Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
+1 on the fit. I am still amazed when I put on my works of Art how perfectly they fit and are shaped to my head.

dnjan

One Too Many
Thanks for the replies.

Presumably the block you mention is what he make the hat on and keeps for future hats.
The band block is for the bottom area - at the headband. It is about 1-1/4 inches thick, and is the shape of your head, as determined by the conformer that you fit to your head and send back to Art.

In my case, my head is what I refer to as a "diagonal oval". Plus some extra lumps here and there. Hat bodies (even the ones Art uses) will tend to revert back to their symmetrical oval shape over time (especially after rain or a very sweaty day). When I have a hat that has done that, the brim gets all wonky when I put the hat on. Periodic use of the band block I got from Art helps the hat remain in "my" shape. I always put the band block in after the hat gets wet (either rain or sweat).
Wife and I took a trip to Italy this past summer (read hot and plenty of opportunity to sweat), and I took the band block with me in my luggage. At the end of each day, the band block would go in the hat for overnight and the next day the hat always fit perfectly.

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
As an example of how well Art's hats fit, I was out walking today wearing my black cherry when all of a sudden there was an extremely strong gust of wind. The brim on my hat went crazy flapping up and down and yet my hat did not budge. And what's incredible is that in no way is the hat what you would call tight. It fits so well I often forget I'm wearing it. They are without doubt the most comfortable hats I own.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
As an example of how well Art's hats fit, I was out walking today wearing my black cherry when all of a sudden there was an extremely strong gust of wind. The brim on my hat went crazy flapping up and down and yet my hat did not budge. And what's incredible is that in no way is the hat what you would call tight. It fits so well I often forget I'm wearing it. They are without doubt the most comfortable hats I own.

++1 I have nothing to add to this ^^

Perfectly stated, Greg. In my opinion, the best part of a custom-made lid when a conformator is used is the perfect fit.

89quattro

One of the Regulars
Perfectly stated, Greg. In my opinion, the best part of a custom-made lid when a conformator is used is the perfect fit.

Dumb question from a newbee...does Art build hats larger than a size 8?

Last time I got measured was many years back at a Stetson retailer in NYC, and they told me I was an 8 1/2 long oval. I then proceeded with the obvious question, what was available in that size. The salesman laughed and suggested a stocking cap. I remember that the other salesman joined in the fun as I made a less than graceful exit.

Anyway, 35 years later, in an effort to obtain immediate satisfaction, I took the plunge and picked up a size 64 Stetson Temple from a reliable online retailer. Pleasantly surprised to find that it was almost a perfect fit. I was also surprised to find that the quality/workmanship was more on par with the hats vacationers might buy at Universal Studios. Ribbon was tacked to the brim with stitching that was very visible and looked like 8# test monofilament, and was not flush on the bottom with the brim.

I could go on, but that would be off topic for this thread. Bottom line...I will follow the advice of forum members and spend a bit more for a product that looks and works right by contacting Mr. Fawcett.

Wow, 89quattro; 8, or 9 might as well be your size. Get hold of Art! If he doesn't have the blocks there may be a couple of other custom hatters who can help. I wonder if Art's conformater is even large enough to get a good "read."

As to fitting a modern Stetson, well, they're known to size generously. If the 8 (64) worked, then you might do well to investigate some of their more recent upscaled offerings, (better than the temple) and then if need be, get a "hat jack" to nudge it up a touch more.

I see you're located in the United States. That's great, because in New York City, United States, you could visit stores that may stock the better lids in the size you need. As comedian Steve Wright says, "anywhere is within walking distance, if you have the time."

You may win the prize around here. You are only the second person I've ever met with a hat size larger than mine. My hat's off to you, sir!

tropicalbob

89Quattro -- that store wasn't on lower Broadway in N.Y., was it? The denizens of that town are not the most sensitive folk. Almost the exact same thing happened to me there. People turned to look, and I said,"Everybody get a good look at the Elephant Man?" Just remember: we're more intelligent (see Olav Stapledon's book, "Odd John."

89quattro

One of the Regulars
89Quattro -- that store wasn't on lower Broadway in N.Y., was it? The denizens of that town are not the most sensitive folk. Almost the exact same thing happened to me there. People turned to look, and I said,"Everybody get a good look at the Elephant Man?" Just remember: we're more intelligent (see Olav Stapledon's book, "Odd John."

Nope, it was a long time back, and I seem to remember it being near 42nd Street and B'way, close to the old Herman's Sporting Goods store. What I don't forget was the expression on the salesman's face...clear as day.

Oh well. life goes on. Time to do the right thing, will check in with the master for guidance.

Really enjoy this forum, great crew with lots of good information.

Welcome again, 89quattro, and please post a picture or so when you get your lid. The quest will be easier now than then. Have fun, and Good luck!

Last time I got measured was many years back at a Stetson retailer in NYC, and they told me I was an 8 1/2 long oval. I then proceeded with the obvious question, what was available in that size. The salesman laughed and suggested a stocking cap. I remember that the other salesman joined in the fun as I made a less than graceful exit.

Anyway, 35 years later, in an effort to obtain immediate satisfaction, I took the plunge and picked up a size 64 Stetson Temple from a reliable online retailer. Pleasantly surprised to find that it was almost a perfect fit. I was also surprised to find that the quality/workmanship was more on par with the hats vacationers might buy at Universal Studios. Ribbon was tacked to the brim with stitching that was very visible and looked like 8# test monofilament, and was not flush on the bottom with the brim. ...

Wow. I wouldn't fault a retailer for not having in stock a wide selection of hats in sizes larger than 8. After all, he can't tie up much space (and money) with merchandise unlikely to sell. But a hat retailer should be much more willing to find some way of accommodating our larger-headed brethren. Such hats are available, perhaps not instantly, but they can be had.

Interesting observation re: Stetson Temple. For a recent arrival to this joint, you have a good sense of what to look for in a hat.

Custom hatters have ways of making their equipment do double duty. Back before all but the most senior of us were born, when there were hatters' shops pretty much everywhere, a hatter could order a block or flange from any of a dozen or more suppliers, and get that equipment at a reasonable cost. Not so these days. So you make do. A block can be made larger by stretching a beater hat body over top of it and cutting off the brim. Voila -- a size 8 block is now an 8 1/8, or maybe an 8 1/4.

tropicalbob

Tonyb -- in a similar vein, I just received a hat from Bruce at Holland Hats. He apparently knew that the hat I was ordering might run a bit small and suggested he put it on the block for a few days to make sure of the fit. When I got it, it was perfect. What impressed me was that he did this on his own and for a heavily discounted hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred