '60s ones. The design didn't change all that much.

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Hi Alice,
Are you able to wear a low heel? Remix has some very comfortable 1940's flats. Their price point is high, but they're well made.
101bonebrown.JPG

corazongnlegsm.gif

I have several pairs of Keds - the new versions, not the true vintage Keds - and I don't think they are a quality shoe. In fact, I'm kind of disappointed in the quality, the dyes, the overall sizing and fit.

Bebe*Gunn

New in Town
The Lindy Hop dancers of the 30's and 40's wore an array of flat shoes, including Ked type things and Saddle shoes and also low heeled shoes, like small wedges and tap shoe like Mary Janes:

www.google.co.uk/search?q=whiteys+l...&biw=1024&bih=625&sei=o9ZSUeeRBKS50QWF4ICgDQ#

www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&biw=1...34.9j13j1.23.0...0.0...1c.1.7.img.gTkpgdDwkNs

Even better than images, some film footage of ordinary American women dancing in 1939 - from about 1.46 onwards you get to see a lot of flat and low heeled shoes!*

Alice~

One of the Regulars
Thank you for those photos Dinerman! It seems the design has not changed very much at all. Lily: no heels at all I'm afraid. :( A shame about Keds quality but I'm glad you told me. I don't think I'll get any unless I spot some super cheap in a sale. Bebe, thank you very much for those links! Very helpful indeed. I'm starting to quite like the look of saddle shoes. I wonder if they'll look decent with black stockings/tights? I'm not much of a socks girl... only one way to find out I suppose, time to get saddle-shoe-hunting! :D Thanks all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy