Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any tips for helping to disguise double chin and neck

cashun

New in Town
I was wondering if anyone had any makeup tips for disguising a double chin and fat neck. I've recently been on steroids for an illness...and well for anyone who has ever had to be on those, you know how the weight can pile on and settle all over your face.

I have very pale skin, and of course would love to know what the actresses of the 30's, 40's, and 50's did to disguise weight gain in their faces. Any product suggestions and application tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

crwritt

One Too Many
I was wondering if anyone had any makeup tips for disguising a double chin and fat neck. I've recently been on steroids for an illness...and well for anyone who has ever had to be on those, you know how the weight can pile on and settle all over your face.

I have very pale skin, and of course would love to know what the actresses of the 30's, 40's, and 50's did to disguise weight gain in their faces. Any product suggestions and application tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Maybe this?
D.Tomaszewski_2510_aw12_PW-cropped-proto-custom_14.jpg

just joking

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
While the above pic is a joke, don't underestimate the effect that hair can have in disguising face shape. Hair styles that end around/just below chin-length cast shadows on the underside of your chin, hiding it a bit.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
You can contour with a dark shadow/bronzer under the chin, to reduce the look of a double chin. I'm not exactly sure of how this is done professionally, but C-dot would be the lady to ask.

No polo-necks or high necked tops, aim for a v-neck, open-necked shirt or a scooped, rounder shape which will draw attention down the body away from the chin and neck. Same with jewellery, an eye catching pendant on a longer chain rather than a choker or say a string of pearls that are tight round the neck, again will draw the eye away from the neck area. Same with a scarf loosely knotted round the base of the throat. Dangly earrings will make the neck look elongated, if you like to wear earrings.

I hope you feel better soon x

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
You can contour with a dark shadow/bronzer under the chin, to reduce the look of a double chin. I'm not exactly sure of how this is done professionally, but C-dot would be the lady to ask.

Awh, gee :D I love a recommendation.

Contouring very pale skin can be a major pain - Just ask me, I'm as pale as they come. Bronzers can tend to look too orange, or much too dark, and they usually contain shimmer that will not show up nicely on you. What you want is a taupe, preferably matte, and depending on your undertones probably a more grey toned taupe. MAC has StudioFix powders that come in dark ivories, so I suggest going to their counter and asking the artist to try some out on you. She will show you how to dust it around your jawline to enhance it's look.

ThePowderKeg is spot on about hair, too. Keep it longer, at least past mid-neck, and the more volume the better. Straight hair can be a bit severe and accentuate the weight around your face.

As for actresses in the Golden Era, I'm sure posture had a lot to do with it. Study Lana Turner's face - You'll notice in her films that she has a bit of a double chin (if you recall The Bad and The Beautiful, there is a scene when she is sitting on her bed smoking a cigarette where it is quite apparent) but in her photographs you never see it. The trick in photographs is to jut your chin out - while it may feel awkward, it looks perfect. You can use that trick in real life aswell: Relax in front of a mirror and study your own face objectively, then practice lifting your chin until you feel comfortable. Soon it will become second nature. :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Pressing the tip of your tongue into the centre of your upper palette, (as if you were saying the "l" in "long"), when having a picture taken also gives the look of a more refined jawline and can help with a double chin in pics. It does work, i have tried it. (That i got from an old beauty book).

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I have a very weak chin and chubby neck. I'm very pale and I highly recommend contouring. I do it every day and it definitely helps. I use MAC Skinfinish Natural powder in medium-dark. It is very brown in the pan, but it applies very sheer & light, and blends perfectly. I use it under my cheekbones and under my chin & jaw, and 2 very well-blended lines down the front/sides of my neck just outside the adam's apple area. Youtube has lots of good tutorials on contouring. You can also try visiting a makeup counter - I'd recommend MAC - and ask them for tips.

Also highlighting other areas such as the bridge of your nose and cheekbones can help draw attention away from the problem areas. For that I use either BareEscentuals well lit, or MAC cream color base in Pearl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner