Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone own a 3/4-length FQHH

bobjones

A-List Customer
My new Aero Stockman FQHH is on its way, and indeed I am quite excited - who wouldn't be?

But as for the weight of the jacket, its 4 KG or about 8.8 lbs, and while I have owned cowhide/steerhide jackets before, I am not sure if any of them have clocked in at almost 9 lbs.

Does anyone own an Aero Cheyenne, Stockman, Veste De Rallye, or Lost World's Downtown Car Coat (a stunning coat - perhaps a 2009 purchase?)?

I remember someone posted pics of their LW Downtown in FQHH, but forgot who...

My question is how long does it take to get used to the weight of the coat? Is it uncomfortable at first, and a burden to wear all day to walk around in, if one is sightseeing, for instance?

tonypaj

Practically Family
bobjones said:
My new Aero Stockman FQHH is on its way, and indeed I am quite excited - who wouldn't be?

But as for the weight of the jacket, its 4 KG or about 8.8 lbs, and while I have owned cowhide/steerhide jackets before, I am not sure if any of them have clocked in at almost 9 lbs.

Does anyone own an Aero Cheyenne, Stockman, Veste De Rallye, or Lost World's Downtown Car Coat (a stunning coat - perhaps a 2009 purchase?)?

I remember someone posted pics of their LW Downtown in FQHH, but forgot who...

My question is how long does it take to get used to the weight of the coat? Is it uncomfortable at first, and a burden to wear all day to walk around in, if one is sightseeing, for instance?

They're heavy all right, my friends think I'm nuts wearing a jacket that weighs that much. I have no problems with the weight, I've worn mine walking around all day, Paris, Lyon, around here in Geneva, office, leisure, you name it. The only thing I think about really is that the jacket is warm, extremely warm (I've got the alpaca lining). So the weather has to be cool, wind is no worry, rain is no worry, but anything more than +10 centigrade is a worry...

bobjones

A-List Customer
tonypaj said:
They're heavy all right, my friends think I'm nuts wearing a jacket that weighs that much. I have no problems with the weight, I've worn mine walking around all day, Paris, Lyon, around here in Geneva, office, leisure, you name it. The only thing I think about really is that the jacket is warm, extremely warm (I've got the alpaca lining). So the weather has to be cool, wind is no worry, rain is no worry, but anything more than +10 centigrade is a worry...

Thanks for the info, I am glad to hear that. Aero's products are superbly crafted, but my other coats have been wool, a very light material in comparison to FQHH. I went with this hide as I was looking for a "signature" jacket, to last me until I am 6-feet under. I think I might be inheriting some jacket-disease from being here, as I have seen some other jackets that are also looking very nice...

Anyway, I am probably most concerned in the first 1-3 years of ownership, where the jacket is at its stiffest. As for the lining, I followed the sage advice of the FL experts here and went with a cotton lining, so I could always opt to layer a sweater on the coldest days if need be, but it wont be so hot to wear here in NYC as late as May.

BTW, which jacket do you have?

tonypaj

Practically Family
bobjones said:
Thanks for the info, I am glad to hear that. Aero's products are superbly crafted, but my other coats have been wool, a very light material in comparison to FQHH. I went with this hide as I was looking for a "signature" jacket, to last me until I am 6-feet under. I think I might be inheriting some jacket-disease from being here, as I have seen some other jackets that are also looking very nice...

Anyway, I am probably most concerned in the first 1-3 years of ownership, where the jacket is at its stiffest. As for the lining, I followed the sage advice of the FL experts here and went with a cotton lining, so I could always opt to layer a sweater on the coldest days if need be, but it wont be so hot to wear here in NYC as late as May.

BTW, which jacket do you have?

Barnstormer, weighs about 4.5-5 kg... Cotton lining is in my future, as well, I find the alpaca itchy. Most of the posters here disagree, but it's itchy to me. And the jacket will be stiff, but that does not bother me, either, after all it is a tough, quality outdoors jacket, not a Hermes... :)

bobjones

A-List Customer
tonypaj said:
Barnstormer, weighs about 4.5-5 kg... Cotton lining is in my future, as well, I find the alpaca itchy. Most of the posters here disagree, but it's itchy to me. And the jacket will be stiff, but that does not bother me, either, after all it is a tough, quality outdoors jacket, not a Hermes... :)

ROTFL, good one. We'll leave the Hermes "jacketeers" to their "rugged" 5th avenue strolling.

Interesting how your Barnstormer is heavier than the Stockman, which appears, at least to my eyes the longer coat. Maybe it's the additional accoutrements, like buckles, belts, etc, of the Barnstormer that make the difference in overall carry weight.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I've got a Hercules (see the Classifieds), which weighs in at around 4 kg. I don't have any problems with the weight of it.

But then again, I do have a gym habit, which means that the jacket is now too tight for me across the chest. So now I've got to order a new one, and I've finally decided on what I want, but am still swaying between Cordovan and Cherry. (Tony's Barnstormer looks lovely in cherry.)

So might I suggest that you take up an exercise regime Bob, to get yourself in shape for wearing your new Aero. Just don't overdo it, alright, otherwise you'll be ordering another one before too long.

PS The Barnstormer is a double breasted jacket, and the overlap will add more weight than the single breasted front on the Stockman.

PPS You'll have to post some pictures of your jacket when it arrives Bob.

bobjones

A-List Customer
Graemsay said:
I've got a Hercules (see the Classifieds), which weighs in at around 4 kg. I don't have any problems with the weight of it.

But then again, I do have a gym habit, which means that the jacket is now too tight for me across the chest. So now I've got to order a new one, and I've finally decided on what I want, but am still swaying between Cordovan and Cherry. (Tony's Barnstormer looks lovely in cherry.)

So might I suggest that you take up an exercise regime Bob, to get yourself in shape for wearing your new Aero. Just don't overdo it, alright, otherwise you'll be ordering another one before too long.

PS The Barnstormer is a double breasted jacket, and the overlap will add more weight than the single breasted front on the Stockman.

PPS You'll have to post some pictures of your jacket when it arrives Bob.

Excercise? I was told that it was highly over-rated - and I haven't seen the inside of a gym since 1992, so I am not sure if that would be the reason I increase in size...;)

You are right, I forgot it was double-breasted, even though it might be a bit shorter than the Stockman the extra material on the chest will probably make up for it. Indeed I will post pics, I expect to have it Wed/Thursday. The next 5 days I will need to find something to keep me occupied... :eusa_doh:

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
My Long Half Belt looks to be about as long as the Stockman, plus mine is 2" longer in the body and sleeves because I'm so tall.

Weight? Never an issue. It feels heavy when you pick it up (and everybody who picks it up comments on the weight), but I've worn it all day every day under lots of conditions and never gave it a thought. If anything, I think it actually gives me a sense of security, which is why I sometimes call it "my suit of armor". I love how heavy it is, but it never bothers me.

Same deal with my Highwayman.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
I've had the Aero Barnstormer in the standard Brown FQHH for just over a year, I went for the cotton drill rather than wool as it just never gets that cold for me in the UK to need that thick a lining. It's thick leather and very heavy, but hugely enjoyable to wear. I'm convinced it will outlive me, but hopefully it'll look broken in by the time I kick!

DSC01060_edited-1.jpg

bobjones

A-List Customer
DJS Press said:
My Long Half Belt looks to be about as long as the Stockman, plus mine is 2" longer in the body and sleeves because I'm so tall.

Weight? Never an issue. It feels heavy when you pick it up (and everybody who picks it up comments on the weight), but I've worn it all day every day under lots of conditions and never gave it a thought. If anything, I think it actually gives me a sense of security, which is why I sometimes call it "my suit of armor". I love how heavy it is, but it never bothers me.

Same deal with my Highwayman.

DJS, just out of curiousity, what is your height and weight?

MJCR, that coat is, in the local parlance, "smoking", and you might want to hide it in the attic next time I cross the pond, you may not have it for long...:D

MJCR

One of the Regulars
bobjones said:
MJCR, that coat is, in the local parlance, "smoking", and you might want to hide it in the attic next time I cross the pond, you may not have it for long...:D

Hi Bob - thanks for that! That was a picture from last year (or possibly late 2006!) and it's broken in a bit more since then. Hopefully it'll be too big for you (48" Regular), so I don't have to go to the bother of chaining it up!

The bad news is, I now want another one for warmer weather in their lighter seal brown A2 weight FQHH, without the belt and woollen inner cuffs.

Michael.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
bobjones said:
DJS, just out of curiousity, what is your height and weight?

Bob: I am 6'4" and vary between 225 and 230 lbs.

I wear a 46, and they added 2" to the length of the body and sleeves. I've never weighed my jacket. I just know it's heavy. In my mind, the average person wouldn't be put off so much by the weight of a FQHH jacket, but by the fact that it literally takes years to fully break one in (which we jacket guys think is a cool aspect). Somebody who wore lambskin jackets a lot might find it a bit intimidating, especially when it's fresh out of the box.

My year-old Highwayman is off to Tokyo tomorrow (I'm going with it.) I'm thinking it'll get a number of questions and comments, especially from my buddies who ride motorcycles.

It kills me to see so many nice old jackets for sale, but only one in 100 (if that) will ever fit me. Anybody have a great big jacket looking for a good home?

bobjones

A-List Customer

That might be a reason why the jacket doesn't feel so heavy to you, you are huge! An 8 lb jacket to you is 3.5% of your body weight, but almost 5% of mine (I am 5' 10 1/2" and 182 lbs).

I guess it is something to get used to, but on a day I am feeling lazy, I can wear the the US Wings Indy in goatskin I am considering buying...

In my mind, the average person wouldn't be put off so much by the weight of a FQHH jacket, but by the fact that it literally takes years to fully break one in (which we jacket guys think is a cool aspect). Somebody who wore lambskin jackets a lot might find it a bit intimidating, especially when it's fresh out of the box.

My biggest immediate concern is that it fits right (I have a pretty broad take on that though as I wear my clothes a bit looser than others might), then I can start the break-in process. I have already warned my wife that people have told me the best way to break one in is to sleep in it ;)

My year-old Highwayman is off to Tokyo tomorrow (I'm going with it.) I'm thinking it'll get a number of questions and comments, especially from my buddies who ride motorcycles.

Japan? Nihongo wakarimasu ka? Lucky man, I wish I could go, the dollar is incredibly weak right now...looks like a domestic trip for us this summer...

It kills me to see so many nice old jackets for sale, but only one in 100 (if that) will ever fit me. Anybody have a great big jacket looking for a good home?

Did you check out this one on sale at lost worlds:

http://www.lostworldsinc.com/LostWorldsSaleItems.htm

Graemsay

Practically Family
DJS Press said:

I'm a similar size and weight, and don't find any problems wearing an FQHH jacket. Nor did I have any problems when I was quite a bit lighter.

I don't think that you'll hae any problems with it Bob. The weight is distributed around your body, and you won't notice it. And if you do, there's always the classifieds, or (dare I say it) the gym. lol

DJS Press said:

By some coincidence, I do have a size 50 Aero Hercules, with an extra 2" added, up for sale:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=28881

Though it might be a bit big for you...

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
bobjones said:
That might be a reason why the jacket doesn't feel so heavy to you, you are huge! An 8 lb jacket to you is 3.5% of your body weight, but almost 5% of mine (I am 5' 10 1/2" and 182 lbs).

I guess it is something to get used to, but on a day I am feeling lazy, I can wear the the US Wings Indy in goatskin I am considering buying...

My biggest immediate concern is that it fits right (I have a pretty broad take on that though as I wear my clothes a bit looser than others might), then I can start the break-in process. I have already warned my wife that people have told me the best way to break one in is to sleep in it ;)

Japan? Nihongo wakarimasu ka? Lucky man, I wish I could go, the dollar is incredibly weak right now...looks like a domestic trip for us this summer...

Did you check out this one on sale at lost worlds:

http://www.lostworldsinc.com/LostWorldsSaleItems.htm

Yes, I'm a big guy, as in tall, not fat (okay, not rail-thin, either). But it's far easier to find clothing for the obese than the tall.

Wear your Stockman in the rain whenever you get a chance. It really helps with the break-in. And definitely do not treat it with anything (like Pecard's) afterwards.

I work for a Japanese company, so I go there about once or twice per year --as long as it's not summertime -- most people don't realize how brutally hot and humid Japan is in the summer. Right now is about the perfect time to go.

Two things about the Lost Worlds jackets on their sale page: 1) Those two jackets I think you're referring to (B3 and A2) are WAY too big, and 2) More than I want to spend. I want to pick up a nice vintage jacket for a hundred bucks (or two.)

bobjones

A-List Customer
DJS Press said:
Yes, I'm a big guy, as in tall, not fat (okay, not rail-thin, either). But it's far easier to find clothing for the obese than the tall.

Wear your Stockman in the rain whenever you get a chance. It really helps with the break-in. And definitely do not treat it with anything (like Pecard's) afterwards.

I work for a Japanese company, so I go there about once or twice per year --as long as it's not summertime -- most people don't realize how brutally hot and humid Japan is in the summer. Right now is about the perfect time to go.

Two things about the Lost Worlds jackets on their sale page: 1) Those two jackets I think you're referring to (B3 and A2) are WAY too big, and 2) More than I want to spend. I want to pick up a nice vintage jacket for a hundred bucks (or two.)

Hi DJS. Yes, that's what Will said, it can be worn in any weather, and can handle just anything thrown at it - rain, snow, etc and at 8 plus lbs, I would hope so ;)

I heard that about Japan, and that last year they tried to implement a policy during the summer months of increased thermostats in Tokyo office towers to save energy, and everyone was miserable.

As for LW, I didn't realize they might be too large, I mentioned them b/c I had recalled reading that Stu's sale page talked about good sale items for larger fits. But for that B3 at $ 1,500, even if $600 off its still alot of cash. My humble Aero was half that, but the LW Downtown might be in the cards next year, if biz goes well...:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21