Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any budding ww2 jacket artists out there?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Cool!

Is it an original work you did yourself?

This is one of my jackets.

Opus095.jpg

(Uhhmmmm,....the white square with the red X in it is NOT what I posted! :eusa_doh: )

Paden

Vendor
Hi Major,

a friend did the artwork.
I like it very much, on the bottom of the art,there are red bombs in line.
You can not see it on the picture.
It is hard work, believe me.

Paden

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I believe you.

Paden said:
Hi Major,

a friend did the artwork.
I like it very much, on the bottom of the art,there are red bombs in line.
You can not see it on the picture.
It is hard work, believe me.

Paden

I've recently painted a few myself.

Opus095.jpg

Hey! It worked this time! :) This is the back of my russet horsehide.

StraightRazor

Familiar Face
Seeing this great jacket artwork gave me an idea. This is something I could do! I dug through some old sketchbooks and found all of the pictures of dame-er women I could find. I threw in some old paintings too, just so you can see I can work in color.
indycd010.jpg

indycd012.jpg

indycd014.jpg

indycd015.jpg

indycd016.jpg

indycd019.jpg

indycd020.jpg

indycd022.jpg

indycd023.jpg

That last one is a work in progress. :cool: Like I said, these are mostly just sketches, I dont really get a chance to paint women that often. I have dozens of other paintings I've done over the years, though. Also, I've never done a painting on leather before, but I'll take a whack at it! (I have done a 12' high by 8' wide mural though! And I felt like Michaelangelo the whole time!)

NH

StraightRazor

Familiar Face
Lets not start that up again! :) :rolleyes:

Oh, and dont mind the black smudges on that one, I'm usually a festidiously clean worker. They'll be covered up in the end anyway.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Very good Mr. Razor,.......

StraightRazor said:
Seeing this great jacket artwork gave me an idea. This is something I could do! I dug through some old sketchbooks and found all of the pictures of dame-er women I could find. I threw in some old paintings too, just so you can see I can work in color.

That last one is a work in progress. :cool: Like I said, these are mostly just sketches, I dont really get a chance to paint women that often. I have dozens of other paintings I've done over the years, though. Also, I've never done a painting on leather before, but I'll take a whack at it! (I have done a 12' high by 8' wide mural though! And I felt like Michaelangelo the whole time!)

NH

Very good indeed! You've got that graphic novel look down. :arated:
As to painting on leather, that's quite a bit differant than working on canvas or paper. Especially if you're accustomed to working with oils as I was. I had to literally learn how to paint all over again, but it didn't take long to get the hang of it. I just had to hustle and paint much faster as the media employed for leather dries extremely rapidly! Feel free to PM me for some inside tips and pointers or questions if you want to.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
We have gifted artists!

Major, you painted that ? Wow you have a talent. Looks just like out of WWII.
And Razor, you have a gift. I can't draw a tic tac toe well, but I know good art when I see it. You guys, and maybe there are more out there, we should consider posting your work in a section. If not, how about the Steamer Trunk or maybe some other appropriate thread.

Nice work.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Thank you.

Andykev said:
Major, you painted that ? Wow you have a talent. Looks just like out of WWII.
And Razor, you have a gift. I can't draw a tic tac toe well, but I know good art when I see it. You guys, and maybe there are more out there, we should consider posting your work in a section. If not, how about the Steamer Trunk or maybe some other appropriate thread.

Nice work.

I always strive for an authentic look when painting an A2.
And sure, I would be amenable to some sort of art category. That's a good idea. As I recall, there are a few others here that are accomplished artists in various media.
I would really enjoy seeing what others are doing in their chosen form of expression. Clothing especially! :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great "jacket art" thread.

Love these sorts of threads where folk talk about their jacket art, but more impressively we find out that a number of us have 'had a go' at it ourselves! (so I've just adapted the thread title to get a few more on board with this). Often, folk will toy with the idea of doing some jacket art, but because of the price of some repro jackets, they are afraid to mess it up! Also, often people aren't sure what types of paints, brushes and styles to use, so maybe this is an opportunity to share some of those little techniques and info, based on your own experiences! It's great when others can learn from our own mistakes!

Oh gents, many of the great pin-ups used in WWII jacket art are nudes and great ones at that. But I'd appreciate if you refrain from posting those hot babes here (hard, I know!!), as Lounge rules prefer no nudity. Thanks guys for your support!

Jake

One of the Regulars
Nick, your jacket looks very authentic, like Andykev said "Right out of WWII". I wish I had that sort of talent. Razor, fantanstic drawings you should try painting jackets as well. Maybe someone should try a Fedora Lounge logo jacket. Jake

StraightRazor

Familiar Face
Well, I havent painted in the oil style for about 4-5 years, but that is how I started out and you really never forget. Right now I work in an odd watercolor/colored pencil style that I formed from experience/trial and error. I'm a huge fan of the pin up style, I have 2 books on Gil Elvgren, (I'm a HUGE fan of his work, the 'Norman Rockwell' of cheesecake), numerous books on the pin-up style, and I want some books on jacket art.

I just recently got my right drawing arm out of a cast, but I'm getting pumped to start whipping up some better examples for the jacket crowd here. I wouldnt expect anyone to send me a jacket without some good examples of painted leather!

What is the best book on bomber nose art or jacket art??

Oh, and thank you all for your comments!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I don't own copies, but I've seen American Flight Jackets and it looks really fantastic on a thumb-through. Same for Art of the Flight Jacket.
Both have hundreds of great and useful illustrations.
The prices are very steep (to me), so I watch ebay for a 2nd hand copy of either.

StraightRazor

Familiar Face
Favorite pinup image of all time...

Like I said, I'm a huge fan of Elvgren, but Petty to me is king. I'm working my way through Amazon looking for the best Petty and Jacket art books...

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Jake

Jake said:
Nick, your jacket looks very authentic, like Andykev said "Right out of WWII". I wish I had that sort of talent. Razor, fantanstic drawings you should try painting jackets as well. Maybe someone should try a Fedora Lounge logo jacket. Jake

And that's a good idea,......a jacket with the logo I think would look awesome on a black silk jacket! :arated: Or a t - shirt.Could even be one of those items for sale in the classifieds. Just have them made on demand by Cafepress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24