Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ascots

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Turns out the Lady in the Formal hire shop is related to a cove at the office, i got him to phone her and say "I Have one of your Customers here" he handed the phone over and I told her i had been into the shop, she was very apologetic and was going to the Warehouse the following day she only hoped the "Cravats" had not been THROWN OUT!!!!, considering she was going to charge me $15.00 per item i think she should give them to me, i'm practicaly family!!!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Ethan Bentley said:
Has anyone ever tried making their own cravat?

Yes. IMO not a good use of time, unless you really, really want a particular pattern. I wanted a polka-dot WW2 RAF-type thing. Making the lining fit is the most difficult part.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I spoke to a friend of mine that makes his own neckties, bowties and cravats and he pointed me in the direction of this:

FREE CRAVAT PATTERN

Cut 1.5 yards white linen. Keep the selvage edge smooth.
Fold in half lengthwise.
Measure 10 inches on the fold and cut. This will give you an isosceles triangle, 55" x 10".
Hand sew a narrow hem on the slanted edges - the selvage edge is already finished.
Spray starch and iron.

I think this will give you a more formal cravat but it's a start.

Baron Kern

New in Town
katiemakeup said:
Is there a difference between an ascot and a cravat? Is it materials? Shape? How you tie it? Where/when you wear it?

An ascot is a style of cravat, the day ascot cravat tie is shorter than the formal length ascot cravat. They are ment to be worn tucked under the shirt.

The Ascot (also known as the Day Ascot Cravat tie):

yhst-73404718658914_2040_407499

A formal length ascot cravat:

SNB15040_001.JPG

These formal length cravats are worn over the shirt and go under the vest usually.

Then there is the Regency Cravats which is the old old style of cravat:

SNB14233_001.JPG

LordBest

Practically Family
Inspired by this thread I purchased my first cravat, I think I am addicted now as I will be purchasing many more. Not sure I am doing a particularlygood job of knotting the thing though
Cravat.jpg

Queue

Familiar Face
Quigley Brown said:
I tell you guys....wear an ascot your next time out on the town.;) I wore one for the first time last evening at my favorite spot for happy hour. I was astounded by the compliments from women I didn't know. Wearing a button-down shirt and fall sport coat I was told that 'men just don't know how to dress anymore' and 'you really know how to pull that look off.' It was a fun evening.

This comment, and others (and the fact that ascots/cravats are wicked) has made me want to take the plunge. Lionheart mentioned that his favorites 'J.Press and Ralph Lauren' and Spitfire endorced www.tiewarehouse.co.uk. Any other suggestions on where to get them, other than the usual ebay/classified section of the lounge?

Thanks!

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
Queue said:
This comment, and others (and the fact that ascots/cravats are wicked) has made me want to take the plunge. Lionheart mentioned that his favorites 'J.Press and Ralph Lauren' and Spitfire endorced www.tiewarehouse.co.uk. Any other suggestions on where to get them, other than the usual ebay/classified section of the lounge?

Thanks!

You may want to check out www.forzieri.com

Schofields

Familiar Face
i usually only wear an ascot at night, with my robe, as i get cold very easily, all year round :(

ill use whatever is available: ascot, wool scarf, etc. as long as it keeps me warm. looking good is a bonus too ;)

yoonie

Familiar Face
LordBest said:
Inspired by this thread I purchased my first cravat, I think I am addicted now as I will be purchasing many more. Not sure I am doing a particularlygood job of knotting the thing though
Cravat.jpg

I don't think the knot is the problem. Excuse me for saying so, but you've got a melon! I think that if you had wider collars and unbuttoned one more button, it would suit your face and proportions much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24