Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Jack Finney fans here?

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Hi, all --

Seeing how visiting the Lounge is like time-traveling, I'm wondering how many here are fans of my favorite fantasy writer of the Golden Era (or any era, for that matter), Walter Braden (Jack) Finney.

Aside from _The Body Snatchers_, he wrote dozens of great short stories from the late 40s to the mid 60s that appeared in Collier's and The Saturday Evening Post, many with "Twilight Zone"-like surprises and lots of time travel.

Movies made from his non-time-travel works include "Five Against the House" (with Frank Sinatra), "Good Neighbor Sam" with Jack Lemmon and, of course, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers."

There's a new book out that analyzes the man and his works called _Stealing Through Time_, by Jack Seabrook. Anybody read it yet? I'm itching to myself, since I'm not aware of any other study of Finney's writing.

Curious to see if there are any other Finney fans out there!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I was about eleven I read a Jack Finney story called "Of Missing Persons..." which has stuck with me ever since. It's a very sad, moody piece about a tired Everyman who misses out on his once chance to escape from his dreary grey world. A really haunting piece of work that would have made a lovely Twilight Zone episode...

max the cat

Familiar Face
jack finney

I wondered when a Lounger might discuss Jack finney- I read and reread Time and Again and a collection of short stories(name of anthology not remembered)-characters have stayed with me-it seems to me one short story dealt with an actress of the 1920's-there are probably other such examples. great topic for this forum.

max

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Begin: I think you'll really like "The Love Letter." Campbell Scott (who read the _Time and Again_ and _From Time to Time_ audio books) is a great fit for a Finney hero. Also, you may like "The Lake House," just out on DVD with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. It's a movie Finney probably would've liked.

Lizzie: I like that one too. My favorite Jack Finney short is probably "Lunch Hour Magic," about a pair of otherworldly glasses the protagonist picks up at a neighborhood magic/gift shop.

Max: I think you're talking about _Marion's Wall_ -- that's one of my wife's favorites. It does a terrific job of evoking the 20s era through a flapper's ghost.

Oh, sorry about the misinfo I posted above -- Frank Sinatra was in "Assault on a Queen" (another Finney "caper" story), not "Five Against the House."

Flash Gordon

Familiar Face
Some years back, I sent Jack Finney my copies of his "Time" books (NOT first editions, unfortunately) and he sent them back signed to me. Very nice keepsakes of a fine writer. So I think kindly of Jack Finney.

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Too Cool!

Flash, that's awesome. Unfortunately, I came to Finney-fandom late, and never tried to write him. Whatever printing they are, those books of yours are keepers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran