Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know anything about this hatmaker Daquino?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I assume it's cheaper for her being in Lisbon, not to mention Portugal's economy being what it is, it's the cheapest country in mainland Europe to begin with.

Of she could be BS-ing me, though that would be a funny story to make up. And the hat feels distinctly different than any rabbit or rabbit-beaver blend hat I have.

Cheaper for her because she is in Portugal so no import charges and transportation is cheap.
A 100% beaver felt with western weight is less than 100 euros, less heavy = less expensive.
Hats in Portugal are cheap and almost looks like nonsense to choose a wool hat. I can get a wool hat for 35 euros, a bunny hat for 60 euros and a beaver hat for less than 100 euros. I am somehow amazed Stetson charges $311 for a new 6x Tom Mix when I can have one made for less than half the cost in 100% beaver felt.

And yes, life in here is cheap. You also need to mention we do have one of the lowest of the European Union minimal salary.

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Cheaper for her because she is in Portugal so no import charges and transportation is cheap.
A 100% beaver felt with western weight is less than 100 euros, less heavy = less expensive.
Hats in Portugal are cheap and almost looks like nonsense to choose a wool hat. I can get a wool hat for 35 euros, a bunny hat for 60 euros and a beaver hat for less than 100 euros. I am somehow amazed Stetson charges $311 for a new 6x Tom Mix when I can have one made for less than half the cost in 100% beaver felt.

And yes, life in here is cheap. You also need to mention we do have one of the lowest of the European Union minimal salary.

Thanks, Aether!

Never heard of anyone who visited Portugal and didn't consider it their favorite country in Europe. Nicest people, most affordable.

It'd be interesting to see some of the more experienced Loungers order from Luisa - I'd be curious to see what they think about her work first-hand.

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Enzo, could you post some pictures in natural light of the Daquino hats?
Very simple from side , front and trocar.
I think it helps to have a better point of view on the hat.
Thanks a lot

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Enzo, could you post some pictures in natural light of the Daquino hats?
Very simple from side , front and trocar.
I think it helps to have a better point of view on the hat.
Thanks a lot

Daniele, you beat me to the punch - I was just about to do that. I'm very much struck by how much more the tan in the felt comes out in natural light, while in artificial light it's much more of the dove grey with a faint hint of something like lavender to it. I don't think I got anything with the full-on side view today, but if the weather is good tomorrow I'll snap something.

Given your great expertise with European hats, I'll be very interested to hear what you think, both of the styling and the felt itself. As I said the template was a 40's Stetson Flagship, and to my eye she's sort of given me the love child of that and a 50's Borsalino or Flechet. But your eye is much better-trained than mine.

IMG_2175.jpg IMG_2190.jpg IMG_2184.jpg IMG_2182.jpg IMG_2178.jpg IMG_2143.jpg

AMGbullitt

Familiar Face
Enzo I think you new hat looks fantastic. It does look tan in natural light but I really like that.
COngrats again.
I can't wait to see what Luisa makes for me. I doubt it will be the only hat I order from her.

Last edited:

stratcat

One of the Regulars
Finally dropped the hammer on my order. So, with any luck I should be able to give a full report in about three weeks. Luisa is indeed a pleasure to deal with.

I also pointed her over here to this thread. She said she'd check it out to get feedback on what she's doing.

And why didn't I google it before?

http://lisboacool.com/en/shop/chapelaria-daquino-classic-hats-with-modern-touch

https://pt-br.facebook.com/daquinolisbon

I'm really liking this hat on the lisboacool page, very Stevie Ray Vaughan :cool:
lisboa_cool_comprar_chapelaria_d_aquino-02.jpg
lisboa_cool_comprar_chapelaria_d_aquino-14.jpg

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Per Daniele's request, here are some naturally lit close-up shots of the Kyoto Special - front, side, trocar - unadorned by the hideous, misshapen head underneath (model name and editorial commentary are mine, not his)...

IMG_2251.jpg IMG_2250.jpg IMG_2249.jpg IMG_2247.jpg IMG_2246.jpg IMG_2245.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Enzo,
the Daquino hat is excellent.
The shape is more UE than US, but this is the European manner of interpreting a hat with large brims and a full crown.
The fur felt Fepsa is excellent (I know it well) and color is very interesting.
At the end a bargain for the price. Enjoy it in the Japanese gardens and give a chance to others UE hatters.

The Portuguese horse riding is fantastic.......

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Daniele - you put the right words to my feelings exactly. It does strike me as a European interpretation (to my novice eye it looks more French than Italian) of a classic American style. At first I was somewhat disappointed that the hat wasn't a more exact copy of the one I used as a model, but now I'm wondering if it's a better piece of craftsmanship for that stylistic license.

Now I just have to decide about that brim damage and what I want to do. Luisa has been more than responsive at every turn and she's willing to take whatever measures are necessary, but I hate the thought of this hat not being worn. I did manage to brush out some of it using the kettle, but not all.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails