Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Artwork Featuring Hats

In 1932 the three largest Hatters; Cavanagh, Dunlap and Knox merged to become the Hat Corporation of America (known as Hat-Co.) A company led by John Cavanagh. Cavanagh went to work for William A. Brown hatters of Norwalk at the age of 17. In 1880 he began working for Crofut & Knapp, where he was mentored by James H. Knapp. By 1907, Cavanagh was vice-president of Crofut & Knapp, and from 1923 to 1937, he was president of the company.

In 1928 Cavanagh created the company of Cavanagh-Dobbs Inc., which included his own hat label, Cavanagh Hats, and a retail outlet in New York City, John Cavanagh Ltd. In 1932, he founded the Hat Corporation of America, merging his brands with Knox & Dunlap.

I thought Hat Corporation of America and Hat-Co were different companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Artist unknown.

IMG_7379.JPG

IMG_7378.JPG

IMG_7381.JPG

...or when eating or drinking alone. Agreed. I remember a "clause" too about dining side by side rather than facing one another.

There is a photo that has been posted on here more than a few times (probably in Non-Shorpy) of a diner in Texas with a lunch counter down one side, and a row of tables against the was on the other. Everybody at the counter is wearing their hat, and everybody at a table has their hat hung on a hook on the wall next to the table. I didn't know about the alone thing.

Then here is a picture of McSorley's Ale House from the 1930s. It didn't matter too much to them.

mcsorleysbereniceabbott.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Watercolors?
It didn't say, we had some friends call by this morning, they've booked a few days in the South of France later in the year and are getting there on the famous train. They had remembered seeing our photos from our own Orient Express adventure, I copied the website from my friend's phone to my lap top, noted the artist and simply cut and pasted the pictures. You do have an eye for detail though, they certainly do look like watercolours. The talent that some people have!

It didn't say, we had some friends call by this morning, they've booked a few days in the South of France later in the year and are getting there on the famous train. They had remembered seeing our photos from our own Orient Express adventure, I copied the website from my friend's phone to my lap top, noted the artist and simply cut and pasted the pictures. You do have an eye for detail though, they certainly do look like watercolours. The talent that some people have!

Interestingly enough, I Googled Jack Birns. According to Wikipedia, he was an American Photographer, no mention of painting or other mediums. Although he did also have a commercial diving company.

It's Albert Brenet, not Jack Birns.

https://www.google.com/search?q=a.+...Uoc98KHQJtBEUQ_AUoAnoECBEQBA&biw=1920&bih=923

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Interestingly enough, I Googled Jack Birns. According to Wikipedia, he was an American Photographer, no mention of painting or other mediums. Although he did also have a commercial diving company.
Jack Birns was definitely credited with "the artwork." What struck me was the spelling of Birns. It is mostly spelt Burns, and occasionally spelt Byrnes, but I have never seen it spelt Birns, that's how I know, remember and credited the paintings to him. After seeing your detective work, and without the ambiguous Wikipedia, I speculated that perhaps Birns did some fine photography of the scenes depicted then along came Albert Brenet, who was inspired by Birns' work.

Have to say, that was a fine piece of sleuthing on your part, you should set up an alternative Wiki, at least we could trust your information. I'm seriously impressed.

Jack Birns was definitely credited with "the artwork." What struck me was the spelling of Birns. It is mostly spelt Burns, and occasionally spelt Byrnes, but I have never seen it spelt Birns, that's how I know, remember and credited the paintings to him. After seeing your detective work, and without the ambiguous Wikipedia, I speculated that perhaps Birns did some fine photography of the scenes depicted then along came Albert Brenet, who was inspired by Birns' work.

Have to say, that was a fine piece of sleuthing on your part, you should set up an alternative Wiki, at least we could trust your information. I'm seriously impressed.

No sleuthing, really. I just zoomed in on the artist's signature at the bottom of the second piece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk