Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ascots

Edward

Bartender
I have, I think at last count, a little over a dozen cravats. Most of mine were purchased via eBay, though I also picked up some at one of the vintage fairs in Chelsea Town Hall last year at #4 a pop (some of my favourites, actually). A tip is if you're looking on eBay to hunt for them under 60s stuff, and "mod" - for some reason, most ebay sellers seem to think the likes of Paul Weller invented the cravat. [huh] FWIW, I have also seem some nice, plain-colour silk numbers in Tie Rack, which could be worth looknig into. Ex-wedding hire can be a good find, especially if you want to wear it more formally as a neck tie over the shirt. You just need to be careful here that they understand that you are looking for a real cravat rather than one of those ghastly pre-tied confections with the clip on band (similar to a clip-on bow tie - in every sense). You'd be surprised how many folks think that's what a cravat is... and don't even get me started on what they call a "scrunchie tie"...

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Thanks for the Tip Carter I just won( 2 mins ago) These 3 cravats for $37.00 on EBAY, the seller is here in Australia, which makes it all so much easier and the sooner I get to swan around in em looking "High Hat"

219643640_tp.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Why would anyone want a pre-tied cravat? Even an idiot should know how to tie a necktie, and a cravat is like an incomplete necketie (with the knot I use). I can maybe understand a clip on bowtie but a clip on cravat???

Edward

Bartender
avedwards said:
Why would anyone want a pre-tied cravat? Even an idiot should know how to tie a necktie, and a cravat is like an incomplete necketie (with the knot I use). I can maybe understand a clip on bowtie but a clip on cravat???

I think it has to do with that becoming th default norm from hire shops, with the result that people simply assume that's what they are. Friends of mine went to someone to have some run up to match the bridesmaids' dresses; they asked for "cravats" and they were presente with these pre-tied things... I know some sort of (especially formal wear) accessories are things that some folks will wear maybe only once in theirf lives, but you'd think it's such a simple thing to get right..... Then again, maybe it's the hired shops at fault. I'll never forget seeing a documentary on a school prom in England, where at leastg oned ofv thed kids showed up in full morning dress. Whoever hired that out forf an evening event should be shot.

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
Thank you, Lionheart.
Got me wondering how many cravats I really had. So here's the current stock.

cravatdisplay001.jpg

Not THAT many, come to think of it...;)

Yeah, but you have a great selection of colors in there. I like the light blue one towards the right.

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Love your selection of cravats. You are correct however...not really that many! You need to keep adding to the collection. At one time I had 75+! (yeah, I know...a "wee bit" excessive!) but now down to about 60! I believe Lionheart and I would encourage to keep that collection growing my friend!
Spitfire said:
Thank you, Lionheart.
Got me wondering how many cravats I really had. So here's the current stock.

cravatdisplay001.jpg

Not THAT many, come to think of it...;)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The burgundy w. small dots, the bright yellow with small dots and the light blue with French lillies are the new ones from Roma.
You are right, gents. I must get some more.:D

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
21Tt1HQw3ML._SL500_AA142_.jpg

great guide to the "English Gent Style" even covers smoking jackets!!!!!

This is indeed a great book, if anyone is in the UK they always seem to be selling it off in T M Lewin Shirtmakers. It does cover a lot and has information on a lot of topics covered on the forum. I always find the section on a luggage and that on accessories rather illuminating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24