Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ascots

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alon said:
A much more exciting knot is the Prince Albert, featured on Lord Whimsy's site in the tutorial section.

Thank you for informing everyone I do not post exciting material and to go elsewhere on the Lounge. :eek: lol :D

Vintage Betty

BellyTank said:
Whoa Betty...
It's nothing about you....

Thanks for posting that tidbit.

You don't read French, huh?
Maybe that's what the pictures are for...;)

B
T

Well, the lovely women's fashion magazines don't usually offer alternative tying options for neckwear. And you're welcome! Nope, but I can usually figure out the text or use babelfish for an interesting translation. :p

G'night.

Vintage Betty

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Ascots hand made by Kaczián, Budapest

Como silk - processed in Budapest. They are in the biz since 1957.
IMG_2888.jpg

She works for reasonable prices but has a limited availability of materials
IMG_2889.jpg

and matching silk pocket squares....
IMG_2893.jpg

Cold tones...
IMG_2892.jpg

I collected them for a few years- it is always fun to see her new creations each autumn. These are small series; hand-made, nice quality IMHO.
If you are in Budapest look and see: http://www.caboodle.hu/nc/directori...aczian_nyakkendo_szakuezlet/?cHash=8639dbee85

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
hello Ladies & Gents,

This is a great post! Great to see so many devotees of the cravat or ascot. I am a fan myself but don't wear one that often. Would like to wear one more often and have seen a few around every now and then. This post is theinspiration I need. Sadly the reactions are not always as positive here as more formal dress is seen more like something you are forced into. Heaven forbid you actually choose to wear a tie or cravat.

Thanks for the inspiration

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Today's office attire: brown three-piece suit and bowler, rust dress shirt and complementary rust jacquard cravat, gold knot tie pin and matching cuff links, brown satin braces, brown leather shoes, patterned socks, gold watch chain with cigar cutter fob, white cotton pocket square. Cheers.

DSC04080-CROP.jpg

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Slim Portly said:
Today's office attire: brown three-piece suit and bowler, rust dress shirt and complementary rust jacquard cravat, gold knot tie pin and matching cuff links, brown satin braces, brown leather shoes, patterned socks, gold watch chain with cigar cutter fob, white cotton pocket square. Cheers.

/QUOTE]

Looking Fantatstic!!
RBH

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
HungaryTom said:
Spitfire,

It looks great on you. Where did you get it?

How do you fold it?

Best:

Tom

Thanks mates.

Tom: It's a pretty large square silke scarf from Italy. My wife bought it for me.
Folding it is quite simple.
First from corner to corner making it into a triangle.
Then I just fold it in rather broad folds from the top of the triangle.
The silk itself is rather thick, so it holds up beautifully with just a single knot and some "puffing around" to spread it out.. Piece of cake...;)

Mike in Seattle

General question / clarification - there's always confusion on what's a cravat and what's an Ascot...and the US calls it one and Europe calls it another. Slim Portly's photo brought it to mind again. Would it be safe to say that the Ascot is worn under an open-necked shirt and a cravat is worn on top and under the collar?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The UK and Commonwealth nations call it a cravat, the Americans, an ascot. However in the former nations there is a differentiation between a day cravat and a formal cravat. The day cravat is worn under the shirt and tends to be less stiff silk/material. The formal cravat is generally stiffer and is worn over the shirt, often with morning suit and with a pin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24