Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nacho

Practically Family
Hey people, anybody knows where I can find a normal O ring zipper pull? I've found ball and chain zipper pulls but cannot find the O ring one. Any ideas?
You can try jump rings on Etsy. They come in different sizes I think.

Poltung

New in Town
Hello Loungers,

I come again with a question:
Can anyone here identify this jacket? This seems to be an old discontinued Aero Jacket, possibly in 4oz black CXSH? Could this be a fake Aero?
The model seems to be some kind of hybrid between the Highwayman with 1950s flight jacket style pockets, maybe a prototype?
@Hide'n'seek maybe you know something about this? Thanks!
Only info I found on the Transatlantic label is here:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/transatlantic-clothing-group-highwayman.78984/page-2
Hey there, maybe my post got lost in the website maintenance, does anyone have more info on this? Sorry if this is a double post

AHP91

Practically Family
In your opinion, what is the definitive book for leather jackets? Ideally one that spans multiple decades, includes lots of example pictures, etc.

Of course I hear lots about Tanaka's Motorcycle Jackets: A Century of Leather Design, also see lots of people liking Lightning Archive's Leather Jackets. I'm sure I'll probably buy more, but would like a recommendation on the "best" one to start with. Last time I saw discussion on this was years ago, unless I overlooked. Wanted to know if this has changed at all. Thanks

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
In your opinion, what is the definitive book for leather jackets? Ideally one that spans multiple decades, includes lots of example pictures, etc.

Of course I hear lots about Tanaka's Motorcycle Jackets: A Century of Leather Design, also see lots of people liking Lightning Archive's Leather Jackets. I'm sure I'll probably buy more, but would like a recommendation on the "best" one to start with. Last time I saw discussion on this was years ago, unless I overlooked. Wanted to know if this has changed at all. Thanks
I prefer the magazine one. The Tanaka book has a lot of fillers and hardback is always more for show by default. The magazine one is loaded with very good photos. I think there’s other prints of the magazine one.
looking to get a Schott book next.
IMG_7473.jpeg

Observe

One Too Many
I prefer the magazine one. The Tanaka book has a lot of fillers and hardback is always more for show by default. The magazine one is loaded with very good photos. I think there’s other prints of the magazine one.
looking to get a Schott book next.
Does the Lightning magazine pictured have a lot of Japanese in it? Looking up images on Google and it seems like there's some English with a mix of Japanese in there too. Am I missing anything by not being able to read the Japanese text?

AHP91

Practically Family
Does the Lightning magazine pictured have a lot of Japanese in it? Looking up images on Google and it seems like there's some English with a mix of Japanese in there too. Am I missing anything by not being able to read the Japanese text?
Also are you familiar with what appears to be the updated version of this book? Looks like it has less pages. Just want to get the one that will be the most comprehensive..

1687306629991.png

1687306644490.png

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
As far as I know there’s only been two Lightening Archives Vintage Jackets. The one I’ve got is the second print. Marc has the first print. Here,
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/lightning-archives-leather-jacket-book.100892/

honestly a lot of the jackets in the books have been posted here In this forum, just have to search. Maybe the photos aren’t as high definition but it’s been posted. There are a few very rare birds like the LA leather tog company but that brand is so niche most don’t care much for it anyways, killer design though.

I too can’t wait to see Terry Mitchells book.

There is no history of the vintage brands in any of these Lightening books. Especially on the brands that are no longer around. Mostly just picture of the jacket front and back and label, and not a lot of words, not like Playboy which actually have articles.

AHP91

Practically Family
As far as I know there’s only been two Lightening Archives Vintage Jackets. The one I’ve got is the second print. Marc has the first print. Here,
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/lightning-archives-leather-jacket-book.100892/

honestly a lot of the jackets in the books have been posted here In this forum, just have to search. Maybe the photos aren’t as high definition but it’s been posted. There are a few very rare birds like the LA leather tog company but that brand is so niche most don’t care much for it anyways, killer design though.

I too can’t wait to see Terry Mitchells book.

There is no history of the vintage brands in any of these Lightening books. Especially on the brands that are no longer around. Mostly just picture of the jacket front and back and label, and not a lot of words, not like Playboy which actually have articles.
Thanks, history would be nice but probably good to have a consolidated place for photos, makes it easier. Gonna go and get the 2019 version

Poltung

New in Town
Does this seem like a genuine LW A-2 to you? I couldn't find this lining on his website, and the "lost world" tag instead of the JA Dubow one seems weird.
Also, would would you say about the leather if the jacket is indeed LW?

Attachments

• i-img900x773-16852700916f8oxa130976.jpg
    i-img900x773-16852700916f8oxa130976.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 50
  • i-img1200x1100-1685269889ijjpcl117067.jpg
    i-img1200x1100-1685269889ijjpcl117067.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 49
  • i-img1200x1126-1685269961mvai4u116784.jpg
    i-img1200x1126-1685269961mvai4u116784.jpg
    583.3 KB · Views: 54
  • i-img1200x1100-1685269761oogfv2130918.jpg
    i-img1200x1100-1685269761oogfv2130918.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 47
  • i-img965x1200-1685270161zp8glx126055.jpg
    i-img965x1200-1685270161zp8glx126055.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 51
  • i-img947x1200-1685269761oxvwra130918.jpg
    i-img947x1200-1685269761oxvwra130918.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Albe64

One of the Regulars

I prefer Tanaka's book...but I am a huge fan of Rin....I love his point of view and I am collecting all of his books. another great one is "Harley Davidson book of fashion 1910-1950s". Lightning of course is always worthy...I am collecting them as well, but I prefer Tanaka's editing.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Does this seem like a genuine LW A-2 to you? I couldn't find this lining on his website, and the "lost world" tag instead of the JA Dubow one seems weird.
Also, would would you say about the leather if the jacket is indeed LW?
You lucked out that is a newer one I think. I like the newer leather better. I have the old one that LW did for the Japanese market, it has the Dubow label and that black and gold MiUSA lable on the side but no LW label, and it also has regular snaps and not united carr for the collar. So while you didn't get the Dubow label and mustard lining I'd say everything else is an upgrade compared to the older LW A2s for Japanese market.

thriftjuice

New in Town
Hi Everyone - long time lurker - first time poster. I recently found a Brown's Beach Jacket and am looking for help to identify whether it is an authentic original or a japanese reproduction piece. It was found with a significant amount of original vintage pieces from the 40s-60s. It only has a tag on the neckline and there are no areas that seem to have had interior tags removed from them. It has a few holes on the sleeves and moderates fraying at the wrists. The liner where the buttons are attached also is worn and frayed. Additionally at the bottom of the liner the pile is worn pretty thin by where one would maybe sit on it? Please find some pictures attached to my post - I can provide additional ones if needed too - Many thanks in advance! All best, J

Attachments

• _O9L7143.JPG
    _O9L7143.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 44
  • _O9L7142.JPG
    _O9L7142.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
  • _O9L7140.JPG
    _O9L7140.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
  • _O9L7139.JPG
    _O9L7139.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
  • _O9L7136.JPG
    _O9L7136.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
  • _O9L7129.JPG
    _O9L7129.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 39
  • _O9L7128.JPG
    _O9L7128.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
  • _O9L7122.JPG
    _O9L7122.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 43
  • _O9L7116.JPG
    _O9L7116.JPG
    704.5 KB · Views: 40
  • _O9L7150.JPG
    _O9L7150.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 39

Poltung

New in Town
Thanks! Would you say that the leather is as thick as their usual US market Horsehide?
You lucked out that is a newer one I think. I like the newer leather better. I have the old one that LW did for the Japanese market, it has the Dubow label and that black and gold MiUSA lable on the side but no LW label, and it also has regular snaps and not united carr for the collar. So while you didn't get the Dubow label and mustard lining I'd say everything else is an upgrade compared to the older LW A2s for Japanese market

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! Would you say that the leather is as thick as their usual US market Horsehide?
The LW A2 I have is somewhere between 2.5 oz to 3oz. The LW J24 I got here in the Classifieds is about 3.5oz to 4oz. The newer leather is less squeaky than the older one I got from Japan. At some point I would want to trade my brown A2 for a more current brown Suburban. Thickness don't actually matter to me at this point, but I do find the newer LW leather much nicer than the older stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari