Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Open Road Pretender?

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
P.S. Wormser

Almost forgot;

Where does Wormser fit into the quality scheme for vintage hatters? I know there are different levels within brands, but a "Beaver blend, 10 star quality" sounds as if it would be at least a semi-premium in the line. Higher numbers and lots of superlatives always sounds better, right? :rolleyes:

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Wormser is generally considered to be a maker of mid-grade hats. Of course, by today's standards, those would be pretty nice hats. As long as the moth holes aren't too bad, you should have a nice hat.

I think there are quite a few threads in this forum in which Wormser hats are discussed. Have you tried the search feature?

One question that I'll throw out to the forum...is "Milliner" the correct term to use for a maker of men's hats? Every definition I've ever seen refers specifically to women's hats. Is there a different term for a maker of men's hats?

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I believe that a milliner is a maker of hats for women, or at least it has become so in modern times. The term I have seen for a maker or repairer of men's hats is a hatter.

karol

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Aha! Thank you, Alan and Karol; I stand corrected, as does my initial post!

I mistakenly used the term after seeing many fedora hat blocks and related items as "milliners' supplies".

It all depends on the size of those "pinholes." Looks like a nice hat, though, and probably one that could be made nearly good as new by a competent hatter. Maybe Fedora Steve would be the guy to consult, once the hat arrives, about the possibilities for either repairing the damage so that it disappears or at least preventing it from getting any worse with wear.

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
eBay disappointment - but not a total loss

Well, the Wormser OR-style hat arrived today and I can only say that it must have been a really nice lid - once upon a time. :cry: The apparent quality is easily the equal of any of my Royal Stetson grade hats. Not great, but no slouch.

The look and feel is definitely OR, and the 2 so-called pinholes are bad enough. The one on the top is tiny and would be an easy fix. The one that was described as on the back of the hat is about 1 inch below the peakand about 2mm diameter!!! Now the clincher; it has those nasty little moth 'tracks' all over it - ALL OVER IT! :mad: The topside of the brim has a few square inches without them, but you really have to look it over to find an un-munched spot. Had I seen and held the hat, I wouldn't have bought it, period. You can barely see the hole in the picture (no, I meant the hat!!), but from 10 feet away, the hat looks passable...
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/surfnjoe/Open Roadies/wormser0.jpg

On the other hand, it was a 7 1/4, not a 7 1/8 as described, so no stretching needed! It fits quite well and doesn't smell funky. Being the diehard, I brushed and lightly cleaned it, then judiciously steamed the few kinks out to a roughly acceptable shape. I now have a very attractive beater that I can wear when I wouldn't subject a decent lid to abuse, or I have a spare band and liner.

It's really sad that such a nice hat should succumb to such extensive moth munchies. Oh well, I'd rather spend $20 on a vintage beaver blend beater than some Dorfman or other offshore POS...[huh]

Well dang, Lid, sorry to hear it. But I like your attitude. It makes a stylin' beater, to wear in foul weather and/or on occasions when you might get dirty.

Open Road Guild information request!

PutALidOnIt said:
I now have a very attractive beater that I can wear when I wouldn't subject a decent lid to abuse, or I have a spare band and liner. Oh well, I'd rather spend $20 on a vintage beaver blend beater than some Dorfman or other offshore POS...[huh]
Too bad about the munchie moth tracks but if it looks ok, now you have a true work hat. Yard work, surveying, geologist mining surveys, camping, trailwork, building the Alaskan Highway, Caribo hunting, general outdoors stuff, maybe even manning the BBQ!

From the info in the hat sweat band does there seem to be a model name we can add to the Open Road flattery list of imitators?
OR Guild Salutes you!:cheers1:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lid,
I am sorry to hear that it didn't meet your expectations.
I hate when eBayers misrepresent their items, keeping things just gray-enough that it is difficult to argue.
It sure looks good on though.

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Craig Robertson said:
Nice hat regardless...so...it has a little "character" and you can happily wear it without worrying about it.

My take exactly, Lid... you have a stylish enough hat to not be ashamed of, but not so special that you have to baby it and you got it all for $20. Not a bad bargain considering how good it looks on you. :cool2:

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the support, guys!

Wow, John...Now, because of this hat, I gotta be ambitious???Yard work, surveying, geologist mining surveys, camping, trailwork, building the Alaskan Highway, Caribou hunting, general outdoors stuff, maybe even manning the BBQ!

OK, the BBQ is good; :hamburger I can handle that, but I flashed on an ugly sight...an Open Road chef's hat - no brim, just the crown, and grease and sauce splats on it...:essen:

As I have mentioned in other posts - with eBay, you puts down yo' money, and yo' takes yo' chances! If I don't get the bargain, it's not a big deal. If one like this comes through, it's a bit disappointing, but some value is still there. Had I gone with the trend and bid up to the "Open Road with lots of good macro shots" level ($75-200 range) and this one arrived, I would have arranged a return/refund. No need to make a ruckus over $20.

Of course I think I should put up for auction some ancient Roman coins I have - I know they are authentic because they are dated 78 B.C.!!! :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner