Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have experience with Yates Menswear in Australia? (Akubra Straws)

MattJH

One Too Many
I like their selection and prices in Akubra straws (particularly the Hayman and the Capricorn). I filled out their order form a few days ago (no credit card information, just contact information) and never received a response, so I sent them a direct email today just in case the order form is broken.

Just curious if anybody has ever dealt with them before.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Never bought from them, but 2 days without any response would be an instant no-go for me, even if they replied to the email.

At this point in the life-cycle of the internet, if a company can't maintain a functioning, fully updated, responsive web-presence, they don't get my business. Likewise, if something says "ships in 2 to 3 business days" I move along - there's simply no excuse for it.

I've gotten burned several times in the last six months by internet "stores", and I've learned to look for little warning signs. Not answering email is one of them.

Joel

Wesne

One of the Regulars
Joel Tunnah said:
Never bought from them, but 2 days without any response would be an instant no-go for me, even if they replied to the email.

At this point in the life-cycle of the internet, if a company can't maintain a functioning, fully updated, responsive web-presence, they don't get my business.

Well said. I have the same policy.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I'm a bit more forgiving, but I believe I'd get on the phone to them. Internet relays can break for reasons beyond the control of the merchant.

MattJH

One Too Many
Pilgrim said:
I'm a bit more forgiving, but I believe I'd get on the phone to them. Internet relays can break for reasons beyond the control of the merchant.

I'm just outside Philadelphia, PA. Not worth an international call for me. If they were within the continental 48, I certainly would.

lenj

New in Town
Yates Men's Wear

Bought an Akubra Boss of the Plains hat from them.

They were courteous, pleasant to deal with; hat arrived in perfect condition. Hope you have the same experience.

Lenj

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here

"Akubra
Capricorn

From the Akubra Straw Hat range, this hat is made from polypropylene for durability. A dress hat that's comfortable in hot weather, straw type hats provide good ventilation. Wide ribbon hatband."
:eusa_doh:

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
lenj said:
Bought an Akubra Boss of the Plains hat from them.

Lenj, please post some pics! I love the look of that hat. Seems like an Open Road, but with a man-sized brim, and without all that sissy edge binding. ;)

Joel

MattJH

One Too Many
Interesting. Akubra summer hats are made of polypropylene. From Wikipedia's entry on it (italics are mine):

"Polypropylene or polypropene (PP) is a thermoplastic polymer, made by the chemical industry and used in a wide variety of applications, including food packaging, textiles, plastic parts and reusable containers of various types, thermal pants and shirts made for the military, laboratory equipment, loudspeakers, automotive components, and polymer banknotes. An addition polymer made from the monomer propylene, it is rugged and unusually resistant to many chemical solvents, bases and acids."

Doesn't sound so bad. It basically sounds like a particularly rugged, multi-functional material. What I'm most curious about, though, is what it feels like on my head. I'm completely new to straws and their variants. Anyone have a summer Akubra hat?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Akubra straws

Mojave Jack said:
Is that true?! I sure hope not, because there are a couple Akubra straws I've been eyeing for the coming summer.

Here is the list and from my observation most if not all are poly:

http://www.akubra.com.au/products_straws.html

Here is the history of Akubra Hats

The fascinating background of an aussie icon
In 1874 Benjamin Dunkerley arrived in Tasmania from England and decided to start a hat making business in Hobart. His skills as a hatter were backed by his ability to invent machinery, and soon after his arrival he had developed a mechanical method of removing the hair tip from rabbit fur so the under-fur could be used in felt hat making. Previously this task had to be done by hand.

In the 1880's Dunkerley moved the business to Crown Street, Surry Hills, an inner suburb of Sydney, setting up a small hat making factory.

In 1902 Stephen Keir I, who had also migrated from England, joined Dunkerley. Keir had hat making experience from England, and was seen as a valuable acquisition for the business. In 1905 he married Ada Dunkerley, Benjamin's daughter and soon after was made General Manager. Since that time the hat making firm has been in the hands of succeeding generations of the Keir family. In 1911, the business became Dunkerley Hat Mills Ltd, and had a mere nineteen employees.

The trade name "Akubra" came into use in 1912. The increasing popularity resulted in the move to larger premises in Bourke Street, Waterloo and expanded production, especially of Slouch hats during World War I. Soon after all hats were branded Akubra. When Dunkerley died in 1925, ownership of the business transferred to Stephen Keir 1. The business continued to flourish and when Stephen Keir retired in 1952 he was succeeded as Managing Director by his eldest son, Herbert. His second son, Stephen Keir II, served as General Manager and became Managing Director in 1972. His son, Stephen Keir III, became Managing Director in 1980. Another son, Graham, joined the firm in 1972, first as sales representative for Northern NSW and later as National Sales Manager. Unfortunately, Graham died prematurely in 1987. The fourth generation of the Keir family continues the succession, and Stephen Keir IV, son of Stephen Keir III, is now General Manager.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hmmm. I'm kinda bummed. I love my Akubra, but I'm not too interested in a plastic hat! Sounds kinda hot. The idea of it melting to my head in the middle of a Mojave summer isn't too appealing, either! lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24