Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone notice the "style" of.....

InspectorMorse

One of the Regulars
Anyone notice the splendid productions from the UK offered up as the Sunday night offerings on the Biography Channel???--- Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot gives us a good look at of 1920's style, Sherlock Holmes shows turn of the century presentation, and the contemporary images of Midsomer Mystery, Inspector Frost, and my namesake Inspector Morse all show an element of good taste on the modern screen!

Mycroft

One Too Many
InspectorMorse said:
Anyone notice the splendid productions from the UK offered up as the Sunday night offerings on the Biography Channel???--- Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot gives us a good look at of 1920's style, Sherlock Holmes shows turn of the century presentation, and the contemporary images of Midsomer Mystery, Inspector Frost, and my namesake Inspector Morse all show an element of good taste on the modern screen!

They are all amazing and so well done in everything, have you seen Island at War?

yachtsilverswan

Familiar Face
David Suchet's portrayal of Poirot is a favorite of mine. There is one small detail in his wardrobe that has puzzled me. Suchet's Poirot always wears a small silver vase as a lapel pin with some very small fresh flowers in the vase. I know Interwar and Post WWII men sometimes wore a flower on their lapel - but a vase? How common was this? And more broadly - when did men wear a flower?

Novella

Practically Family
I love Island at War! It makes me want to know more about the occupation of the Channel Islands.

I generally really enjoy British historical dramas, partially because the costumes are so fun to look at. Has anyone seen The Forsyte Saga? Both series one and two are great. It starts in the Victorian period and then ends in the 1920s and the clothes are amazing. Hmmm - Daniel Deronda is good too, although a bit out of the Fedora Lounge period.

Novella

Practically Family
Whoa - I can't believe I forgot about Horatio Hornblower! I'd love it if they'd make more, but after being in big budget movies, would Ioan Gruffudd come back for the role? The shows wouldn't be the same without him.

InspectorMorse

One of the Regulars
yachtsilverswan said:
David Suchet's portrayal of Poirot is a favorite of mine. There is one small detail in his wardrobe that has puzzled me. Suchet's Poirot always wears a small silver vase as a lapel pin with some very small fresh flowers in the vase. I know Interwar and Post WWII men sometimes wore a flower on their lapel - but a vase? How common was this? And more broadly - when did men wear a flower?

The lapel pin was given to Poirot by "the woman"...in an episode called "the Chocolate Box."

Novella

Practically Family
haha, yeah, that's true his big budget movie wasn't that successful. I don't know whether to be sad or glad that maybe it'll send him back to making some more costume productions.

I haven't read much on the possibility of more Hornblower films, but good to know that he at least sounds like he'd be interested.

farnham54

A-List Customer
Our friend Mr. Hornblower has had quite the Career in Hollywood, though you'd hardly know it!
Fantastic 4, Blackhawk Down, Titanic--after hearing Ioan was in those, I went back, and sure enough he has pretty significant roles in all of them!

He is a genuine Actor--Professional actor. Not a 'movie star'. I would say he'd do more Hornblower if the character interested him--which it does. We've yet to see Commodore or Admiral Hornblower!

Cheers
Craig

lenj said:
Speaking of the Channel Islands, anyone remember Bergerac?

Starred John Nettles and ran forever on the BBC.

lenj

Bergerac was great. My upbringing would not have been the same without it. Neither would my undergraduate education. They insisted on showing Bergerac right at the same time as my cell biology lecture in first year. In second year, when i had a lecture at the same time, the program was changed to Quincy. Third year was Columbo. Fourth year i was spending too much time in the library, but i believe they were showing Dallas.

Those Poirot lapel vases run to about $40. You can get some pretty gaudy ones and some rather nice simple ones. Most modern lapels are not strong enough to hold one without folding in strange, strange ways. Poirot's wardrobe is excellent. I watch it again and again - more for the show than the wardrobe, but the wardobe is a plus.

Anyone hear inspector morse on the radio? Works quite well ...

bk

shindeco

A-List Customer
InspectorMorse said:

Minor correction: Poirot is actually set in 1935-36. It's very well researched (wish I could have applied for THAT job!!) According to the "companion book", a lot of the clothes are vintage. Think they'll ever sell them off? [drifts off into a dream...]

Marty M.

Vendor
You're too tall.

shindeco said:
Minor correction: Poirot is actually set in 1935-36. It's very well researched (wish I could have applied for THAT job!!) According to the "companion book", a lot of the clothes are vintage. Think they'll ever sell them off? [drifts off into a dream...]

Sorry Shindeco, but you're too tall for Poirots clothes. However, Capt. Haistings clothes might be a little closer to your height.

Marty

InspectorMorse

One of the Regulars
Yes, John Thaw was great- obviously, I admired him and his work on the series as I picked my moniker as a tribute to him...I really miss his work...and cherish what he left us....BTW, I grew up on Christie and other British detective authors and I suppose they helped shape whatever level of style and taste I possess- Christie's work began in the 20's and for the most part is 30's-ish (thanks for the "adjustment.") It is all just wonderful work!

Mycroft

One Too Many
InspectorMorse said:
Yes, John Thaw was great- obviously, I admired him and his work on the series as I picked my moniker as a tribute to him...I really miss his work...and cherish what he left us....BTW, I grew up on Christie and other British detective authors and I suppose they helped shape whatever level of style and taste I possess- Christie's work began in the 20's and for the most part is 30's-ish (thanks for the "adjustment.") It is all just wonderful work!

Morse takes place in Oxford right, because I went to the hotel where the offical society meets?

Haversack

One Too Many
A good dramatization of Christie stories set in the 1920s is the _Partners in Crime_ series featuring James Warwick and Francesca Annis as Tommy and Tuppence Beresford.

Haversack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy