Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any guesses?

Dalexs

Practically Family
So I'm rebuilding this hat as a project. I posted it over on Club Obi Wan for the Indy gearheads to try to guess.
Thought I'd give the experts a crack at it.
Any takers? Winner gets a round on me!

newhat.jpg

(And that is my new vintage tie I just picked up the day HJ stole the borsalino hat from me! ;) )

Andykev said:
My guess is it is a modern western cowboy hat you cut and blocked and ribboned to make it the Indy looking hat it is today.

I don't know if you're right about that, Andykev, but you surely did give me an idea about what might be done with an old cowboy hat just taking up space in my closet.

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
Careful now

tonyb said:
I don't know if you're right about that, Andykev, but you surely did give me an idea about what might be done with an old cowboy hat just taking up space in my closet.
In another thread some cupcake named Bart will insist you have no stones for desecrating a cowboy hat! :p :p :p
DR

Dalexs

Practically Family
DocIndyJones said:
I'm going to guess it's from Burlington Coat Factory.

-DocIndyJones

Yeah, nice guess. I posted the answer over on COW at noon... :rolleyes:

Yes, it s a $12 Burlington Coat Factory special. Czech Republic body.
Reblocked, re-pounced (something fierce) and vintage 1 7/8 ribbon added.
I working on getting it away from the Indy look.
But considering you're holding the gun, call it wheatever you'd like!

Dalexs

Dalexs

Practically Family
As far as I know, they actually are beaver felt.
I think Fedora mentioned once that the bodies are probably seconds, throw-away, bottom of the barrelt type things.
They throw a cheapo ribbon on them and stick them on the shelf.

Judging from the photos, you did quite well. Was the ribbon salvaged from a vintage hat, or did you happen to have some NOS ribbon on hand?
What kind of sweatband did that hat come with? Is it still there, or did you replace it?
Sorry for all the questions, but I think it's great that a guy can get a nice hat for just a few bucks and a bit of ingenuity and elbow grease, and I wanna know more about it. It's enough to make me snap up every dirty, worn-out, non-fitting old hat I can find (for cheap, of course), just to have the parts around when a good body turns up for all of 12 bucks.

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars

Really Dalexs I didn't know. I was just at Burlington Coat Factory the other day and it looked like a hat they had there. I hope I didn't ruin anything... dang it great now it looks like I'll be riding in the back of the ol' PT Cruiser forever now... :eusa_doh:

-DocIndyJones

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80