Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AN-J-3 (Navy Version) For An Extremely Tight Budget

Technonut

Practically Family
As posted in my repro Star Sportswear A-2 thread, I am also waiting for Steve S to complete an AN-J-3 remake for me in seal Indian goat / red (brick) cotton liner, and rib-racks to match. Here's a pic showing the contrast:

IMG_3206_zps4rgd2nut.jpg

I have had a 'thing' for the AN-J-3 for quite a few years now, and actually had Gibson & Barnes customize one of their M422-A's for me back when they still did that sort of thing. Basically, they just made the jacket with a leather collar, and epaulets. Here's a pic:

IMG_2833%202_zpsjp8imsgl.jpg

I had the good fortune of seeing Steve S's work some months back, and had him construct one of his AN-J-3's for me. It was a VERY nice jacket, but there were some issues with the fit, and other small nitpicks. To his credit, Steve attempted to fix the issues, but after a couple of tries, the jacket just wasn't right. Here's a pic of the AN when it was new:

IMG_2772_zpsfw5ooqmf.jpg

Instead of tearing into the jacket again, it just made sense to request a total remake, which Steve agreed to. Should be quite nice with the seal Indian goat and brick colored liner and rib-racks for certain. ;)

Anyhow, like I'm sure many of you do, I scout eBay for jackets which interest me on a fairly regular basis. I happened to run into a new jacket today, which is constructed much like the Navy version of the AN-J-3. After checking around other sites, the jacket had very good reviews, with the majority of folks who purchased them happy. In one of the reviews on Amazon I read, it even has the inner wind-flap like the Navy version.

I just went back to eBay, and pulled the trigger on one for the sale price of around $80.00 shipped. That's correct.... Only 80 bucks. :D Here's a link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381138558919?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=650450809617&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Apparently, this is being marketed as a motorcycle jacket. Folks who purchased them commented on how heavy, yet supple the leather is. NO split / seam down the middle of the back panel, high armholes, and nice looking, narrow sleeves. No hand-warmers either. ;) Definitely worth a toss of the dice for me to see for myself. At worse, I will just return it, but I'm thinking it will be alright going by the good reviews. I did read that they run a bit small, and should be sized-up one or two sizes above what one wears. I'm between a 42 and 44R, so, I ordered a size 46 (only 3 of those left now)..

EDIT: These are being shipped from a company in the States. From what I've read, the jackets are made in Pakistan....

I'll update this thread after I receive the jacket. I know that 'lower-end' stuff isn't the norm here, but it just may make one helluva a knock-around AN-J-3 look-a-like for some folks on a tight budget, and can fit into the sizes left. I'm pretty sure that the manufacturer (Mossi), has discontinued these, so whatever's left won't be around long.

Here's a pic I found of a used one in a large size 50 that recently sold on eBay, which shows the color and some grain better than the pics from the stores selling them (It even looks to have the correct larger collar as found on originals):

s-l1600jjjj_zpsw4dq1dbl.jpg

EDIT: Here's a couple pics from the eBay listing:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600jjjjj.jpg

Last edited:

Technonut

Practically Family
It's really not a bad looking jacket at all. Nice find Techno!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! My thoughts exactly. :) I just found that the jacket will be arriving today. If the stitching, leather quality, and construction is up to par, (which going by the reviews it is) it should be a damn nice jacket for the $$. ;) The biggest negative in the reviews was the lack of hand-warmers in the pockets, which is a big plus for my taste. The original price before the sale was around $200.00. $80.00 shipped for a decent Navy AN-J-3 copy is just insanely good IMO.

Keep your fingers crossed that I chose the right fit. ;) If the reviews are correct, it should be bang-on. :)

There are more than likely many here who may not like to admit the tight budgets they're on, and simply cannot afford the 'higher-end' jackets shown here on a regular basis. Hopefully finds like this of reasonable quality and price will help folks who would love to have a period-looking 'good enough' look-a-like jacket to satisfy their sense of vintage-style. :)

I'll get some pics up later this afternoon / evening if time allows.

EDIT: I also ran across this one which looks to be decent, if one could live with a seam down the back's center. Listed as 'new without tags' from an eBay store. It's a copy of the Navy G-8 (No such beast was issued by the Navy, but many such as US Authentic and others make them), and the same brand as the AN-J-3 above (Mossi), made from buffalo-hide (size Large.. Only $59.99 shipped o_O ) :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mossis-Mens...ash=item25b6cf7f8b:g:zTEAAOSwG-1WxLSD&vxp=mtr

Definitely has a nice vintage look IMO..... :cool:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Technonut

Practically Family
Damnit, Damnit, Damnit!! There must be a few reviewers who don't know what they're talking about, or do not know their size. The size 46 that arrived is in fact a decent size 46! ( 4 inches of chest room) Too large for me, and they have no more 42's or 44's.. :(

However, it may be good news for those out there who are interested, because for the $$, this is a VERY nice jacket. Looks to be full-grain just like the tag states, and well-constructed. Substantial, yet supple leather. I definitely will be on the look-out for one in either a 42 or 44. So, anyone who wants a pretty sweet value in a jacket, and is around a size 46 ( or a bit larger for a more military fit), do not be wary of purchasing one. ;)

I have free return shipping activated in my PayPal account, so I will be reimbursed for shipping it back. No worries there. :) I took measurements for interested folks also:

Pit-Pit: 25"
Across Shoulders: 21"
Rear collar seam to end of knit waistband: 26 1/2"
Sleeves (to end of knits): 26 1/2" (This may be a bit longer when worn due to the action back, and gussets)

Here are some pics. The jacket came nicely packaged in a large box also.

IMG_3060_zpsqackpctw.jpg

IMG_3061_zpsznb5rnty.jpg

IMG_3063_zpsqwdo8mpy.jpg

IMG_3064_zps1tsfvmjs.jpg

IMG_3065_zpsgwxlhpjd.jpg

IMG_3062_zpshuzjoyox.jpg

IMG_3067_zpsnvgj47r5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran