Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lola Valentine said:
Seeing as you ladies all know so much about hair, maybe you can help me.

How do I get hair like this?

stps2.jpg

I'm rubbish with styling my hair, & when I went to my hairdressers they looked at me as if I had two heads & told me they'd never seen a pincurl done in their lives [huh] Anyway, would it be pincurls that needed to be done to get this look?
First, make sure you are going to licenced beauty operators. Obviously I don't know the laws in Scotland but in the U.S. they have to be licenced although some 'stylists' ARE NOT. The legitimate ones have a document hanging on the wall with their name and picture. They have to pass tests on all kinds of beauty procedures. I thought learning pincurls were required but I'm often misinformed.
Next, if you find a good stylist, bring in a picture. Bring in THAT picture. I had my hair cut and styled today using a similar picture that was in the salon's book of hairstyles. Good stylists LOVE pictures.
Third, I don't know: but if you're ever in my city call me and I will treat you to a style done by my stylist, she is great!
Ashley

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Rainbow said:
Can anyone tell me if you can sleep in the double-pronged "Klippies"?

Of course! If you can sleep i sponge rollers, you can sleep in pincurl clips. Just be sure to tie your hair up with a scarf (I use a heavy duty hairnet and then a chiffon scarf) to keep everything in place!

anabolina

A-List Customer
Lola Valentine said:
Seeing as you ladies all know so much about hair, maybe you can help me.

How do I get hair like this?

stps2.jpg

I'm rubbish with styling my hair, & when I went to my hairdressers they looked at me as if I had two heads & told me they'd never seen a pincurl done in their lives [huh] Anyway, would it be pincurls that needed to be done to get this look?

Wow, I love the hair on that model. Good luck on it.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Barrel curls anyone?

I tried to do pin curls and I could never get the hang of it. So I made some rag curlers and those made my hair super frizzy. So then I bought some brush rollers, and those pulled out my hair and were uncomfortable to sleep in. So I got some sponge rollers but my curls would turn out ‘scrunchy’; they were not smooth and natural looking. Aaargh!
Recently I started experimenting with ‘barrel curls’. They are similar to pin curls except that the curl is pinned upright on the scalp. They should all look like little barrels. They are super easy and quick. I can do them myself and I’ve never cursed doing them :eek: . The only downside is that you can’t sleep in them. I usually put the barrel curls in my hair and make the front look nice. Sometimes I make two barrel curls that look like victory rolls. Then I put a snood or do-rag over the back and I’m good to go.
The results I’ve had from setting my hair like this have been the best so far. My curls are the perfect size and they are smooth and natural looking. They comb out nicely and when I brush them out I get superb waves. My hair can hold a curl very well so I don’t use any products, just water.
I am working on getting some pictures. I may have to post them on My Space.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Ellie said:
MarieAnne- How do you roll the barrel curls? Can you provide a more in-depth explanation? Thanks so much.

When I do mine, I roll them the same way as if I were doing waves or any other regular set - with pillow rollers. I just use fewer, larger sections, then gently brush them out and pin them under.

1332163015_l.jpg

200610232.jpg

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I've been using the handle of an old makeup brush. I roll my hair around it, like I would with a regular curler. But then I slide the curl off and pin it. You could probably use a cold curling iron too.
There is actually a picture on this site that looks similar to what I have been doing:
http://revampvintage.com/images/hair-30s-brushcurl.jpg

Kitty- I like the way you put your hair up. How long is your hair?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MarieAnne said:
Kitty- I like the way you put your hair up. How long is your hair?

Thanks, MarieAnne! My hair right now is just a squidge past chin-length, with my bangs falling just above my brows. When that photo was taken, it was just a bit shorter, but not cut in layers yet. I also had the underside shaved and was trying to grow it out - hence the bandana to hide the underside, which was still too short to curl :)

GreyAndWhiteCat

Familiar Face
Pin curls invade my sleep

I dreamed about pin curls. I've had the bottle of setting lotion and the bobin pines for months now. I put them one my bathroom counter yesterday to see if I could work up the courage to try, but no.
I woke up this morning after a very long dream all about me trying to put my hair into pin curls. I almost made it, but it went wrong just before I was going to do the las four :(
Seems like I just have to do them now, or I will not get peace :)

missmelly

One of the Regulars
I tried pincurls this weekend and they turned out alright. A little too frizzy when I brushed them out. To achieve a nice uniform curl on every curl, I use the wooden clothespin; the old-fashion kind that you now find in craft stores to make reindeer ornaments out of. The clothespin worked okay. I've just resigned to the fact that pincurls are hard to do no matter what. I'm going to try finger waves this weekend. What we do for beauty...
.:Miss Melly:.;)

Hepcatkitten

New in Town
Pincurls one-handed?

I found some of the old-fashioned clothespins today and some Lottabody and attempted to do pincurls this afternoon, but just gave up. I know it is a process you have to work at, but I just don't know.

I was wondering if there is ever a way to do pincurls one-handed? Can any of you experienced-pincurl gals do them one-handed?

I am a hair-tard anyway. I can't even do rollers or anything because my righthand is weak, so it is kind of a bummer. I just wondered if I could ever get good enough or find a way to do it with one hand.

By the way, I'm new. Have been lurking a few days and this site is such an inspiration with all you beautiful ladies! :) I feel like I've found my kind of people who feel exactly how I do about vintage and the past.

:)

Lacy

texasgirl

One Too Many
When I was in cosmetology school, we always permed the hair on the mannequin heads before we practiced our pin curls. I think that made it a lot easier. So if you really want to commit to curls, you might think about getting a perm.

Hepcatkitten

New in Town
texasgirl said:
When I was in cosmetology school, we always permed the hair on the mannequin heads before we practiced our pin curls. I think that made it a lot easier. So if you really want to commit to curls, you might think about getting a perm.

Thank you! :) It is definitely a consideration. :)

Blondie

Practically Family
Just found this info on a website,
wondered if anyone uses this method ???

A slightly different but easier way to make pin curls is to section off a strand of hair and wrap it in tin foil. The foil doesn't have to be perfectly wrapped around the strand. You can simply scrunch it into place. Now roll the foil up towards the scalp. Bobby pin into place. It takes a little longer for the foil wrapped sections to dry but they take much less time to put into place.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Blondie said:
Just found this info on a website,
wondered if anyone uses this method ???

A slightly different but easier way to make pin curls is to section off a strand of hair and wrap it in tin foil. The foil doesn't have to be perfectly wrapped around the strand. You can simply scrunch it into place. Now roll the foil up towards the scalp. Bobby pin into place. It takes a little longer for the foil wrapped sections to dry but they take much less time to put into place.

Alternately, you can just use end wraps and use a stick (I use a sharpie marker) to roll the curls from the ends up, pinning into place. This also takes a lot less time. My hair would never dry if I used foil! it seems like the foil would also add a lot of extra bulk on your head.

Blondie

Practically Family
i wondered how the heck it would dry,
plus imagine what would happen if you blasted your head with a hair dryer,
one fried hair-do , or rather hair-don't ! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff