Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ascots

grantway

New in Town
weddingcravat_zps98a4c70e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hows this for a red cravat?

ascot day 001.jpg ascot day 002.jpg

Hi Folks

Where are all the ascot/cravat wearers? I sported an ascot today along with a dobbs fedora, compliments a plenty.
I like the casual look of the ascot while still adding some color and flair to a plain white shirt.. My .02
So come on folks, show some ascots.

Best regards.
CCJ

stevew443

One of the Regulars
I normally wear bow ties which means that I have several hundred neck ties that no longer get worn. On days that I do not wish to wear a bow tie I will take a neck tie and wear it as a day cravat. It is not quite as "puffy" as a proper day cravat, but it captures the style and allows me to shake up my wardrobe and get use out of my neck tie collection. I only keep the top button of the shirt undone so there is just a hint of color and texture around my neck, and gives a finished look to my wardrobe.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Here are some scans of my only two ascots, I have to admit to not having worn either of them

The first is a lot greener than it looks (by Tootal in rayon):
Greencravat0001_zps6ec0c581.jpg

I love the birds on this one (by harrods in silk):
Bluecravat0001_zps9099c192.jpg

Slobo

New in Town
Question: when wearing an ascot with a shirt with a detachable collar, is the collar worn with the ascot or not? Wondering more about the convention in Britain in the 1930s/40s. e.g. when it seemed popular for RAF pilots to wear them with service dress in place of a tie. It would seem off or the tab end on at least one side would flop about with no button to fasten it too but unfortunately, with the few RAF officer photos I've found, it's hard to distinguish collar on or collar off.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Question: when wearing an ascot with a shirt with a detachable collar, is the collar worn with the ascot or not? Wondering more about the convention in Britain in the 1930s/40s. e.g. when it seemed popular for RAF pilots to wear them with service dress in place of a tie. It would seem off or the tab end on at least one side would flop about with no button to fasten it too but unfortunately, with the few RAF officer photos I've found, it's hard to distinguish collar on or collar off.

In terms of RAF pilots during the war, 99.99999% of the time they were wearing silk scarves and not cravats. And they were wearing them with collars - that was the whole point of wearing a silk scarf, in order to resist chaffing from a starched collar whilst scanning the skies. Scarves worn by RAF aircrew and especially pilots were most often silk and very often also wool backed. Tootal scarves in particular were very popular and often in polka dot designs.

Slobo

New in Town
Were scarves typically worn inside or outside the shirt. At least one photo I have seen of Douglas Bader shows a rather prominent scarf apparently worn over the shirt but under the jacket collar.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Although Tootal scarves were rayon rather than silk.

Thanks for that, I had an old Tootal that I could have sworn was silk but thanks for clearing that up.

Were scarves typically worn inside or outside the shirt. At least one photo I have seen of Douglas Bader shows a rather prominent scarf apparently worn over the shirt but under the jacket collar.

I know the photo you mean and it was part of a press visit to 242 Sqn towards the end of the Battle of Britain and the pilots were stood down at the time so they are just mucking around in their flight gear for the cameras. Operationally the scarf was usually worn under the shirt like a cravat - remember it's prime purpose was to stop the stiff uniform collars from chaffing the neck due to the pilot moving his head constantly to check the sky for enemy aircraft.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
I have a vintage (not by 99% of the Lounge's population) 1970s tie in 100% cotton (that's right, NOT polyester!) that is nearly 4" wide in a very rectangular way, with the "thin" end wide as well. Would it be acceptable to wear it as an ascot?

-Quetzal

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I have a vintage (not by 99% of the Lounge's population) 1970s tie in 100% cotton (that's right, NOT polyester!) that is nearly 4" wide in a very rectangular way, with the "thin" end wide as well. Would it be acceptable to wear it as an ascot?

-Quetzal

Yes, there were cotton, silk, linen, and wool ties (and suits) made during the 1970s, as well, although polyester really was the fashion. I don't see why not, especially since the back end is wide enough for you. I think most people would see it as some form of an ascot or cravat. I may get one, eventually, but I'm concerned about getting it yellowed from constant wear. From what I understand, it's not like wearing a regular tie around the outer part of a shirt collar to prevent contact with the skin.

Esteban, I think that is a very good collection.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Thanks TT, yes it's pretty nice and a pattern I've not seen before, worn it several times already...I find cravats perfect for winter as I wear all my shirts open unless wearing a tie, a cravat keeps the chill off and provides a splash of colour....I prefer Tootal and Duggie to all others as the rayon mix is nice against the skin where as acetate and occasionally silk can be cooler and slip around quite bit in wear.
TG It's only part of the collection there's probably another twenty or so stashed about the place!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy