Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ascots

Edward

Bartender
There are (or at least before the recent server problem, were... should still be there) a couple of good threads on these from the last year, worth searching for.

To answer your question.... I'm currently wearing one right now with a shirt, blazer and jeans - worn informally, inside the shirt collar. More formally, they can be worn with formal daywear (morning dress), tied outsdie the collar either in the same "scarf" style as they tend to be under, or tied in a four in hand knot like a regular tie (gives something of that Victorian scrunchie necktie look). In terms of securing them in place, the best option is a cravat pin - try an eBay search, you'll find them available quite cheaply, mostly from wedding outfitters. As an aside, unpinned, you'll find cotton cravats stay put much better than finer, shinier fabrics such as silk or rayon.

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Classics said:
With what ought a well-dressed man wear them?

(And any advice on tying them so the knot doesn't slip?)

Cords and a tattersall shirt..
Moleskins and hacking Jacket

Tweed trousers and waistcoat..

All the usual..
walking0011.jpg

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Creeping Past said:
Superb! Particularly interested in the boots. May I ask what maker/vintage?
Hello there
the Boots are bespoke. i had them made in NZ by a company called the Last footwear Company.. Sadly they have stopped making bespoke items as far as I'm aware.

They are the best and most comfortable Boots i have ever had!!

RBH

MarkL

One of the Regulars
CharlestonBows said:
Kudos to Hemingway :eusa_clap -- I've done it as well. I love the ascot, and I love wearing them. We make them, and do a surprisingly healthy business with them. To me, it is one of the most underappreciated accessories in wardrobe. I think it's a smart look, adding formality while lending itself to a more relaxed application. Plus they are a lot of fun to wear!

I think I have a picture, if I can dig it out.

Go for it.
Happy to read that you make ascots. I'm going to check out your web site!

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
I do believe cravat goes very well with the bushjacket too.

And so does Edward Fox...

zinnemannchacal.jpg

Even goes well with Irvin's, cigar and strawhat.
L1010812.jpg

Toscanajuli2007053.jpg

Wow! Tmore wonderful photographs. Still love the one with the cigar best! You wear an ascot well...it fits you perfectly, Sir.

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Quigley Brown said:
I tell you guys....wear an ascot your next time out on the town.;) I wore one for the first time last evening at my favorite spot for happy hour. I was astounded by the compliments from women I didn't know. Wearing a button-down shirt and fall sport coat I was told that 'men just don't know how to dress anymore' and 'you really know how to pull that look off.' It was a fun evening.

I've had the same experience wearing an ascot...lots of compliments from lots of people.

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
Cravat (Ascot) goes with almost everything.:)
L1010837-2-1.jpg

Especially this traditional navy with white dots and the ol' Irvin.

You are sooooooooo right! Ascots can go with just about anything. I've got a navy with white dot one, too, pretty much identical to what you are wearing in this pic. It's one of my favorites.

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Indy Magnoli said:
Tried out the ascot/cravat/neckslip look... and love it! Very comfortable. :)

neck-slip.jpg

Please disregard the exploding pocket square... :eek:

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Exquisite look! That ascot is perfect on you and I really don't mind the "exploding pocket square" either!!! In fact, I rather like it. Keep wearing those ascots...it is a look that fits you well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR