Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

kaosharper1

One Too Many
ccajackson said:
Great photos - a wonderful looking Panama! Out of curiosity, how did it do in the 90 degree heat? I lived in Pasadena for a year, and recall some of those days! I'm looking into one or two Panamas, and want one of them to be on the cooler side for the wicked hot days (only 3 years in Boston, and I'm picking up the localisms!).

Cheers!

C-C

Funny, I moved here from Boston 2 years ago. It did well in the heat, but hot here is different than beantown. There's no humidity here so being in the shade, including wearing a hat, makes a big difference. In Boston it'll help but the humidity will still make you sweat.

You may want to go with one of those calada weaves with the ventilation pattern woven in to get more breathability. I think if I was still in Boston, that's what I'd do. Art does those as well.

Thanks to you and everyone else for the kind words on the hat. The credit is all Art's!

And CCAJackson, I had to get both a granite and a blue smoke for those brown vs. blue grey suits. Once you start its hard to stop.

Musashi

One of the Regulars
DO you guys, when waiting for your next VS masterpiece, find yourself reading this thread over and over out of sheer obsessiveness? or is that just me?

I'm also staring, repeatedly, at a picture in my email of a gorgeous black cherry body in progress... drool.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Musashi said:
DO you guys, when waiting for your next VS masterpiece, find yourself reading this thread over and over out of sheer obsessiveness? or is that just me?

I'm also staring, repeatedly, at a picture in my email of a gorgeous black cherry body in progress... drool.

YES we do! And, please post the pre-pic from the Master, so we can compare it to the final!

Thanks!

Musashi

One of the Regulars
daizawaguy said:
YES we do! And, please post the pre-pic from the Master, so we can compare it to the final!

Thanks!

I thought about it but I don't know how he feels about posting it yet. Has he ever gotten annoyed by anyone posting a pic of a pre-finished hat?

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Musashi said:
I thought about it but I don't know how he feels about posting it yet. Has he ever gotten annoyed by anyone posting a pic of a pre-finished hat?

I don`t believe that would be against any principles - did on mine, and never felt there was an issue...

Sunset-1.gif

Go on, let us feel what you`re feeling right now...:eek:

Musashi

One of the Regulars
daizawaguy said:
I don`t believe that would be against any principles - did on mine, and never felt there was an issue...
Go on, let us feel what you`re feeling right now...:eek:

Ok. I cave. :) Plus i do like to share the joy...

4749161688_d7f6ef6f78_o.jpg

Art says its 3-4 shades darker than oxblood but definitely not black.
Looks like its quite bright in the room, but the EXIF data on the photo says the flash did not fire. So I am of course still without any real idea what the color looks like in real life... but it looks great so far.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
This is actually pretty accurate Musashi. You know this already but for the others, I tripped over my camera charging cord on Monday, with camera attached of course, and had to buy a new camera yesterday. As with my old camera ( Canon) it seems to pic up ALL ambient light and distorts the true colors of the ribbons so it will take me a while to get the accuracy down. This is no flash and brightness toned down 4 notches to get it close. I'll figure this new fangled thing out...I hope

ccajackson

Familiar Face
kaosharper1 said:
Funny, I moved here from Boston 2 years ago. It did well in the heat, but hot here is different than beantown. There's no humidity here so being in the shade, including wearing a hat, makes a big difference. In Boston it'll help but the humidity will still make you sweat.

You may want to go with one of those calada weaves with the ventilation pattern woven in to get more breathability. I think if I was still in Boston, that's what I'd do. Art does those as well.

Thanks to you and everyone else for the kind words on the hat. The credit is all Art's!

And CCAJackson, I had to get both a granite and a blue smoke for those brown vs. blue grey suits. Once you start its hard to stop.

Sadly, I'm not as much a fan of the calada weave, so have been leaning toward the Cuenca Brisa or Fino Brisa for a little breathability.

Thanks for the advice on the grays - I think it makes perfect sense to have all bases covered, but others seem to have an unrealistic view on what is needed;). Certainly no one on this thread, though!

Cheers,
C-C

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Musashi said:

Wow, that is beautiful.

It also shows the process of hat making is really a manual job, done like in the past, and needs real skill. We too often take for granted the perfect end product shape, but that photo shows a nice progression from the felt cape to the final product. Bravo Art, and looking to see the end product Musashi!

What a fine color...

:eusa_clap

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Musashi said:

4749161688_d7f6ef6f78_o.jpg

Art says its 3-4 shades darker than oxblood but definitely not black.
Looks like its quite bright in the room, but the EXIF data on the photo says the flash did not fire. So I am of course still without any real idea what the color looks like in real life... but it looks great so far.

I'd call it "Pinot Noir with a drop of Cabernet"! What color band are you going for..or did you leave it up to Art?

DRB

One Too Many
I thought I would post this picture here as a record for one of Art's creations.

Here is a picture of my new VS from Art Fawcett. On my way to dinner at a local restaurant. Color of hat is Whiskey, 100% beaver.

June3020101525.jpg

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Great hat Sir. If I recall you have a dressier one on the way?

Let me guess...a shorter bound brim, more swoop around the brim front and back, tighter pinch...stronger contrast in the ribbon...

The great thing about each VS is that they are different and surprise!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace