Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arctic Parka Seal

persnick

Banned
I just saw the parka on Aero's site, and I love it! Does anyone have any info on it, or has anyone here bought one? The price isn't exactly great and since I have to deal with duties on top of that, I am reluctant to buy right away. Does anyone know of less expensive but still high quality alternatives. I'm starting to think I should move to the UK, I buy too much clothes from there already.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=197

Graemsay

Practically Family
I haven't seen the parka, but the Nigel Cabourn / Aero Sleeping Bag Jacket is similar, and is a gorgeous thing. It's on sale now, at a mere £2100 if you want to spend even more.

img.php

persnick

Banned
Oh my goodness!

Is it me or does it look a tad feminine in white...Do they have those in a brown? It is awfully expensive though.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Looks like something Robert Falcon Scott or Ernest Shackleton would have worn down at the South Pole :)

persnick

Banned
It has its charms, mostly because it is a little ugly.

One could ridicule flight jackets with the same ease--since I doubt one would use it in the cockpit.

AngryNJ

Familiar Face
I have always wanted a premium leather maker to make a jacket that I could get for my girlfriend. This could be modified easily for women in my opinion. Take in the waist etc... I wish aero or someone would make a nice leather trench for women.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Alpha Industries?? (I don't know anything about alpha industries)

The older Alpha Industries jackets I've bought have been great, mostly field jackets are what I have experience of. But about ten years ago they went a much more fashion route and some of the jackets I've seen in stores, particularly the leather ones, seems of poor quality, cheap feeling leather and odd fits. I guess if this is more of a heritage piece then it might be better made or at least you would hope.

persnick

Banned
The older Alpha Industries jackets I've bought have been great, mostly field jackets are what I have experience of. But about ten years ago they went a much more fashion route and some of the jackets I've seen in stores, particularly the leather ones, seems of poor quality, cheap feeling leather and odd fits. I guess if this is more of a heritage piece then it might be better made or at least you would hope.

Thank you for the caveat...I appreciate your advice

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Alpha's nylon flight jackets are still good. That is, they are better made than the el-cheapo knockoffs by Rothco, etc., that litter the market. (Alpha also has a budget line called Knox Armory that's closer to the Rothco level.)

Until a few years ago, they were a made-in-the-USA company, but that's no longer true. (That said, I got one of their current MA-1s last year and it's fine.) Chances are that things that aren't part of their main product line (which is essentially nylon and wool jackets) - like their leather jackets - are sourced from another maker and rebranded. But in general, they're a pretty legit maker.

http://www.alphaindustries.com/

persnick

Banned
Who do you think makes their parka? I would order the parka from Aero but it is expensive and the cost of duties and shipping make the cost a little too much for a novelty item

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I honestly don't know. I was really thinking more of their A-2, G-1, and leather MA-1 jackets - which are all pretty standard items - not the parka you're interested in.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The parka is a serious piece of kit by the way. There is a guy who owns one on the FL - if you check the Belstaff or Aero thread I started last year, there's a pic of him wearing it. I understand he was a lumberjack and wore the parka for work during winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot