Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any ladies still sporting a pixie cut?

SheBear74

Practically Family
As always I spend years growing my hair out just to cut it all off again. I always end up with the same thing... Pixie :) My husband likes it long, but I find it just stays in a clip or ponytail and drives me crazy.

I was wondering if any of you ladies have a pixie cut, and how you style it.

Foofoogal

Banned
I had one but it is growing out. I know I look best in that look but I like longer hair. My mom totally believed in pixie hair for me and round toed navy blue tennis shoes. Have no idea why?

I do love it on the right face though.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had them every summer until I was 17, so no more for me!
I think they look really cute on other gals, though, I just need more hair to balance the hips!

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
I have a grown out pixie cut. It's now almost chin length, but my hair grows impossibly fast. I love it short, but my desire to be able to set it with rollers without scalding my fingers is compelling - I find myself letting it grow. My birthday is coming up. I somehow doubt I'll make it past without jumping in and finally getting it cute like Jean Seberg.

The pressure to have long hair (long-ish hair, longer hair) I find pretty omnipresent.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I don't think you can call my two shortest cuts pixies because of the direction my hair grows in. I find short hair to be too much of a hassle on a daily basis and high cost. Besides, I like to be able to variate between leaving my hair down or putting it up because it has a dramatic effect on my features and I like that ponytails are simple. Just don't wear your hair up the same way all the time, especially not in a ponytail because it puts stress on your hair in the same place each time and can lead to breakage.

My husband complimented me more when I wore my hair short but I don't care. My hair is on my head and I'm the one who has to deal with it.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I cut mine off into a pixie every couple of years, the most recent time was around Easter of 2009. When it's first cut, I just style it as cut, usually kind of spiky on top, jagged fringes around the face, and don't bother trying to do vintage hair. There's not much one can do until it's long enough to curl.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Just when I was starting to experiment with wave clips and figuring out some 20s looks, I got my annual haircut; though I showed the stylist a photo of short, wispy, flat, pseudo-Audrey hair, at some point she got out a boatload of product and the blow dryer, causing me to go home looking like Sheena Easton, circa 1983. Oh, the horror.
Fortunately, a quick dip of my head under the kitchen tap sorted it out.
So yes, mine is pixie-ish. It grows pretty quickly, and is rather thick, so for summer heat and humidity I prefer the carefree, less is more hair days. As it grows out, I usually trim the sticky-out, mullety back while letting the front and sides catch up, which helps it morph into a bob.
Having just learned that Tulsa is having a Gatsby Picnic in October, I reckon I've time enough to plan for a suitable style.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I had a pixie from 1998 to 2001. Not the look I want to go for these days. Cute on others -- looks HORRIBLE on me.

HopeB

New in Town
pixies

I go back & forth between Audrey's longer, neatly parted '50s pixie (though her length around the ears did vary a little bit; http://weddingtipster.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/1950s-audrey-hepburn-mel-ferrer.jpg) and a Mia Farrow in "Rosemary's Baby" look.

Makeup-wise, I think you can go retro with shorter hair, but I tend to pick softer, more sheer lip colors and emphasize my eyes. For some reason, the full '50s eye & red lip look starker on me with shorter hair, though Audrey did it sometimes: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cm/goodhousekeeping/images/audrey-hepburn-pixie-hg-de.jpg.

Some favorite products: Murray's Wax (era-authentic, but made for African-American hair, so it is thick and waxy, rather than creamy), Jonathan Dirt, TiGi Manipulator.

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
I do! I hated it when it was first cut, but i love it now. It needs trimmed and i was thinking of going to a barber because they have more practice with short hair trimming and are most likely less expensive than lady's hair parlors. I use Alfa Parf hair wax it smells divine, and i use a small toothed plastic yellow comb to keep it in check.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I'm thinking of going for a pixie-ish cut. Something like Audrey's in Sabrina - I love those slicked back sides.

audrey-hepburn-in-makeup_5.jpg

audrey_hepburn.jpeg

sabrina_humphrey_bogart_audrey_hepburn-437x5002.jpg

audrey-hepburn-having-her-hair-shampooed.jpg

SheBear74

Practically Family
I am going to let my back come out just a bit, but I love love love having short hair :) Though you can't do the V roll thing, I think you can still look vintage. Best of both worlds in my book ;)

I actually took the clippers to the back of my head the other night. lol I cut my boy's hair so I figured why not give it a try. It will tide me over till my next trim ;)

I love that pic of Audrey getting her hair done, really shows her cut.

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
I'm new to trying to dress more vintage and trying to grow out my pixie cut. I just can't seem to make it look anything other than straight and modern.
I think it's just not long enough yet, I had it about an inch all over and now it's got about 3 months growth.

Those pictures do help, were there any other ladies that had that short hair?

lframe

One of the Regulars
MissHannah said:

Mine is this length now and I am loving it. It's very versatile for me, but I am missing longer hair.

Maybe after the oppressive heat winds down I will think about growing it out again.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I love pixie cuts but I am afraid I just can't wear them. They are a favourite style, but my face shape refuses to cooperate and I am afraid of looking like a horror.

Everyone tells me not to go shorter than a chin-length bob - at shortest - but I love Audrey and Elizabeth Taylor type short cuts. What's a girl with a flatter, wider face to do?

MissHannah

One Too Many
Maybe go for a shorter but curly do. The width of the curls should create the illusion of a narrower face.

4808020885_04cab1ae9a_z.jpg

4808066235_4a42bc508f.jpg

4808686682_7125bb0912.jpg

I don't know what decade you're into but this kind of cut can be styled to fit 40s, 50s and 60s. It does mean setting your hair every night though as it looks really mumsy and boring if left unstyled, unless you have a natural curl or wave to your hair.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Went and got it all chopped off last night. The audrey fringe had to go as it made me look too normal!

Horrible photos so far:

4814735525_fb06a35525.jpg

4814735463_2516e8782e.jpg

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Very nice, Miss Hannah. How do you get your swoop to stay back and off your face like that? It looks like your hair is about the same length as mine, but I cannot make my front bit do anything other than flop across my face, and even that requires a flat iron and wax or gel or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner