Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As Seen On TV (those gadgets you love to hate)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Not available in any stores..." Right...almost anything you see on those commercials you can find all over the place, not just the As Seen on TV Store.

The ones I love are the "guaranteed for life!" items where they send you two of so you have a spare. Years ago, the "lifetime" triple-edge windshield wipers that for just paying shipping and handling, you could get a pair of replacement blades refills if you called in the next 10 minutes or something. If they're lifetime...why do they have refills?

And I'm thinking there's been some sort of legal action, because I noticed the other day, they're saying "shipping and processing" instead of handling. The whole deal on those companies is they make all the money on the shipping & handling.

The one that I want to shoot the TV every time it comes on - the ShamWow geek!

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:
The one that I want to shoot the TV every time it comes on - the ShamWow geek!

Agreed, I can't stand that guy! At first I thought it was a joke commercial, but after seeing it repeatedly I have realized it is not

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Oh, wait...is that the shammy cloth thing? hmm...I don't think I have seen that one.

Watch a little late night TV and you no doubt will. Yep, it's a synthetic shammy "made in Germany so you know it's good" and this moron's up there with one of those headset microphones like he's hawking the stuff at a carnival. Wait - I knew there had to be a website... but the full commercial's so much better (worse?) with the moronic harpies who wouldn't know how to wipe up a spill without their Shamwows

Murph351

One of the Regulars
As kids my brother and I hounded my Mom for one of these:
mvc-224s.jpg

The Popeil Pocket Fisherman (anyone remember these?)

Pocket_Fisherman_2.jpg

Turns out it worked pretty good:D

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Wasn't the pocket fisherman one of the very first infomercials?
I remember seeing that one quite a bit when I was a kid.
It seemed like a joke; why would you need something to do your fishing for you, when there's so little to do when you're fishing. The "fisherman" was always shown eating, napping, or setting multiple lines.

I guess Ron was ahead of his time. He sort of invented multi-tasking. ;)

epr25

Practically Family
I was a swimmer in high school and was never without one of these.They are amazing. They really work. You can actually buy them in the car washing section.

desi_de_lu_lu said:
Oh, wait...is that the shammy cloth thing? hmm...I don't think I have seen that one.

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
It seemed like a joke; why would you need something to do your fishing for you, when there's so little to do when you're fishing. The "fisherman" was always shown eating, napping, or setting multiple lines.

You can still buy the Pocket Fisherman along with a bunch of Ron's stuff at his family store website:
http://www.popeilfamilystore.com/roncoproducts.html

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:

I don't know abot infomercials, but I remember regular television commercials for a little device with a slightly bent needle that you shoved into one end of an egg and then turned on to scramble said egg inside its unbroken shell. I always wanted one. :D

jayem

A-List Customer
I have the Ped-Egg. Works pretty good, but it doesn't really keep the dead skin shavings in the container too well.

Other than that, I've never really about anything off an infomercial. No reason too.

PS

A-List Customer
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Really? that is too bad.. I will tell you though, I had to push down on it and kind of scrub. (and go over the same spot a few times) but it seemed to shave off the dry rough skin in micro slices.

Of course, your feet are probably like daffodills compared to my rough summer Arizona feet. Seriously, after I moved here from New York my feet became like velcro.

Try it after a bath. The first time I used it I was not at all impressed but I tried it once before a bath and after. Perfect! I took off enough superficial rough skin that after a soak the rest just fell away with the ped egg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart