Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have experience with Schott lambskin?

Bulldozer

One of the Regulars
Or better still, the Schott Raven, P213?

I'm concerned about the durability of the leather considering how thin the jacket is compared to what I'm used to -- horween horsehide and steerhide.

Have you owned them for a few years? How have they held up?

Thanks!

Hi!

When it comes to durability, lambskin in general hardly compares to horsehide and steerhide. I read somewhere on schottnyc.com that they source heaviest lambskin they can find but even then, the weight comes out at half of their horse/cow hides. The article stated it's 1.5 to 2 oz at most. In addition to being lighter, it's also much softer and will rip more easily.

But..!

That doesn't mean the jacket will start falling apart or anything. Like any leather, it is still very durable and lambskin jackets will last you decades if properly cared for but you definitely have to be a bit more careful what you do with it.

I really love this jacket, though. I mean, if you don't ride or don't plan on subjecting the jacket to too much punishment, it ought to serve you just fine. I definitely would not dismiss it. If I had millions of money, I'd get it.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Or better still, the Schott Raven, P213?

I'm concerned about the durability of the leather considering how thin the jacket is compared to what I'm used to -- horween horsehide and steerhide.

Have you owned them for a few years? How have they held up?

Thanks!

If it is reasonable quality (and Schott meets this criteria) it will be fine. People I have known have had lambskin jackets last for decades. You wouldn't do laboring it one but street wear is fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21