Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Artwork Featuring Hats

I really enjoy his work, HJ. First time I’ve seen the studio pic. Some fine pieces hanging behind and scattered about him. Spending time looking. Thanks for posting.
Has someone posted up Dixon's work before? I forget what has been posted, I guess I need to go back thru the thread & keep a running list so as not to post dups.

His studio was in San Francisco. I like that pic too, & often wonder what happened to all the artifacts on the walls when he died.

Frank Tenney Johnson (1874 - 1939)
Known for paintings set at twilight

Beneath the Western Moon , 1934
IMG_9004.JPG

IMG_9005.JPG

IMG_9006.JPG

A Light in the Night , 1936
IMG_9007.JPG

IMG_9008.JPG

A Sioux Chieftain
IMG_9009.JPG

The Man Hunter
IMG_9053.JPG

And the man himself

IMG_9051.JPG

IMG_9052.JPG

"The Mysterious Sniper On Sharpshooter's Ridge"
Painting by Bob Boze Bell

IMG_8822.JPG

The longest living survivor of Custer's 7th Cavalry, Sgt Charles Windolph (1851 - 1950) was one of the 120 men under Captain Benteen who took up position below high ground to aid the 60 wounded survivors of Major Reno's troops. In his debriefing & historical interviews Windolph always maintained they were being picked off by a sharpshooter from above. At least one of his comrades was headshot. The butt stock of Windolph's rifle was hit by a bullet & splintered. For his actions Windolph was awarded the Medal of Honor. The high ground has become known as Sharpshooter's Ridge, & more recent evidence indicates there may have been as many as three shooters positioned there. Their identities & tribe affiliations remain anonymous to this day.

IMG_8984.JPG

IMG_8830.JPG

IMG_8831.JPG

June 26th will mark the 144th anniversary of the battle.

Last edited:
"The Mysterious Sniper On Sharpshooter's Ridge"
Painting by Bob Boze Bell

View attachment 237132

The longest living survivor of Custer's 7th Cavalry, Sgt Charles Windolph (1851 - 1950) was one of the 120 men under Captain Benteen who took up position below high ground to aid the 60 wounded survivors of Major Reno's troops. In his debriefing & historical interviews Windolph always maintained they were being picked off by a sharpshooter from above. At least one of his comrades was headshot. The butt stock of Windolph's rifle was hit by a bullet & splintered. For his actions Windolph was awarded the Medal of Honor. The high ground has become known as Sharpshooter's Ridge, & more recent evidence indicates there may have been as many as three shooters positioned there. Their identities & tribe affiliations remain anonymous to this day.

View attachment 237133

View attachment 237134

June 26th will mark the 144th anniversary of the battle.

Great painting and history, HJ.

Great painting and history, HJ.
It was always believed that all the Indians were fighting guerrilla style with repeating rifles. Windolph told differently. It was only in the last 10-15 yrs when a range fire set off by lightening uncovered evidence that changed the official view on exactly how things happened.

All the red color really sets the mood in the painting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points