Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As Seen On TV (those gadgets you love to hate)

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
I have to confess, I am addicted to infomercials...you know the kind.. the ones that have that new invention that you can't live without and will make your life easier?

I have fallen prey to their marketing on occasion. But honestly, the gadgets I purchased have met or exceeded the claims made on the infomercial.

My personal favorite is The Bullet. I have used this contraption on a weekly basis since purchasing it 4 years ago.

I also just bought a Ped Egg. (used for Pedicures and other rough bits) and I have to say, it does work as well as the commercial claims.

What are some of the "As Seen on TV" gadgets that you have bought? Have they worked as well as they claimed it would? What are the ones you bought and have failed.... and of course what infomercials could you just do without?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
desi_de_lu_lu said:
IWhat are some of the "As Seen on TV" gadgets that you have bought? Have they worked as well as they claimed it would? What are the ones you bought and have failed.... and of course what infomercials could you just do without?

I had a Smart Clapper years ago that would turn things on and off if I turned the music up a little too loud.

I've got a torso-trac that my mother in law bought for herself quite a while ago- and never used. It works very well on my lower abs, where crunches don't do much.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Lefty said:
I had a Smart Clapper years ago that would turn things on and off if I turned the music up a little too loud.

I've got a torso-trac that my mother in law bought for herself quite a while ago- and never used. It works very well on my lower abs, where crunches don't do much.

I would love to have a clapper. Just for the sheer amusement! LOL

I forgot I have a torso-trac underneath my guest room bed! :eek: LOL Must pull that out!

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I always watch the Time Life music ones and then just download them. Same for the workout dvds. shhh ;)

I do really want to get a Ronco though....

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:eusa_clap I got my mom a Listen Up and it works great.
:eusa_clap Caruso Molecular Steam Hairsetter. I got it 19 years ago and it's the best, I don't know why I ever try anything else like
shakeshead Conair Infiniti. THIS STINKS!!!! It was a very long commercial, not really an infomercial, but still. PIECE OF EXPENSIVE GARBAGE :rage: :rage: :rage: , even though I had a huge free gift certificate from Amazon, I could've used it for many films noir. Useless as a hairdryer unless you like the frizzy look and like spending a long time to acheive it, and even more worthless as a hair smoother.
:eusa_clap I love Space Bags!!!! How else could I fit all of my vintage clothing collection in my house even though I have 4 bedrooms?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My hair was very thick, long, coarse and not color-treated at the time and there was a lot of hairs on my head, as all my hairdressers tell me. It was the quickest and best way to do my hair. The trick is to shake and tap the excess water off of each curler before placing it.
I see them in good condition at thrift stores, and the curlers come apart and are washable if you want to try 'em cheap.

Foofoogal

Banned
We bought a clapper and could never get it to work. Must of been a dud.
I have wanted to try the space bags since I have no more space. lol

RIOT

Practically Family
I always wanted the folding ladder thing, but can never remember what it was called or was quick enough to catch the infomercial when it was on back when. I did buy a 1:18 scale '41 Willys Hot Rod once.. piece of crap.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Somebody once gave my grandmother a Ronco Veg-O-Matic, the *original* 1960s TV-marketed kitchen gizmo -- it slices, it dices, with just a gentle push. Basically it was just a spring-loaded plastic plunger on top of a pair of interlocking metal frames strung with wire cutting blades. And the one time my grandmother tried to use it, she put a ripe tomato in place, pushed down the plunger, and rather than cutting the tomato, squooshed it into a disgusting pulpy mess. Some fun!

Slim Portly

One Too Many
The FoodSaver V2680. I received it as a gift and now I use it every day. I store my coffee beans in a vacuum sealed canister, I reseal bags of frozen veggies, or soft or fragile things like chips and bread (thanks to the no-crush Pulse feature), I refrigerate extra servings of meals that I prepare, and it even folds up out of the way when I'm not using it. It's great for a quick marinade and it makes my pan fried spicy tofu with ginger, soy sauce, and chili oil even better. It cuts and seals bags to any size, and the bags can be washed and reused. I wouldn't call it indispensable, but it's really nice to have in the kitchen.

20286_285.jpg

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
sixsexsix said:
I do really want to get a Ronco though....

I got the Ronco Showtime Rotisserie........Set it and Forget it lol Needless to say my mom has inherited the thing. I'm convinced all the food is prepped before hand, cooked juicy and tender the old fashioned way and then 5 minutes before the infomercial starts placed in the rotisserie with the juices squeezed on the outside so it looks like it's been cooking all along. Trust me it doesn't come out looking like a golden chicken with the juice dripping off the bone. Now roasts I have had success with those!

I have gone back to my trusty slow cooker and roaster lol lol lol

sixsexsix

Practically Family
you just saved me some money!

cassylynn said:
I got the Ronco Showtime Rotisserie........Set it and Forget it lol Needless to say my mom has inherited the thing. I'm convinced all the food is prepped before hand, cooked juicy and tender the old fashioned way and then 5 minutes before the infomercial starts placed in the rotisserie with the juices squeezed on the outside so it looks like it's been cooking all along. Trust me it doesn't come out looking like a golden chicken with the juice dripping off the bone. Now roasts I have had success with those!

I have gone back to my trusty slow cooker and roaster lol lol lol

sixsexsix

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic: this sounds SO delicious!

Slim Portly said:
It's great for a quick marinade and it makes my pan fried spicy tofu with ginger, soy sauce, and chili oil even better.
20286_285.jpg

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Does anyone else do this?

I will watch the *entire* infomercial/commercial just to find out what they will throw in "free" as an "extra bonus" for calling within the next 30 minutes.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
sixsexsix said:
Does anyone else do this?

I will watch the *entire* infomercial/commercial just to find out what they will throw in "free" as an "extra bonus" for calling within the next 30 minutes.

:whistling *raises hand*

miss_elise

Practically Family
i once stayed up all night, when coming down from a theatre performance watch some pot, that you could put all the food in, put it on the stove to heat up - until the dot turned red or something...and then turn it off and it would cook... you could even leave it in the fridge and it would still cook...

at that time, it seemed like the most important thing in the world...

my husband bought some mirakle blades off late night tv. they are pretty good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80